Some good starting points for Batman

Hello all,

I am a new member. The amount of content is somewhat overwhelming. I am interested in Batman. I was wondering if anyone would suggest some series or issues that would be good starting points for a new reader? I don’t have an extensive comic background but I am somewhat familiar with the major characters. I know that there are multiple Robins but I don’t know much more than that. I would appreciate any advice you wish to share.

2 Likes

I’m currently reading Batman: Arkham Knight. I’ve only read a few issues, so I don’t know much about it, but the few I have read are pretty good.

1 Like

My go to recommendation for new readers looking for Batman material is Batman: Hush. All of the major heroes and villains of the Batman franchise are featured to some degree, the story is intriguing and the art is phenomenal. You don’t need to know anything about Batman or other titles and so on before going into it. It’s perfect.

2 Likes

Batman: The Court Of Owls Vol. 1 is a great introduction into the New 52 iteration as well as Scott Snyder’s run on the character. It’s not bogged down in the previous continuity which is the coolest thing about it and acts as an almost fresh take.
If it’s single arcs you’re looking for, Hush is pretty great. Long Halloween is a classic.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Is Court of the Owls the same as Batman Annual #1 (2012-)? That comes up when I use that search term. I don’t get a response when I search for Batman: Hush. At least nothing that is called Batman: Hush.

1 Like

Legends of the dark knight. 100 issues of classic Batman tales. Watch Batman the Animated series. Amazing show. Batman eternal.

1 Like

If you like more modern comics, try Batman Eternal. There are a lot of issues currently available and the artwork is amazing.

Batman: Hush is great but not currently available on DC Universe.
Court of Owls is Batman (2011-) and one of my favorites, but unfortunately only the first 3 issues of the full 7-issue story are available here.
Long Halloween is interesting, not my favorite but no longer available here.

1 Like

The Hush arc of Batman isn’t on DCU at the moment. I recommended it more from a general standpoint. It’s free on Hoopla though. It runs from issues 608-619 of the Batman (1940-2011) ongoing series.

Batman Annual #1 (from 2012) is part of the Night of the Owls crossover. The first three issues of The Court of Owls are on DCU. They’re part of The New 52 Batman (2011-2016) series.

Under The Hood (later retitled Under the Red Hood), should be here. That’s a great read.

3 Likes

This is what im doing and im enjoying the hell outta it.

Batman Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
A Death in the Family
A Lonely Place of Dying
Under the Red Hood

Also watching Batman TAS.

1 Like

The best place to start with Batman will always be Batman: Year One. That said, there are 80 issues of Batman vol 1 on this site and I would strongly recommend you start there. These issues will introduce you to “The” Batman as The World’s Greatest Detective. That’s the quintessential Batman–take no substitutes.

2 Likes

Just don’t read my death :wink:

2 Likes

The most underrated story that is epic and different then anything you would read is No Mans Land. I don’t know if its on here but that story line is what got me back into comics. Got lots of villains, gives us a different batman, amd introduces a lot of the batverse for a big arc.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind reading older comics Batman: The Brave and the Bold will introduce u to rarer characters as well as the mainstays.

2 Likes

Started Batman & the Outsiders last night. Been a long, long time since I’d read them, and I didn’t read as many as they have on here right now back then. But I liking em a lot. If you watch Batman Brave & Bold series, watch the outsiders episodes & you’ll have enough to go on. If u want to be thorough, watch those & Justice League the episode titled Metamorphosis,that will give u origin of Metamorpho, but honestly the Brave & Bold eps with outsiders anywhere in the title will only take a sec to watch & u could read those & follow like a pro.

Year One is the best starting point it is a quick read to they may have taken it off but it’s worth a hard copy. Also Legends of the Dark Knight has issues on here. There are a lot, but each storyline is pretty self contained.