Signed/Remarked comics

What are everyone’s thoughts on signed or remarked comics? Do you see them as more valuable or ruining the integrity of the original artwork with a pen/marker?

idk… for those exact reasons i usually have whoever sign the sleeve that i keep the comic in…

Not interested in autographs myself (why people are is rather mystifying to me). I’d rather shake someone’s hand, thank them for their work and if time allows sit down and talk to them about said work(s).

2 Likes

I love to collect autographs on comics whenever I get the opportunity. It’s not about comic value, but a representation of connecting with a creator. I’ve gotten some of my favorite personal anecdotes from behind the scenes just from bringing a comic for a creator to sign. If you ever meet me in person, ask me what Jim Starlin taught me about the real difference between Marvel and DC.

1 Like

I honestly think they are hideous on vintage books. If its a high grade vintage book, I want it unsigned and no remarks. Before artist always signed the inside of the book because they didnt want to ruin the artwork. So many people have key books signed that its gonna be hard to find a new high grade book unsigned. I love Neal Adams’ covers and I dont want his sloppy signature on my books. So it’s a no-no for me. I’d rather have them sign the inside or the back.

I’m a mixed bag of sorts. I really like remarked comics because it’s usually a one of a kind doodle of the artist but I also agree if I had the choice I’d rather it be inside the cover than right on the cover art.

Got myself a death of superman black bag edition signed and the tombstone cover signed by dan jurgens as well as a poster he drew for the event

1 Like

In the last 3 years I started to become interested in obtaining autographs on my books and comics. I feel like it adds to my own personal story of my fandom and something I can show my son when he’s older. I do appreciate the art and writing and the effort that goes into the creation of these worlds of imagination. And if I can shake the hand of a person who helped sculpt it and add their actual signature to a creation of theirs that I really enjoy, then even better.
So far I met James O’Barr, Neal Adams Mike De Carlo and Scott Hanna. I’m hoping to meet Ann Nocenti, Jim Starlin and George Perez this year at the East Coast Comic Con in NJ. My dream is to meet Lee Bermejo, Brian Azzarello, Chuck Dixon and Matt Wagner.

1 Like

I have one signed comic. Preacher #1 signed by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. It means lot to me and I plan on never parting with it especially after Dillon’s passing.

More to my point I think it adds value to those who value it. Otherwise if it’s an issue I’m trying to sell I think most would prefer non signed
Comics.

They have value to me if I have them signed at a show or appearance where I meet the creator, otherwise no. I won’t pay extra for a signed book, and I don’t really value the signature itself if I am not the one who acquired it. I have picked up signed copies without realizing it as I dug books out of bins at shows or stores, and the signatures on those books mean nothing to me, but ones I have signed, I almost always have the creator personalize it as well, and so it becomes a memento of meeting the creator, and usually gets framed and displayed. It’s little things that make them special-Kevin Eastman drew a little turtle head shot after his signature when I had him sign a book when I met him, Mark Waid used a braille stamp to sign copies of Daredevil in addition to his own signature, Steve Englehart wrote me a little note on a copy of his novel Point Man because I was the first to bring him a copy of that to sign in a couple of decades, P. Craig Russell signed a bunch of books for me over the course of a 2-day con and told me stories about working on each one as he signed them and took the time to make each one unique in some way, etc.

It all goes back to the first book I had signed and the first time I met a comic creator-Dick Giordano was doing a store signing at the shop I went to in high school. It was the week Watchmen #1 came out and he was Executive Editor of DC at the time. He spent a few hours at the store talking all the new stuff DC had going, signing stuff for folks, etc. I stayed the whole time he was there just absorbing it all in, the first time meeting someone who made the books that had brought so much joy to me. Towards the end, he saw me glance at Watchmen #1, flip through it and go to put it back. He said to me, you’ll regret not buying that. It’s one of the best comics I have ever read, so I’ll tell you what, buy it, I’ll sign it to you with a money back guarantee. If you don’t like it, bring it back here and show Hal (the store owner) the signature, he’ll give you your money back and I’ll pay him back next time I see him (Hal knew a lot of the old school comic creators who resided in Connecticut and did the CT to NY commute and they did appearances at his store and cons). I’ll never forget that moment, and that singed book still holds a real special place in my collection. It added nothing to the monetary value of the book, but the book is priceless to me.

So, the value comes from the experience not from the ink added to the book. As for reselling, I wouldn’t ask someone to sign something unless I intended on keeping it, so to me it’s a moot point.

Of course others will disagree with me, but that’s cool.

-M

1 Like

The value in it for me absolutely comes from getting it signed myself. The only exception is if the writer/artist is deceased, in which case I don’t have the opportunity to get it signed myself

I have around 30 DC comics signed by Neal Adams, Denny O’Neil, Artgerm, Amanda Connor, Chuck Dixon, Kevin Smith (x2), Scott Snyder, Krul, Greg Capullo, Jonathan Glapion, Henry Cavill, the list goes on. I have NO intentions selling these books anytime soon because they are all witnessed by CGC and they will always hold value. The books I have signed are significant me due to the art on the cover or the beginning of a killer story arc, a character’s first appearance, a death of a major character, etc. So to answer the question imo I feel the signatures/remarks add to the value whether it be personal value or investment.

I like signed comics but only the ones that I have had the artist/ writer sign. It’s a chance to thank them for their work
I frame them

1 Like