Should Swamp Thing be Rated R???

Some comments about the content of Doom Patrol sparked a bit of “content rating” banter in another thread. I stood by the content but want to move away from what has already been revealed and ask what all of you want or expect from Swamp Thing as far as rating and content. Personally, I am hoping for a rated R series for the horrific aspect more than anything else. I feel that we just can’t keep true to Alan Moore and the monster that is Swamp Thing if we get rid of the gritty scariness of the story. Please let me know what you think and why.

3 Likes

I would agree that it should have an R or TV-MA rating. I think it would be hard to stay true to the source material without it.

1 Like

I read back when they were first planning it, they were talking about making it a hard r for the horror aspects. That was internet conjecture so who knows, but the way things are going with the other shows I don’t think they’ll shy away from anything. I’m super stoked. Love Doom Patrol so far and am really looking forward to Titans next year

1 Like

Things can be rated R/MA for different reasons. I don’t mind the rating in and of itself, my issue is that a lot of the time things start to feel thrown in just because they can in the rating. It pulls me out of the show with a sense of “wow, that really didn’t feel like that belonged there.” It just ends up feeling forced to me.
SO, to finally answer your question (:joy:), I wouldn’t mind if it had an R rating, but I don’t want to feel like things were added in just because they could get away with it in an R feature.

1 Like

Horror should always be rated “R”.

2 Likes

Swamp Thing is going to be rated at least ‘R’. For those familiar with Alan Moore’s run of Saga of the Swamp Thing, which is operating as the inspiration, you can understand this rating.
To get a good sense of the sensibility, look at the executive producer, James Wan’s work: IT, The Conjuring, The Nun, the Saw series, and more.

4 Likes

is reminded of the remarks of one of the Flanders’ kids at Uncle Moe’s Family Feedbag

I would expect that kind of language at HBO, but not here! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi, we are psyched about Swamp Thing! Definitely want to watch. We are also planning a Swamp Thing food party of sorts. We thought about seeing it with grandparent who is unable to move about, and with teens. Does anyone know if it’s truly a hard R, or is it more a PG-13? Is it rated for mainly fictional type violence (e.g., Walking Dead initial pilot - small screen foreshadowing and closing eyes might take care of it), or does it have nudity, human sex scenes and mature topics (which would remove our teens from the viewership, and grandpa - more difficult to unsee and hear - think American Gods as one example). Thanks for any advice.

1 Like

It’ll be TV MA just like Titans and Doom Patrol.

2 Likes

Thanks, are going to Grandpa’s and will watch tomorrow!

1 Like

No nudity or sex scenes, but intense and violent.

1 Like

No nudity! That’s a mistake in horror. The show is off to a good start though.

1 Like