Set The Mood: The Human Target

setthemood

Happy Human Target Tuesday!

I’ve been looking forward to this one for a while, being both a mystery nut and a sucker for that rough graphite art style. It did not disappoint.

The Human Target now has a place right up there with The Nice House On The Lake for me – a glorious piece of eyecandy that also provides that very curt, very witty type of narration that I love. With much the same treatment as anyone else in his life will get, Christopher’s anti-social personality lends itself to the way he keeps even his readers at bay with the strictly matter-of-fact way he tells his own story.

Of course, this method backfires on him in that it only leaves me wanting more … :eyes:

Anyway. My board’s a little crazy this week, but so fits the motif of the first issue!

QUICK Q&A:

Hold up, Static. What the heck is a moodboard?
Putting it simply, moodboards are a series of graphics that are used as a way of capturing the atmosphere surrounding a particular subject to briefly immerse the viewer into the “mood” of said subject. Kind of like collages! Which is why there’s no right or wrong way to make one. You could make one entirely out of relevant quotes, or organize one by a certain color palette, or just fill it up with pics of things that represent the subject point-blank. It’s your board!

How do I make a moodboard? How do I post it here?
Personally, I find the easiest way to make moodboards is through Pinterest. For those who aren’t familiar with the site, it’s a hub for images/videos that can be added to “boards” you create based on personal interests or whatever you’re particularly searching for. Many people use it for the sole purpose of creating moodboards, so there’s plenty of stuff to work with there if you’re not inclined to create one from scratch.

That said, you’re also free to make one through any editing program if you don’t wanna go about making a whole Pinterest account! Just paste the graphic(s) here as you would any other image. If you’re doing a Pinterest board, feel free to drop the link to it, or provide a preview screenshot!

And finally, for those who don’t wanna do either of those things but still want to participate, you’re more than welcome to create a moodboard of your own here by posting any pictures you may find relevant and just sort of talking about your thought process on them. (Ex. post a photo of masks and talk about how that may relate to “Crazy” Jane.) Otherwise, feel free to just openly discuss your thoughts on the topic at hand.

As always, remember to keep all contents of this thread respective of the Forum Guidelines. This includes doing your civil duties to keep a check on profanity, keep things SFW, and remain respectful towards one another’s work. For now, let’s also stick to posting :warning: ONE BOARD PER PERSON (PER TOPIC)! :warning:

7 Likes

Ok I think I finally get how this works so let me try it out! May take a big longer tho

3 Likes

Art takes time!

4 Likes

5 Likes

SO QUICK!

Great board too! Our minds were on the exact wavelength with the board-full-of-evidence-stuff-with-the-string-that-I-don’t-know-the-official-name-of. That’s EXACTLY what I think of when I think of The Human Target – this guy who’s got everyone played and must surely be driving people insane somewhere.

4 Likes

Thanks @staticshocks!

4 Likes

I love your mood board, @staticshocks Yours too, @Jurisdiction! Christopher Chance has always been one of my favourite characters. Here is mine.

6 Likes

Love it!!!

4 Likes

Absolutely crushing it!

I love all the different faces you included for him here. As a long-time fan, are there any particular portrayals of Christopher that you prefer over others? Both in comic and TV/movie :eyes:

3 Likes

It’s hard to choose, but I think my favorite may still be Len Wein’s original back-up stories in Action Comics and Detective Comics back in the Seventies. The Human Target seems to be particularly suited to short, episodic stories! As for portrayals in other media, my favorite is the 2010 series that aired on Fox. It differed a bit from the comics, but I thought Mark Valley made a perfect Christopher Chance. I was so disappointed when Fox cancelled it, particularly as it seemed to me to be the network’s fault. They kept pre-empting it!

3 Likes

Love all the moodboards on here for the human target! Loved it so much had to go and give it a read and make one myself! really loving vol 5, and can’t wait for issue 7.

7 Likes

Hey there, Joose! Thanks so much for joining our community and participating!

I absolutely love your board! All the floating elements on top of the target overlay are really visually enticing. Plus the contrast of the analogous background behind a more saturated Christopher … chef’s kiss! :pinched_fingers:

Speaking of this particular run, I caught a small Twitter thread yesterday Greg Smallwood put together that consisted of all the resources/inspiration he uses to create certain elements in the Human Target series. I found it pretty interesting to see how he incorporates mid-century modern shapes into the realism of the actual artwork. I wonder how he maps those pages out …

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @joosegoose! That looks awesome btw!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community! That is a cool board.

3 Likes

I saw that! It’s pretty inspiring how Greg Smallwood is so open about his process and resources that he uses. He also shared some of the brushes he uses for his art a while back! One of my favourite things he’s shared is this website Kern type, It’s a letter spacing game thats quite helpful. Can’t wait to see more stuff he shares!

4 Likes