Set The Mood: Static, Then & Now

setthemood

After a month of tackling Milestone Returns, I’m eager to close it off with my (obvious) personal favorite – but since I’d already done a Static board late last year, I thought it’d be cool to revisit his comic history as a whole and pick out some of my favorite scenes to compare to the vision of Static: Season One.

With excerpts from Static (1993 - 1997), Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool, and Milestone Returns: Infinite Edition, I created a different style of moodboard that’s more like a scrapbook of important events/characters in Static’s life. :zap:

The origin of the Big Bang tends to be one of the biggest differences between the Milestone and Milestone Returns storylines. In the initial Static comics, Virgil came to Paris Islands’ “Ground Zero” with plans to murder his school bully, Martin “Biz Money B” Scaponi, due to the then-prevalent pressure of gangbangers. After a sudden change of heart, Virgil heads to the docks to toss the gun he’d loaned from a friend, only to soon after be caught right in the middle of a giant turf war – one that was dispersed by the infamous Quantum Juice tear-gas that changed Virgil’s life.

In Milestone Returns, however, the Q-Juice tear gas was used with unnecessary force against peaceful protestors (among those being Virgil and his friends). The scene of the Big Bang here was a lot more gruesome and focused more on the gorier details of what it felt like to be mutated, quite literally comparing it to dying. Needless to say, this take on the Big Bang was a lot harder to read for all the right details.

On a much happier note – I’m always down for a good costume origin story, and I love that Virgil made his all on his own! Specifically in Static: Season One, we get further detail on his sewing skills and learn that his older sister, Sharon, was the one to teach him, and used to help make costumes for him and his friends’ fantasy adventures as a kid. Too cute.

I know that Season One artist Nikolas Draper-Ivey also aims to keep a lot of his designs on par with those of the original comic, so it’s really cool to see that reflected in Static’s first take on his costume in Season One.

As for friends, it’s interesting to see how vague his relationship was with Richie – then called “Rick” – in the Milestone comics. I love how they expanded on their friendship over time. That goes for Frieda too, who we can see has practically the exact same hairstyle in the first two panels up there. I wonder if that was intentional!

And finally, another huge difference between these series is where Hotstreak is involved. The main essence of blatant racism and ironic appropriation of Black culture is still hot on this one (pun intended), but otherwise he’s had a pretty big turn in design – and even a few name changes over the years!

(R.I.P additional alias “F-Stop”).

QUICK Q&A:

Hold up, Static. What the heck is a moodboard?
Putting it simply, moodboards are a series of graphics that are used as a way of capturing the atmosphere surrounding a particular subject to briefly immerse the viewer into the “mood” of said subject. Kind of like collages! Which is why there’s no right or wrong way to make one. You could make one entirely out of relevant quotes, or organize one by a certain color palette, or just fill it up with pics of things that represent the subject point-blank. It’s your board!

How do I make a moodboard? How do I post it here?
Personally, I find the easiest way to make moodboards is through Pinterest. For those who aren’t familiar with the site, it’s a hub for images/videos that can be added to “boards” you create based on personal interests or whatever you’re particularly searching for. Many people use it for the sole purpose of creating moodboards, so there’s plenty of stuff to work with there if you’re not inclined to create one from scratch.

That said, you’re also free to make one through any editing program if you don’t wanna go about making a whole Pinterest account! Just paste the graphic(s) here as you would any other image. If you’re doing a Pinterest board, feel free to drop the link to it, or provide a preview screenshot!

And finally, for those who don’t wanna do either of those things but still want to participate, you’re more than welcome to create a moodboard of your own here by posting any pictures you may find relevant and just sort of talking about your thought process on them. (Ex. post a photo of masks and talk about how that may relate to “Crazy” Jane.) Otherwise, feel free to just openly discuss your thoughts on the topic at hand.

As always, remember to keep all contents of this thread respective of the Forum Guidelines. This includes doing your civil duties to keep a check on profanity, keep things SFW, and remain respectful towards one another’s work. For now, let’s also stick to posting :warning: ONE BOARD PER PERSON (PER TOPIC)! :warning:

How do you feel about some of the differences in Static’s origin story?

2 Likes

Hope you like this as a tribute to one of my favorite writer. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes