[RR: Red Hood 2] Under the Hood, Pt. 2: June 8-21

Yeah, I definitely think that the Pit amplified it. I’ve always suspected some level of lingering brain damage was a factor, too… we saw the Pit fixing most of it, but there are some brain damage patterns which would also contribute to some of the symptoms and personality changes we see Jason demonstrating. (I definitely think he also has PTSD.)

2 Likes

Hello

I’m not so sure that it’s so much the bolded as it is a correlation between the surrounding events and his emotional response to those events when women are involved.

In the “Diplomat’s Son” Jason was at first angered at Gloria’s rape and at the callous disregard Felipe Garzonas had for his crimes against women, including Gloria. As angry as he was I’m not 100% sure he would have killed Garzonas at that point since he believed justice would be done. (I do suppose an arguement could be made that since Jay lived on the streets and likely would have seen this type of crime bushed aside he realistically wouldn’t have believed that but maybe he thought Batman’s involvement would somehow make this one stick.) He only became enraged when it became clear Garzonas was going to walk and when he threatened Gloria in front of him. The tipping point was her suicide though. That shot his rage to an even higher level.

I think Jason feels emotions very deeply maybe moreso than the rest of the Robins. So that may also have something to do with all this and with his reactions to being replaced by Tim, Joker still being alive and to Bruce’s “antiquated moral code”.

Definitely. He was unable to save his mother from drugs in the past continuity, which may have had something to do with his attempting to save his bio mom later on even though she had betrayed him.

That’s true. Makes you wonder what he saw on the streets or maybe in his own home prior to Bruce taking him in. I’ve known people who lived for a time on the streets and the things they’ve seen ain’t pretty.

I agree on both counts.

2 Likes

I don’t have much to say that hasn’t already been said, but I wanted to mention that I appreciated the Teen Titans issue and the Annual. I think they did a good job giving us more of a window into how Jason was feeling; he’s not simply angry, he’s also hurt that it seems (to him) everyone has moved on and forgotten him.

As for who is right, this is one of those times where I can see where both characters are coming from and I could probably convince myself either way. Ultimately, nobody was a winner in this scenario, so I suppose Joker was right.

One final thought, Batman wasn’t going to kill Joker, but he didn’t have to save him.

3 Likes

I think those issues helped clarify what Jason was feeling as well. I don’t think he was just hurt by the idea that the others moved on and seemingly forgot him. I think he might feel betrayed by the idea as well.

One of the last things Jason likely remembers from just before he died is his birth mother’s betrayal and that may be coloring how he sees Tim, Bruce not avenging him back then and his unwillingness to do so now.

That’s very true.

4 Likes

After Zero Hour, Batman tended to go out of his way to keep the Joker alive. For instance, see this story covered by the Dick Grayson club:

2 Likes

I think a part of both of those scenarios is that Bruce couldn’t stand to see blood on his kids’ hands… I’m not convinced Bruce would save the Joker if the Joker was, like, about to fall to his death after his own plans blew up in his face, but I don’t think Bruce has it in him to let others become killers on his watch.

I bet there’s definitely like five stories that contradict that thesis, though.

4 Likes

Late to the party sorry. Really good issues, loved the fight and dialog between tim and jason.

2 Likes