[RR: Jason Todd] 1-900 FAN VOTE: Apr. 27-May 10

• How do you feel about the characterization of Jason Todd in these stories?

I have mixed feelings. I feel like Starlin managed to introduce some really compelling aspects to Jason… this is one of the first and biggest times we see Jason getting really bothered by violence against women and children, something I’ve always found really compelling. Jason here feels like someone acting out not out of paternalistic chivalry, but out of identification with the victims he encounters, and it’s rare to see. It’s something I really love about him. It’s also something that was done to make him unlikable…

• What is your opinion of the Dumpster Slasher story?

I actually really like it. Very underrated Jason story. Everyone always points to The Diplomat’s Son when talking about the roots of Jason’s anger at violence against women and children and forgets about the Dumpster Slasher story, even though I think it’s a better execution of a lot of the same themes. You can tell that it really gets under Jason’s skin and leads him to lash out, and the scene with him losing it on the pimp who was abusing the sex worker who worked for him is great. I felt like the ending was weak, though. Despite being a Jason fan, I am in fact not on board with Red Hood’s stabby modus operandi, but Batman’s defense of his no-kill code at the end there is just… bad. It’s extremely “because the author said so, that’s why” instead of making a good case for it.

• What is your opinion of the Back-Up story?

Tonally completely at odds with the rest of this week’s selection. Extremely adorable. More people need to remember that Jason did well in school and wanted to join the drama club but had no time.

• If you have read The Cult, how do you feel about Jason’s depiction in that story?

I got a kick out of Jason slapping Batman… Mostly, I liked it. I feel like seeing Batman brought so low was probably formative for Jason.

• What is your opinion of the Diplomat’s Son story?

Mixed. It’s a dark story that really informs a lot of my understanding of Jason, and his identifying with Gloria and being so furious and desperate to get justice for her is very good, but wow there were some… Choices… made with Felipe.

• What is your opinion of A Death in the Family?

Not super positive.

2 Likes