Recommend comics to PrincessAmethyst

Well, here’s what I’m reading right now (all heavily Bat-Family focused, and they tend to tie into each other a lot):

(Alright, I lied; I already finished this first one a while back, but it’s helpful to understand some of the others) Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend: One of the big '90s Bat-Crossovers. Knightquest has a bit too much padding and not enough coordination between the five writers (I consider it a guilty pleasure nonetheless), but Knightfall is a classic and very effective at setting up Bane as a serious threat, while Knightsend is a great deconstruction of early '90s anti-heroes. The (much shorter) story arc Batman: Prodigal is sort of an epilogue, while the Batman: Sword of Azrael and Batman: Vengeance of Bane miniseries are the introductions for the major antagonists.

Robin (1993): It apparently got really bad after One Year Later, but as far as I’ve read (Issue #112), it’s a cool series. Probably worth reading the three Robin miniseries that came before it, though. Regardless, it’s got cool character drama and helped establish Tim Drake as a likable protagonist in his own right rather than just the kid sidekick. If you like superheroes juggling out-of-costume drama with their masked antics, that’s a major chunk of the conflict. Not my thing usually, but well-done for what it is.

Azrael (1995): This series is kind of sad, because it keeps almost being good. I find Jean-Paul’s conflict with his violent alter ego to be compelling, and some of the extended storylines are more compelling than others (the first twenty-five issues probably being the best, if kind of goofy). Both this and the Robin ongoing spun out from the Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend arc, so that may be helpful reading if you feel up to it. Anyway, this series has lots of great ideas, but kind of got starved by the lack of acknowledgement from other titles and being stuck with one writer for its full hundred-issue run. Denny O’Neil’s good, but there are several points that feel like they should be the end of the story and/or a transition point for a new writer to jump in, and weren’t. I know, I know, I’m supposed to be recommending it, not criticizing it. Like I said, there are a lot of cool, creative ideas, and the first twenty-five issues definitely have an interesting plot with cool intrigue and stuff. I’d say if you’re still invested in the characters at the end of that initial plot, you’ll be interested in where it goes from there, but otherwise it might be time to bail.

Nightwing (1996): Just a really, really fun series. Lots of interesting villains, solid drama, cool action, and a sense of humor. The original Chuck Dixon run is awesome, and while the Devin Grayson run is supposed to be bad, it seems like a solid continuation to me as of issue #78. If there’s an issue, it’s Scott McDaniel’s art (from the first forty issues or so), which can be a little repetitive and hard to discern what’s going on. Pre-tracing Greg Land is pretty solid, though, and the subsequent artists so far have been fairly unremarkable one way or another. Regardless, this is so far one of two candidates for my favorite series ever (discounting really long-runners like Detective Comics). The other candidate is…

Birds of Prey (1998): There were some one-shots prior to the ongoing, but honestly, those were kind of bland and repetitive compared to the ongoing itself. Either way, the ongoing is a fantastic series for pretty much the same reasons as Nightwing: it’s just a fun and exciting mix of action, drama, and humor. Plus, Oracle being awesome. I’m told I haven’t even gotten to the good part yet, either. I’m still on Gilbert Hernandez’s short run between the much longer Chuck Dixon and Gail Simone runs. Though while I’m on the subject, Casey Jones’ art on the Hernandez run is beautiful. It’s a shame that (He? She? Couldn’t find any information) didn’t do much else other than a similarly short-lived run on Outsiders, because these twelve or so issues are just lovely to look at.

Batgirl (2000): So, on the plus side, Cassandra Cain is a cool, likable character, and there are some great moments here. On the minus side, Damion Scott’s art is blobby and inconsistent, which wouldn’t be such a problem if the book didn’t rely so heavily on visual storytelling. Plus, the writing sometimes seems to just throw in some villains without any real explanation of who they are or why they’re doing what they’re doing. It’s also really decompressed, so if you don’t like it, that’s fine; you can read any given issue in about sixty seconds (that’s an exaggeration, but you get the point). Basically, if you go in just looking for a quick dose of Cass being awesome, that’s what you’ll get, but it’s a little rough around the edges.

2 Likes

@PrincessAmethyst, I’m really happy you enjoyed the Batwoman run in Detective so much. It’s so good. You might want to go into her own series next, it started in 2011 with the #0 but the payout is a bit jumbled here on DCU because of the annuals, another #0, and a Futures End issue. You should enjoy the whole series but the first arc (Hydrology) is something else. The art is gorgeous, the paneling is insane, and I think these early stories (Elegy, Go, Hydrology) are what the CW Batwoman show could be based around.

2 Likes

(payout = layout)

2 Likes

My favorite run was the New 52 run by Christy Marx and Aaron Lopresti. I have some of the original incarnation comics from the early 1980’s, but I don’t remember them well; I guess those early issues didn’t leave an impression on me.

1 Like

By the way, I just wanted to pop in and say that if what I said sounded like a recommendation of Devin Grayson’s Nightwing run, I rescind it. The first six or seven issues are fine, but then it starts flailing around like a child throwing a tantrum, breaking anything from the previous run that it can, and there’s one extremely upsetting moment that goes completely unacknowledged in subsequent issues. I mean, I’m not one who’s easily upset or offended, but boy howdy did Grayson pull it off. I’m sticking it out due to loyalty to the character, but if anybody wants to read that series, just skip Grayson’s run.

I have no idea what happened there, either. Her Titans run from the 1998 series was great (another one worth checking out, actually - but maybe don’t bother with Jay Faerber’s run in the latter half of the series), and what I read of her work on Gotham Knights was solid too, but wow.

Also, on the subject of my other recommendations:
I’ve finally gotten into Gail Simone’s run on Birds of Prey, and it’s exactly as awesome as everyone says it is. That is a series that just makes me happy when I read it.

Dylan Horrocks’ (the second long-term writer after Kelley Puckett) run on Batgirl is weird, because it starts off really clunky and weird and kinda bad, but then a couple arcs in gets really good. Maybe he got a better editor? Since I brought up the art before, the title also went through a bunch more artists. Adrian Sibar was pretty similar to Damion Scott (but maybe a little better in terms of being able to follow the action), Rick Leonardi was just kind of average, and Mike Huddleston has the kind of dynamic, stylized art style that Scott and Sibar were going for, but the difference is that it actually looks good and is easy to follow.

2 Likes

Tom Kings Grayson was phenomenal. If anyone wants a good Nightwing run. Its more of a spy story.

2 Likes

Camelot 3000

1 Like

@Misfit, I adore Camelot 3000. It was a comic that I got to read part of when I was growing up. My dad had several issues of it. I own the hardcover edition of it. I found it at a discount store where I live for pretty cheap. Even though I am saying this, I am going to add it to the list for a reread, since it has been many years since I have read it. It will be the one though that I read from my own physical copy when I get to it. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

Saga of the swamp thing Love and death

1 Like

Wonder Woman from the New 52

Brian Azzarello’s run is really good. The art is also unique and very good. Its also a good starting point for the character if your new to her comics.

2 Likes

I’ve only had this app for two hours so I don’t know if it’s on here but try to check out the Superman story “What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice, And The American Way?” or the movie adaptation “Superman vs The Elite”. The story is about the public at large becoming tired of Superman’s kid gloves and support for a new super team called The Elite rises. They are not afraid to find and kill anyone they see as criminals, or anyone that tries to stand up to them. It’s a good ethical discussion and really examines why Superman doing what Superman does is so important.

It’s Action Comics #775

Peter Tomasi is an underrated writer. I think hes pretty consistent in terms of quality.

I think he has consistently put out great work.

Super Sons(2017), Superman Rebirth (2016), Batman and Robin(New 52), Batman Arkham Knight(2015), Adventures of Super Sons(Current), his recent stuff on Detective Comics(Current).

3 Likes

@MajorZuma Tomasi’s New 52 Batman and Robin was pretty sweet too.

2 Likes

D’oh! You did include his N52 B&R. My mistake.

whistles as he walks away inconspicuously

2 Likes

Here is the list of where I am currently with everything. I also updated the list to include everyone’s recommendations that I am taking to this point. Just another reminder, if you recommend a title please give me a reason why you are recommending it to me.

YoYoFroYo - Batman: Black Mirror – Detective Comics 871-881 - FINISHED
Jay_Kay – Detective Comics 854-857, 858-860 - FINISHED
Jay_Kay- Justice League Dark 9-13 (annual #1 is part) STARTING AT #1 and #1 read
Vroom – Ambush Bug: Year None - FINISHED
Multiple – New Frontier - STARTED
LeonardoMyst – Catwoman: Selina’s Big Score
Vroom – DC Universe: Legacies
Biff_pow – All-Star Superman
ColdSmokeMike – DC Annuals (1996)
ColdSmokeMike – DC Elseworlds (category on DCU)
ColdSmokeMike – Secret Six (2006) (I will read first story arc)
ColdSmokeMike – the Atlantis Chronicles
BatJamags – Superman Annual #11
BatJamags – Batman: Legacy Detective Comics #700
BatJamags – Wonder Woman (1987) 1-7
BatJamags - The Flash (1987) –73-79
BatJamags - Green Lantern (2005) 29-35
DanTheManOne1 – Kingdom Come
DanTheManOne1 – Harley Quinn (2013)
DanTheManOne1 – DC Comics Presents #63 - FINISHED
DanTheManOne1 – DC Comics Presents #81 - FINISHED
DanTheManOne1 – Superman: Secret Identity
Vroom – Superman and Bugs Bunny - STARTED
HubCityQuestion – DC 1st: Batgirl/Joker - FINISHED
Mae – The Huntress (1989) first arc for now
TurokSonofStone1950 – Superman: Lois and Clark
Nathan.Payson – SuperSons 1-5
TurokSonofStone1950 – Huntress (2011)
Stormnation – Red Robin (2009-2011) 1-12
TheDemonEtrigan – Flash (2011) 1-5
TheDemonEtrigan – Demon Knights 0-7
MajorZuma – Kingdom Come
Vroom – Batman and the Outsiders (2007) 1-7
Misfit – Justice League/Titans: The Technis Imperative
BatJamags – Robin (1993)
BatJamags – Azrael (1995)
BatJamags – Nightwing (1996)
BatJamags – Birds of Prey (1998)
BatJamags – Batgirl (2000)
MajorZuma – Grayson
Majorzuma – New 52 Wonder Woman
WondyFan – Action Comics #775
Misfit - Camelot 3000 (reread)

I did read @HubCityQuestion’s recommendation and have to say, I LOVED IT. I am finding that I really enjoy Cassandra Cain, more than I knew. I also really enjoy Oracle. I kinda knew this already, but this really cemented that I miss that particular character. The ending made me get a single tear because it was just the perfect ending to a wonderful comic.

Now back to reading this massive list of recommendations. I started a new position where my practicum site turned into my new job, so I am adjusting to that. As a result, i am reading a bit less. You will see though that I have started some other titles and working my way through as best as possible. I am finding it enjoyable to see what you all like and finding some that are just not for me, but I am continuing with them anyways to say I read them. I will update again when I am further in the list, but feel free to give me any other recommendations not on the list.

4 Likes

@PrincessAmethyst Have you read the Batgirl Special one-shot from 1988? I’m a big fan of Barbara Gordon and Oracle and Batgirl and this is a quick read and a self-contained story (supposed to take place right before The Killing Joke). Personally, I find the late '80s and early '90s art style very comforting, if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the new job right out of your Master’s work, Princess Amethyst!!!

2 Likes

Making any progress on this?

1 Like

Yes, @Don-El. I have gotten through all of All-Star Superman. I also started New Frontier, but I am not sure how far I will be going with this title. I did not like most of it until the end of the second issue. They are super long though and not necessarily worth it to me yet. I am pushing through though because I want to be able to say I at least read it once in my life. I also started Mae’s suggestion of The Huntress (1989). I have enjoyed the 2 issues I have read so far. Progress is going slow right now, but I was excited that I got through all 12 issues of All Star Superman. That was an awesome series!

5 Likes