Recommend comics to PrincessAmethyst

Hey @PrincessAmethyst, as you might have seen I’m currently reading everything to do with the Birds of Prey: https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/all-about-birds-of-prey

I am really in love with The Huntress at the moment. I’ve always been a fan of Helena but never read any of her earlier adventures. The short 1989 miniseries that’s up here was a great read. It was dark and gritty, with a unique art style I haven’t seen much of. The writing was excellent, and it felt very real. I prefer my comics and superheroes to be grounded, which is why I’m not a huge fan of Superman, since he’s so powerful. Helena is just a young woman with a traumatic childhood, and it’s great seeing her character develop over these few issues. I knew the basic background of The Huntress but this origin story was kind of a revelation that made me sympathize with her even more.

For some reason I though that 1989 Huntress series was way shorter but I just checked and it’s 19 issues. I guess I just read them all so quickly I didn’t realize it. You can still read the first six as that’s a complete first arc.

Superman lois and clark, first Jon Kent apearance.

New frontier

Earth 2 Huntress mini series prequel to Earth 2 and Worlds Finest, which co starred Power Girl

@hubcity any resource is helpful! (Also definitely missed that one) I recommend SuperSons #1-5 one of the greatest stories about children ever! It’s impossible not to feel your heart bleed for Jonathan Kent and Damian Wayne and the next volume is here as well.

The terrifics, Dark Nights Metal, Justice Leauge No Justice, and flash war.

Remember to read the 3 simple rules please. People who do not post a reasoning behind why I should read a particular title will not go on my list. If you post a massive list with numerous series, I still expect you to tell me what part of the series to read. Not the entire series please. I have created a list for myself of what has been recommended thus far. I will be skipping around on this list, since some of them are just a few issues and some are a lot longer. This is the list of what I currently have as recommendations (if you see an error please correct, but also know I may have left something off due to the rules I requested):

YoYoFroYo - Batman: Black Mirror – Detective Comics 871-881 *ON ISSUE 874
Jay_Kay – Detective Comics 854-857, 858-860
Jay_Kay- Justice League Dark 9-13 (annual #1 is part)
Vroom – Ambush Bug: Year None
Multiple – New Frontier
LeonardoMyst – Catwoman: Selina’s Big Score
Vroom – DC Universe: Legacies
Biff_pow – All-Star Superman
ColdSmokeMike – DC Annuals (1996)
ColdSmokeMike – DC Elseworlds (category on DCU)
ColdSmokeMike – Secret Six (2006) (I will read first story arc)
ColdSmokeMike – the Atlantis Chronicles
BatJamags – Superman Annual #11
BatJamags – Batman: Legacy Detective Comics #700
BatJamags – Wonder Woman (1987) 1-7
BatJamags - The Flash (1987) – The Flash (1987) 73-79
BatJamags - Green Lantern (2005) 29-35
DanTheManOne1 – Kingdom Come
DanTheManOne1 – Harley Quinn (2013)
DanTheManOne1 – DC Comics Presents #63
DanTheManOne1 – DC Comics Presents #81
DanTheManOne1 – Superman: Secret Identity
Vroom – Superman and Bugs Bunny
HubCityQuestion – DC 1st: Batgirl/Joker
Mae – The Huntress (1989) first arc for now
TurokSonofStone1950 – Superman: Lois and Clark

3 Likes

I did miss Nathan.Payson – SuperSons 1-5

Sorry

New Frontier 7 issues

For artwork

Green lantern and Jonn Jonzz origins

Lois lane, Carol Farris, Iris West treated as intelligent women with important jobs. Carol is head of spaceship exploration.

Perfect book for golden age becoming the silver age of comics

Superman yelling at masks and no masks we are all on the same side.

One pager showing everybody - superheroes, spies, military walking together

Golden age superman and wonder woman in vietnam

Robin in batcave as Batman mellows.

1 Like

Huntress mini series 2011

This is the other huntress, from earth 2, daughter of Batman and Catwoman, trained since childhood, so she is incrediblly competent.

Set in Italy, many locations.

She is impersonating the other Helena, has her name on passport.

Sets up Worlds Finest in new 52, co starring Huntress and Power Girl. Best Super Hero Girl Friends Forever.

More realistic approach, she kills at least one person, but tries to avoid it.

Beautiful looking, without abdomen showing.

This is written by Paul Levitz, who created her decades ago. His best story.

2 Likes

Red Robin (2009-2011), written by Chris Yost. It’s actually issues #1-12, which make up several small arcs. I wanted to read it because I wanted to know more about Tim Drake from having read about him in Young Justice. I found him to be a very interesting Robin, so when they were still cycling out comics on this service, Red Robin was a “last chance to read”. So I actually read the entire 26 issues before it went off (it’s back on now, thanks to the policy change), but #1-12 are the standouts (for me anyway), as Yost leaves after issue #12. You could start with just the first 4 issues (first arc) and if you like it, finish out Yost’s run to #12. I think it’s pretty cool.

Also, cool concept on your initial post. I’ve bookmarked to see what responses you get.

2 Likes

@PrincessAmethyst
Thanks for making this thread. It’s pretty helpful for me too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m going to throw in another recommendation for New Frontier the art is great and the story builds a sense of continuity that you can appreciate without having read all of the original comics being referenced. It will also give you the background you’re going to want to go on and read about some of the more obscure characters like Martian Manhunter, the Challengers of the Unknown and the original Suicide Squad.

The first arc of the New 52 Flash is an unsung gem of a book that doesn’t get anywhere near enough love from fans. The way the story and art flow together is honestly amazing and a good argument for why artists (in this case Francis Manapul) should be allowed to write their own stories. I want to say its the first five issues of Flash (2011).

Given your user name I’m going to assume you enjoy more fantasy oriented books. If so you should definitely check out the issue 0 thru 7 of Demon Knights (or if you want to be a stickler for the 7 issue rule skip #0 and start at issue #1). Its a fun riff on Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai starring a variety of characters during the dark ages. Some like Etrigan, Vandal Savage and Madame Xanadu are major players in the future of the DCU. Others like Shining Knight are more obscure and there are a few new faces as well. Plus the fact that it takes place more than a thousand years before the present makes it approachable for a newer reader.

3 Likes

The first arc of Demon Knights is terrific.

And Shinning Knight is trans.

And the Amazon has Amazon viewpoint.

4 Likes

Kingdom Come is one of my all-time favorite stories. Its 4 Issues on DCU but they are pretty long issues tbh.

Where do I begin? Kingdom Come is by Mark Waid and Alex Ross, two comic book legends. It features some of their best work, especially Alex Ross who’s artwork from Kingdom Come has become iconic.

Its an Elseworlds story that is set a few decades in the future. Its basically about a growing conflict between aging “traditional” heroes like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc and a popular new breed of “heroes” who are more dangerous and violent and irresponsible, some of which are sidekicks or offspring of traditional heroes.

The story tackles moral and psychological struggles of being a hero and the difference between the iconic traditional heroes and the new guard.

If thats not enough to sell it, Im not gonna give away the whole story heh, but Ill tell you how the story basically kicks off.

Dont read on if you dont want to know how it kicks off.

The Narrator, or the point of view of the story is from The Spectre and a minister named Norman McCay. And they will basically bear witness to everything thats gonna happen in Kingdom Come and their gonna pass “judgement” at the end.

The Justice League, except for Batman who basically runs Gotham from the underground and has his Outsiders, have all abandoned their roles for quite some time because of the new breed of heroes who have become way more popular in the public eye because they have no qualms about killing. A new “hero” in particular named Magog is put on trial, after he leads an attack on Parasite(Villain), where much of the midwest is destroyed/ruined and millions of people die.

Wonder Woman, uses this situation to talk Superman back in to returning and to try to reform the old Justice League.

And the story blasts off from there with Superman going around trying to recruit old allies.

Its really one of my favorites and you get to see some absolutely epic artwork. You see all kinds of epic cameos and the big three in some of their best panels.

3 Likes

I finally finished @YoYoFroYo’s recommendation of “Batman: Black Mirror.” That was a fascinating read. I enjoyed the overall James Gordon arc and that it highlighted the instinct Barbara has. It was definitely a darker tale than I am used to reading, but I did enjoy it. Due to this having been a darker tale I am going for something a bit lighter next. I am going to Vroom’s recommendation of “Ambush Bug: Year None” next and then will go to the more heavier choices that I skipped over after this palette cleanser. Thanks YoYoFroYo for the recommendation! It was definitely a great selection and loved seeing Dick as Batman.

4 Likes

I haven’t read that one either, might have to check it out.

2 Likes

@Stormnation I removed a duplicate post for you! Keep the suggestions going, all. :green_heart:

3 Likes

I have now read Jay_Kay’s Detective Comics recommendations. I continued into the origin story like was mentioned I might want to, so glad I put it on the list to also read. They were fascinating and really showcased that she operates under a different code than Batman and she definitely serves a different Gotham City need. Loved it greatly, so appreciative of this recommendation.

I also read the 2 DanTheMan1 DC Comics Presents recommendations. I loved the 63 issue because it had Amethyst in it, but did not enjoy personally the 81 issue. I am finding I am not a huge fan of Ambush Bug. His humor doesn’t tend to land with me. I enjoyed reading it though to help me understand myself better as a comic book reader.

I am skipping over Jay_Kay’s Justice League Dark recommendation for a purpose. I am working through this initial list and I realized I would like to read JL Dark from issue 1. With that in mind, I am removing the 7 issue cap and making the rules that:

1. The series has to be under 200 issues. I don’t want Action or Detective recommended, except for arcs. :wink:
  2. It MUST be on DCU.
  3. Still tell me WHY I should read it. Even if it is a massive series.

That’s it! I want a list I can jump around on and work towards, updating where I am from time to time and getting more recommended books as I move forward. So feel free recommend almost anything at all that is here!

3 Likes

Batman and the Outsiders (2007) #'s 1-7. It’s listed here as Outsiders (2007) but the thumbnail has the B&TO logo on it.

It’s a good, solid dose of Chuck Dixon asskickery.

3 Likes

Justice League/Titans: The Technis Imperative defines what SHOULD be the difference between the two teams. And is excellent. 3 double-sized issues.

2 Likes