Reading Judas Contract Again. Does Anyone Think Terra + Deathstroke is Creepy?

I’m a bit weirded out by Terra in this comic. I haven’t read it in awhile.image

2 Likes

Yes. It totally is creepy. The Judas Contract… didn’t really age well. I like The New Teen Titans on the whole, but ironically, (considering that many consider it to be one of the best) JC is not one of my favorite stories from it.

1 Like

It’s totally messed up, I see it as a motive for young kids to not make bad choices and get into THOSE things

2 Likes

It’s definitely messed up, but I think that’s kinda the point. It’s definitely not supposed to be an enviable relationship, just like Joker’s and Harley Quinn’s.

4 Likes

Yeah. It’s a very unhealthy relationship. I don’t feel Wolfman and Perez were encouraging that kind of… activity. It’s supposed to be yuck and all that.

5 Likes

It shows really how much of a scum bucket Slade is. And let’s just say Terra might have a few “daddy issues”.

2 Likes

I had another question. Slade says he’s attracted to Starfire. Isn’t she like way younger than him. Again I cringed.

1 Like

It’s totally creepy.

Been a while since I read it, but it’s always been creepy to me.

2 Likes

Exactly, Deathstroke isn’t someone stuck between a rock and his moral code. He’s a middle aged whack job who’s “moral code” is to bang chicks who are at best “very young adults” and that is putting it as nicely as possible.

I will never understand why some people think he is “oh so cool”.

2 Likes

This personality trait hasn’t crossed over into every form of media, especially cartoons where kids are introduced to him.

The guy is a Grade A creep and that works well in these books. One thing to remember, Judas Contract came out in the 80s in the midst of Satanic Panic and Stranger Danger. I agree with others who have stated this is a lesson for kids. You don’t want to be like Terra, no one wants to be like Terra. I am not sure if that was what they were going for or if they were just trying to make him a piece of human trash or both. Either way, it worked to some degree as we are discussing this decades later.

2 Likes