Reading Azrael and Loving It!

I never read it during its original run. I just thought of him as a pathetic mess after the “Knight” stories ended. Mad at myself for that. O’Neil really loved the character. Issue 33 and I’m already wishing he had a solo presently where he was written with enthusiasm! Just a lockdown rant.

6 Likes

I haven’t quite gotten into the O’Neil run - I’ve read a bunch of the issues from crossovers, which is unfair to the title, but I dunno. That being said, I love Jean-Paul, especially in Tynion’s Tec run, and wish he were in more stuff these days. Is he still in Justice League Odyssey?

4 Likes

I liked that Detective stuff too. He’s not in Odyssey anymore (as far as I know) which is just as well because the way he was portrayed was not great. I’m starting to feel like he’s a terribly underrated character.

2 Likes

He’s a hard character to do right, I think. And sometimes a hard character to like, which makes it a challenge. But when done right, I really love him!

2 Likes

@millernumber1 You should read the O’Neil work. I dislike the art until Robinson begins, but the writing is really quite good. It’s also self contained except for NML.

2 Likes

I just read a good Azrael story last night. Judgement on Gotham. Not Jean-Paul tho. Batman (1940) #708, Red Robin #22, Gotham City Sirens #22, & finale in Batman (1940) #709. A mini crossover.

1 Like

I’m on O’Neils run right this second. Haven’t got to Azrael yet tho. I love NML Jean Paul-Valley. Also, I can’t remember where. I read one in a crossover that involved Jean, Jason Todd & Red Robin. They go to the church Jean is from & fight the whole order of St. Dumas. It’s been a while, but that was great!!!

1 Like

@capo-mage I’m reading a lot lately. What else am I gonna do? Thanks for the recommendations.

1 Like

No problem. That’s all I’ve been doing too. At least now there’s comic oriented threads. I’ve always read a ton on here & it used to mean total disconnect from community. I’d get too far behind on everything. Now I can read & contribute at the same time.

1 Like