Reading ALL of the New 52

Legion of Superheroes has always been a “you get it or you don’t thing.” That is understandable. Even our trivia master once said it is the one part of DC he cannot get into.

3 Likes

I actually think the New 52 did a real disservice to the Legion, especially with the confusing and poorly written cross-over with the Teen Titans.

If people want to read some modern Legion and can’t with the SA or even the Bronze Age stuff, I suggest they start with Cereal Lord arcs and read up to the 2010 Adventure Comics. I think that’s possibly why @Row.Harper didn’t really appreciate this version.

4 Likes

It cannot have been worse than their crossover with me in it (Justice League United).

2 Likes

All I really remember from JLU is that I was disappointed in Lemire’s OC. And unlike Jurgens, who will take every gosh darned opportunity to insert Blanque into something/anything, Lemire is far too classy so we’ll likely never ever see her again, until 2050 when that generations version of Grant Morrison start to write for that era’s DC.

2 Likes

I mean, I’m only 3 issues in. So it is hard to judge it. But it seems like it relies heavily on knowing what happened previously. And that is where I am having problems because this, and Legion Lost, are the first Legion stories I have ever read.

3 Likes

Yeah, all that stuff is just incredibly messy. Even if you knew previous Legion stories, as I do, you still would find it incredibly convoluted and confusing. You can find better Legion stories to read, but since you’re insisting on reading the ENTIRETY of the New 52 …

3 Likes

It is a great era.

3 Likes

The Golden Age was a great era.
The Silver Age was the superior era.
The New 52 was an era.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Krypto

3 Likes

The Bronze Age was the best era.

4 Likes

Chum, the Bronze Age is just a figment of Dennis O’Neill’s imagination.

4 Likes

The more I read comics the more I realize eras are just numbers

5 Likes

Week of 11/23/11 is complete! That’s all the issue #3’s complete.

Re-Reads: The Flash, Green Lantern: New Guardians and Teen Titans.

One of the last pages of this issue of Flash is one of my favorites. When Barry is standing in front of the door and starts speed thinking and it is just a bunch of small panels over him. I don’t know why that page has been stuck in my head since I first read this run way back when. But that might have been when I first started really paying attention to art in comics. I used to just read for story, then I realized the art was so important too. And GL and Teen Titans were good as well. (Bunker!!)

Loves: All-Star Western, Aquaman and I, Vampire.

Am I an Aquaman fan now? I might be? This was a great issue. I love how he handles the disrespect that he gets. Jonah Hex is a fun character, I didn’t expect to like this series and I am loving it. Same with I, Vampire. I am invested in knowing how this series ends.

Liked: Batman: The Dark Knight, Blackhawks, Firestorm, JLD, Hawkman, Superman, and Voodoo.

TDK was a good issue, I was happy the Joker was actually Clayface. That’s an auto-like for me. Blackhawks is just fun. I’m a sucker for the spy comics with the fantasy-ish twists. Firestorm was weird this week, but it still got a like. Some of the dialogue was just off, which is very weird to me because I usually love Gail Simone’s writing.

JLD was cool. It jumped around a lot but I did like the Deadman and Zatanna parts. Hawkman is getting interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever read a series with Carter having a day job, so it’s fun to read.

Superman gets a like this week. (Shock!) Though, there is some inconsistencies in how Superman is written throughout the New 52. In JL, he seems like he is almost brand new to the public, but in this issue they say that he has been around for a while. I think in Action Comics they were saying he was newer too. It’s just a weird balance that I’ve noticed.

Voodoo was much better this week, probably because I’m a Kyle fan. But I also felt like we got more of her character. And a little more understand of what she is doing. Even if it isn’t exactly, what she is doing.

No unsures this week!

And that’s it for this week’s essay!

4 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

These runs on Jonah Hex and I, Vampire have made me fans of both characters. I love them.

Aquaman dealing with disrespect is old hat now but at the time this was a fresh take on the character and is very well done.

5 Likes

I am caught up again. Apparently only Gotham City can have bad things happen in it. Seriously, both I Vampire and the Jonah Hex story need to be in Gotham?

5 Likes

How else do we know something is happening in the DC universe? Gotham is its only city. Otherwise, I might get confused about what company’s comics I’m reading. :laughing:

4 Likes

So, unless I’m missing something it looks like it’s a free week this week? The first of the issue #4’s start on the week of December 7, 2011. And there was nothing the week of November 30, 2011. Am I looking at this right?

3 Likes

Looks that way to me.

3 Likes