Reading ALL of the New 52

I am caught up on these issues now. I am still not much of a fan of Voodoo or Blackhawks. I am enjoying most of the other comics.

2 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one usure of Voodoo. But it really is hard to judge 2 issues in.

2 Likes

Just realized I never read Justice League #2. Whatever week that was it gets added to my ‘love’ list. I’m not usually a big JL fan but this was a good issue. Anything Flash-centric is probably going to get a love from me. Just a warning for you all. :laughing:

Edit: I fixed my spreadsheet so I won’t miss JL next time. :sweat_smile: It’s nice that we go through all 52 titles each month. It makes for a nice looking spreadsheet right now. I know that’ll get messed up soon. But the first couple months will look nice, at least.

3 Likes

Week of 11/2/11 is done!

No re-reads this week!

Loves: Animal Man, Red Lantern and Swamp Thing.

I’m fairly positive I can just mark Animal Man down on the ‘love’ list for it’s whole run. It’s fantastic. That’s all I have to say on that. Red Lantern was a cool look at Bleez’s background this week. I didn’t know that about her and I love her character more now. I can’t believe Scott Snyder was writing Swamp Thing and Batman and the same time. They are two completely different books. A ton of good info this week and a nice twist at the end. (I think it’s a twist? I don’t know Swamp thing at all.)

Likes: Batwing, Detective Comics, Green Arrow, Hawk and Dove, JLI, Men of War, OMAC, Static Shock and Stormwatch.

Batwing was good this week, it’s somehow a heavy book. But it’s a good heavy. I liked Detective this week, maybe because it was just Batman and no Bruce. Green Arrow was better too, Ollie is figuring himself out a bit.

Hawk and Dove is confusing me a bit but it still gets a like. JLI, is a fun book. I don’t have any real complaints about it. I was also confused by Men of War, I think issue 2 was better but the back up story was great, so it gets a like for that.

OMAC almost got an ‘unsure’ this week. I just don’t really get this series. But the action sequences were great. And Brother Eye is fun even though I have no idea what this series is building to. Static is always a fun read. I’m not sure what is going on with Sharon but everything else is great.

Stormwatch has a ton going on. The City guy might be my new favorite character. And that guy who killed the moon might be my second. (I’m terrible at remembering names.)

Unsure: You guessed it! Action Comics.

I do love a Grant Morrision comic, but I just don’t understand what is happening in this series. I do enjoy the basically down-trodden Clark and him struggling to figure himself out. But I think so much is being shoved into the first few issues that I am just getting lost.

Sorry, for this week’s essay. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I am caught up again as well. I definitely don’t like Omac. I am enjoying Detective Comics and Red Lanterns. The stories in Swamp Thing and Animal Man are ok, but I hate the art. Everything else is at least ok.

3 Likes

The penciler is my pick for worst ever.

3 Likes

I feel like that art style works for the stories that are being told in Swamp Thing and Animal Man. But it wouldn’t work for something like, Superman. I’m not sure if that makes sense. But, yeah there are certain stories I wouldn’t prefer that art style in.

3 Likes

It makes perfect sense. I hate it in Animal Man, and I would hate it even more in Superman just like I hated it even moreer when he drew Stargirl in that style.

3 Likes

Looks like I’m in the minority for enjoying OMAC but I agree with you on Red Lantern - I like that series a lot and it’s made characters that are usually one-dimensional so much more interesting. I wish DC would explore that world more often.

3 Likes

Week of 11/9/11 is complete!

Re-reads: Batgirl, Batman and Robin.

I don’t remember too much from the early parts of these runs, so it is nice to re-read these. Gail Simone and Peter Tomasi just know and love these characters so much and it shows in these comics.

Love: Demon Knights, Frankenstein, Resurrection Man.

Demon Knights has such a big cast but it works so well together. And that last page jumped this into the ‘love’ category for me this week. Frankenstein is great every week, I’m not sure why I’ve never read one of his comics before. Resurrection Man is a cool idea and I love how this week saw a bit of the cost of his powers. And the rapidness of his resurrections.

Likes: Deathstroke, Green Lantern, Grifter, Suicide Squad and Superboy.

Slade is just a jerk and he is very good at it. You almost want to root against him. Speaking of that, GL almost got a love for the page of Hal disintegrating at the end.

Grifter was almost in the ‘love’ category too, actually. It was a great issue. Especially because I have never read a Grifter comic before but I am picking up the characters and the world very easily. Suicide Squad was a solid issue. I’m slowly becoming a Diablo fan, which probably means he won’t survive the next few issues. :sweat_smile:

Superboy gets a like because I am not looking at this as if I know who Kon is already. It was a decent issue, not the best of my ‘like’ category but it was still a like. I do enjoy Rose Wilson being in this series. But if I was judging this based on my Kon knowledge this would get a -10 dislike score. :frowning: Poor Kon.

Unsure: Batwoman, Legion Lost and Mister Terrific.

I really don’t know what the stakes are in Batwoman. I know this is a continuation from a previous series, but because I never read that series I am just so lost. I like the characters and I want to like this series but I am lost.

I have almost the exact same issue with Legion Lost except I really don’t know who anyone is at this point. It relies so much on you having read the previous series and knowing who everyone is, that when you don’t, there is just no way to understand the stakes or what is happening.

Mister Terrific just isn’t clicking with me. The reveal this week felt was too early and rushed. It was a cool idea but I’m not sure why that happened 3 issues in. It isn’t a bad series. It just isn’t a series for me, I think.

Thanks for reading this week’s essay!

3 Likes

I sure saw why his series did not last long. Mr. Terrific is one of those characters with a very high ceiling, but he is very very hard to get right giving him a rock bottom floor.

4 Likes

I think I would like a Mister Terrific series, I am just not fully liking this one. He is a great character.

I might see if he has any other series and try those at some point. Because I know I like him when he shows up in team books, but this solo series just doesn’t seem to be doing him justice. True, I’m only 3 issues in. :woman_shrugging: But it’s an 8 issue series.

3 Likes

I am caught up on these again. Not sure how I feel about this version of Wonder Woman. Captain Atom is interesting so far. I have read Supergirl before. From what I remember the series ended just as I finally started liking her. I am enjoying Batman and Catwoman so far. I have heard of the Court of Owls, but this is my first story with them.

4 Likes

Odd that angry Super Girl is my favorite version of the character?

3 Likes

I don’t see her getting along well with Stargirl.

3 Likes

I praised her constantly and she hated me. This is shown in the first two storylines of Justice League United (these are not good reads, but will eventually come up).

4 Likes

I plan on reading this week’s issues tonight. I have to read them before the new Pokémon game comes out tomorrow or else I won’t get anything productive done. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Read them while playing pokemon.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, there were far too many crossovers - or places where knowledge of something that happened in one title is reference or at least helpful in a totally different, unrelated arc in another title. Most people were only buying certain books or trade waiting and when DC really started in with the crossovers (for example, the really painful - at least for Superman fans - modern Doomsday needed at least one or two issues, plus some one shots!, from 5 titles - maybe even 6 as I can’t remember if it crossed over at all in Not Kon.

3 Likes

The week of 11/16/11 is complete!

Re-Reads: Batman and Nightwing.

I forgot how involved all the Batfam was in the Court of Owls so early on. I read these books at two different points so I never really noticed it. But, Bruce realizing the Court is real is just a great moment. And it happens so early on too.

Loves: DC Presents, Justice League, Wonder Woman.

I’m a Deadman fan now. This was a great issue I love the lengths he is willing to go. JL is just funny, I love how well they ‘work’ together, even though they just met each other. And Wonder Woman is just a great read. The revelation to Diana was well done and her anger from it was presented beautifully.

Liked: Birds of Prey, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Catwoman, GLC, Red Hood, Supergirl.

Birds of Prey adding Ivy is just fun. I love that balance. Poor Jaime in Blue Beetle, but I am liking all the background info we are getting. Captain Atom gets a like this week because of Barry’s cameo. That was a very nice scene and added a lot of depth to an otherwise very confused storyline.

Catwoman gets a surprise like. Though, I am hoping for a single issue without Batman at one point. GLC is always fun, and the action sequences are great. Red Hood is one I am not totally sold on but it was good this week, I liked the memories. Supergirl seems like she got the Kon treatment with New 52. Though, I can’t totally confirm that because I haven’t read any other Supergirl series. But I am still liking it. I hope she gets away from creepy dude.

Unsure: Legion of Superheroes

I just might not be supposed to be a Legion fan. I just don’t get what is happening. I think it was a good issue? But I really don’t understand the stakes or anything.

Thanks for reading this week’s essay!

3 Likes