Reading ALL of the New 52

I am not even reading. I am just enjoying the conversation.

4 Likes

You should join in too! Read more than just Hawkman and Stargirl!

3 Likes

Or I can skip to Justice League of America where Hawkman and Stargirl team up to fight that happy guy who leaves me presents on my door step.

On a related note this is one of my favorite New 52 reaction images.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Conflix1! :partying_face: Please feel free to let the moderator team know if you need anything! :batparrot:

4 Likes

Welcome! Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

2 Likes

Read the 1 and the 2 for all of the books this week. My favorite book this week was Batman and Robin. Batman certainly has his hands full with Damian who is a force to be reckoned with. I loved the panels showing how his childhood made him who his today and its clear Batman has his work cut out to bring him more to his point of view on crimefighting. The art is really great too!

I enjoyed all of the books this week but some more than others.

Cool concept in Green Lanterns with Sinestro becoming a green lantern for reasons that don’t appear to be the normal way a ring usually seeks out a new owner.

The art in Batwoman is fantastic and am intrigued by the murder mystery plot and DEO involvement. I also enjoyed the building block references to Batman Inc in this book and Batman and Robin.

For batgirl, I enjoyed how she has overcome her injuries but she acknowledges that she is rusty and second guesses herself and gives lots of room for her to build confidence as the series progresses. It also appears that at the moment she isnt getting much support from Batman as she was worried about wasting a bat grapple due to how expensive they are so will be interesting to see if she gets better equipped later on.

Superboy is good so far and lots of room to grow the character since he doesnt fully understand his powers yet. Pretty awful how they treated him and left him to die in the rubble.

Deathstroke is the ultimate mercenary and I enjoyed the angle of people doubting if he has still got it if not a littke cliche. what a mistake that is!

Love the medieval fantasy aspect of Demon Knights. It is neat to see Xanadu and Vandal Savage in a story set so far in the past and then she also showed up in the present in Ressurection Man.

Suicide Squad has a fun cast of characters that normally probably wouldnt team up if not forced to by the government. I dont know why but I like King Shark. Meat! Meat! Meat!

Resurrection Man, Frankenstein, Mister Terrific, and Legion Lost were all good but was not as engaged in them when compared to the rest of the week! Definitely am a big fan of the Swamp Thing and Animal Man new 52 series so I would keep reading Frankenstein for the Rotworld crossover coming later on.

I could say a lot more about this weeks books but my post is already pretty long so I will stop here for now.

5 Likes

Good times.

3 Likes

This was a pretty good reaction shot in this weeks Batgirl. A little 4th wall breaking which I normally don’t like much but got the point across.

4 Likes

No need for brevity, lay it on us!

I think I’ll do what you’re doing and read the issues for each book to get caught up rather than reading them by weeks. Issue #1-2 for Wonder Woman, issue #1-2 for Green Lantern Corps, etc.

Good to have you in the group and great thoughts. That panel for Batgirl is pretty good and I like stuff like that which is rewarding for fans who know but still works for those that don’t.

4 Likes

Books for October 12, 2011:

• Batgirl #2
  • Batman & Robin #2
  • Batwoman #2
  • Deathstroke #2
  • Demon Knights #2
  • Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E #2
  • Green Lantern #2
  • Legion Lost #2
  • Mister Terrific #2
  • Resurrection Man #2
  • Suicide Squad #2
  • Superboy #2

Books for October 19, 2011:

• Batman #2
  • Birds of Prey #2
  • Blue Beetle #2
  • Captain Atom #2
  • Catwoman #2
  • Deadman #2
  • Green Lantern Corps #2
  • Justice League #2
  • Legion of Super-Heroes #2
  • Nightwing #2
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws #2
  • Supergirl #2
  • Wonder Woman #2

Please let me know if there are any mistakes on there and I’ll fix them.

4 Likes

I liked the opening storyline, but I saw why this series did not last.

2 Likes

Sinestro really needs to get a mirror.

2 Likes

Ok, I have finished this week’s books.

Re-reads: Batman and Nightwing. I love both of these books. Not much else to say on that.

Love: Dc Universe Presents, Green Lantern Corps, Supergirl and Wonder Woman.

It’s a good comic week. I always forget how much I like Deadman. And I’m sure I’ll say that every week. GLC is a fun book. I thought I had read this before but I didn’t remember this issue so I guess not.

Kara figuring out what planet she is on and who Kal is, is really nice character work. And I don’t know why it has taken me this long to read a Wonder Woman comic. “Be polite, at least call me Bird God.” That had me laughing out loud.

Liked: Birds of Prey, Blue Beetle, Legion of Superheroes, Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Birds of Prey is a good team book. I like detective stories like that. Blue Beetle is fun, his pure panic and total confusion at suddenly having a suit was relatable. Legion squeaked into the ‘like’ category this week. It has grounded itself a bit more and even though there are 1000 characters I somehow feel like I understand what is happening better than the other Legion title.

Red Hood was much better this week. I’m still not sold on this version of Starfire, but I do like this All Caste plot so I’m happy we are sticking with it.

Unsure: Captain Atom and Catwoman.

Captain Atom is another one where I just don’t know what is happening. I get that he is losing control of his powers, but all of a sudden he can see communications in the air. And then he is destroying cancer in some kid’s head? It was a weird issue.

And Catwoman. It almost got moved to the ‘like’ category but it didn’t quite make it. Which is funny because I do like a good heist storyline. I just don’t like Catwoman. But Alfred’s disdain for Selina when Bruce went to talk to her almost moved this up by itself. So, a couple more issues and this might be an ok comic for me. :laughing:

Alright, that’s my essay for the week. Sorry everyone. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

How many Wonder Woman storylines are called must read? How many even get recommended? The only Wonder Woman recommendations I have ever heard is Azarello’s New 52 run and her golden age work.

4 Likes

I don’t know. This is the first Wonder Woman comic I’ve ever read. Though, I have heard good things about Gail Simone’s run.

3 Likes

I’ve read a handful here and there.

I have read some Justice League and Justice Society comics that should count as Wonder Woman comics if stuf like Tower of Babel is counted as a me comic.

I also read her first appearence.

3 Likes

George Pérez and Greg Rucka are the other two that I hear about a lot.

4 Likes

Week 10/26/11 is compete.

Re-reads: The Flash, Green Lanterns: New Guardians, and Teen Titans.

The Flash was one of the first series I ever read. I am very happy to be reading it again. I read New Guardians a couple years ago so it is nice to read it again. I know a lot more about these characters now. And Teen Titans. This is just a rough version of these characters. I didn’t know that the first time I read this series. But I know it now.

Love: All-Star Western, Aquaman and I, Vampire.

If anyone told me this would be my ‘love’ list one week I’d have laughed. But these books were great this week. I’m loving the mystery of Western. Jonah Hex is a fun character. Aquaman is just well-written. It feels like it is setting up something big and it is being done well.

I don’t know why I am loving I, Vampire so much but I am. Does anyone know if this is the first time these characters have been used or are they from something else? I really do like how much story they have fit into just the first two issues. It makes me excited for the rest of the series.

Liked: Batman:The Dark Knight, Blackhawks, Fury of Firestorm, JLD, Savage Hawkman, and Superman.

This Batman series has a cool premise, I’m not thrilled that Joker is showing up now but I did like everything with Two-Face. Blackhawks is a cool group and I like the super secret spy group that accidently gets found out by the public plotline that they have going on.

Fury of Firestorm is a little bit of a mess but I am still liking it. I haven’t read much Firestorm before but I know of their characters which is helping me. But I do like where I think this plot is heading. JLD is almost always a fun series. Anything with Zatanna I will probably like. My only issue is remembering what happened last issue. :sweat_smile: I feel like a lot of the magic series are usually pretty dense on the information and I get a little lost.

Savage Hawkman is a cool look at Carter. I like the art. I also like how he has no idea what he is doing. And, surprise, Superman made it to the ‘like’ list this week. It was a good issue. I like seeing Clark as Clark. And seeing Superman struggle with his powers when they aren’t enough. Then he has to figure a new way to win a fight.

Unsure: Voodoo.

I’m really still not sure what to think of this series. I like the idea of an alien hiding on Earth being hunted by a Government agency. But I’m just not being grabbed by this story. I’m not sure what it is.

And that’s it for this week’s essay. Thanks for tuning in everyone.

5 Likes

All-Star Western, Aquaman, and I, Vampire were some of my favorite New 52 comics! Andrew Bennett and Mary have been around since 1981. I think this is the first issue they appear in.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll have to check that out.

3 Likes