Read All About It: INTRODUCING THE NEXT BATMAN!

I have a tendency to be negative too. I’ve already considered the stories I’ll endure where they’re trying to make these future versions somehow show up in the present.

1 Like

SAMEEEEEEEEE! I am not afraid to admit that I am a pessimist. A happy, joyful pessimist, but a pessimist nonetheless. I don’t trust anything especially DC rn. Like while I’m always trying to spread love, positivity, and be open to new things, when I comes to my opinions and things I’m passionate about you really have to prove to me that it’s worth it otherwise I don’t trust it. I don’t want it.

1 Like

I always thought of the TT’s as a proving ground for any young hero, who had somewhat out grown their mentor and/or moved beyond the local city patrols, fighting thugs. It’s a place to test their hand at leadership and top tier super villains before possibly becoming members of more advanced teams, like JLA or the Outlaws.
I think setting quotas for members based on family affiliation would be unfair to any hero’s development. Tim is more than just one of Bruce’s Robins, no? Why should he be confined to the cave? Can Bruce help it if the fledglings keep landing on his doorstep. By this logic, does it follow that Jessica Cruz shouldn’t be a member of the JLA, because too many lanterns already have membership?
I’m not sure I can embrace the notion that Bruce doesn’t grow. He does allow himself to become close to others over the years; and that really is the hardest task for him.
More than a role model though, I see Bruce as a cautionary tale of what can happen when you harden yourself to your emotions; and use your fear and pain as an excuse to shut everyone out. I think he sees it too; and goes to great lengths to see that his protégés don’t become as emotionally stunted and singularly driven as him. In general, they tend to have much richer, healthier lives made up of friendships, romances, and family. i believe this is really the endgame for Bruce when he takes each one under his wing. He wants them to learn to flourish in spite of life’s tribulations.

3 Likes

I think the thing that bugs me about Luke is that he was introduced literally one issue before he became the new Batwing. It’s not even as if he had appeared in the background of a few Lucius Fox stories before this point. And yeah, you could say the same thing about Barbara Gordon in the 1960s, but I would hope for a little more narrative sophistication in the New 52 than what we got in the Silver Age.

That said, I certainly don’t hate the character. Maybe if he didn’t have the whole Iron Man thing going on with his suit, I would find him a less odd choice to succeed Bruce. (I should also note that I never liked the Batman Beyond suit, either. I prefer Batman to be wearing a “superhero costume” in the classic sense, not a robot suit.)

2 Likes

But you have to admit, Luke handled that little situation in the bowels of Arkham like a boss.

2 Likes

I never said that Tim or any other member of the Batfam should be confined to the batcave. Babs has the Birds of Prey, Jason had the outlaws, Tim can have Young Justice (though I’d give it to Damian and the other children of the JL but that’s besides the point). But Titans is Dick’s Team and I don’t like them taking that position away from him to give to other Robins. They can all go and get their own ■■■■, make their own friends, and live their own lives instead of shuffling the things Dick has built between them. Like they all deserve to have things they don’t have to share. It’s part of them being individuals.
And I don’t agree with the notion that Titans is a lesser team than the JL or that it’s like a developmental/training team for the JL. Titans has defeated several enemies and stopped cosmic disasters twice as big as the JL. And while Titans may have been formed by the OG sidekicks to prove themselves, it grew into something much more than that. It became a place in the world for them - their purpose, their home, and an opportunity to live their own lives and not have to be told what to do by specifically the JL and their respective mentors. Titans has never done what the JL told them too or worked under them. It is not a Batfam or JL substitute. It is its own entity and it deserves that respect.

I can understand and respect that sentiment.
I see families full of hand-me-downs, legacies, and heirlooms. So I’m not too fussed when their paths overlap.

Except when the JL disbanded them. :wink:

1 Like

OMG DONT GET ME STARTED! The first and only time I try to forget cuz it was terrible!

1 Like

Whoa

1 Like

Looks very addictive and deep

1 Like

I would have spammed it as much as possible. The character of Bruce has gotten me through many hard times in my own life.

5 Likes

As a Batman fan I do get your pessimism with his lack of character growth. I feel like the number of “event” books and partial reboots have been a factor. DC should just let the characters sit with themselves for a while and let things grow from there. But I also think his grudges or the grudges of the other bat family members with him have also been a damper on everything in the bat books.

1 Like

At this point, just give me a “■■■■ you, ■■■■ you, ■■■■ you, you’re cool, ■■■■ you, I’m out!” moment for Nightwing calling out all the abusive ■■■■ the batfam and Batman himself does and all the hypocrisy in the Batfam so he can go off and his own thing in Bludhaven and with the Titans. Let Jason, Tim, Batgirl, Batwoman, and Robin do what ever they do, run their respective teams, go wherever they’re gonna go and let Batman be an abusive, toxic, douche all by himself and I don’t wanna see everyone back together until after he’s dead. There is no mutually beneficial, functioning Batfam until Bruce is no longer the head of it and nobody is stuck behind his stunted development.

2 Likes

Why not Tim drake, Damien, or Batwing? Isn’t it already established that terry becomes the future Batman of neo Gotham? I’m unimpressed by this decision by DC. All around disappointed

5 Likes

I use to love Bruce as Batman tell he started hitting his kids and Dc was like it’s ok for Bruce to hit his kids and all mighty jerk Tom King tries to justify it on Twitter obviously they didn’t have abusive parents new batman is good for me anybody better then Bruce at this point

3 Likes

I would say there are a few reasons why Tim Fox is a better choice than those you listed.

1.) He brings an all new perspective to the cowl that we have not seen and would not see with your alternatives. This makes it a much more unique and engaging read.
2.) This is a different multiverse, so it makes sense that things wouldn’t end up with the other options. I mean, who knows what they’re even like in that universe.
3.) I think it’s important to let characters like Tim, Damian, and Luke to grow into their own heroes. They shouldn’t have to be forced to carry Bruce’s work for every. They’re their own unique individuals who deserve the opportunity to flourish on their own. It’s about empowering those characters.

1 Like

But we get great memes from him hitting them.

3 Likes

IDK how I feel about this yet. DC will make it obvious, though.

In a way I’m looking forward to some of the new characters but absolutely not at the expense of the characters that I have spent a lifetime reading.

There is room for both sets of readers. DC needs to realize that alienating the older segment of their audience, the segment that can actually afford the current CB prices, might just be a death knell to the company. For sure, if they choose to do away with (or minimize) my prefered characters then I’ll simply move on to the multitude of other outstanding CB companies that are out there.

Again, there is room in DC for all to enjoy their preferred characters. We’ll see if DC is smart enough to figure this out. Looking at some of their decisions over the last few years, I’m not sure they are.

3 Likes

See to me domestic abuse is not funny

1 Like

I kinda agree with you

2 Likes