Read All About It: INTRODUCING THE NEXT BATMAN!

Don’t know anything about this character or that he even existed before this (until I read the comments). Kinda bummed it’s not Luke cuz Ik him and think he could bring something fun to the mantle (and never really liked the Batwing concept) but ecstatic that Bruce is no more! It is definitely time for someone new to don the cape and cowl. The current bat family dynamic with Bruce at the head is tired and quite frankly toxic af not only for readers but the characters and DCU as a whole. It’s best for everyone for Bruce to just die already.

1 Like

i wish there was a dislike button

8 Likes

I’m not interested in all this future stuff. I’ve never liked it. I was a big X-Men fan growing up. Reminds me of Age of Apocalypse. Didn’t care for it. This feels similar. Just me.

2 Likes

That’s really interesting! I really didn’t start reading comics UNTIL the New 52. So Luke, along with everything else, was fresh and new to me. So I was always more open to Luke coming in under the mantel. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still excited to see Tim take the reigns, but I honestly didn’t know much about him til this announcement. It’s interesting to see how fans of different eras just tend to have different perspectives of comics in that way. :smile:

2 Likes

Personally I am not very excited for future state. but at least it is temporary. Who knows, it might be interesting.

3 Likes

Oh boowhoo Bruce is a toxic, abusive piece of ■■■■ :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: and presence now only serves to hold back other Batfam related characters because Batman doesn’t learn, grow, or showcase any form of development so we can’t have anyone aging or growing, or leaning something better than him cuz god forbid Batman actually develops a character :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:.

1 Like

Can’t this be said about majority of comic characters though? Due to the cyclical, status-quo nature of the medium.

2 Likes

As a primarily DC Trinity fan, what I like about how they are doing this is that it doesn’t erase Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. They will have stories alongside the new heroes that I can still read, and hopefully enjoy. Can’t say I really like how the older heroes are seemingly going to be “cast off” in the new status quo (Superman on another planet… Batman a fugitive…), but maybe some good stories can be had by having their backs up against the wall.

Overall, not super stoked about the event, but not out right rejecting it either. Will check it out, but will be eagerly waiting for present day to come back in March :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

It’s feels like 90’s legacy overdrive to me.

2 Likes

No I always felt like characters individually grew at their pace and it was up to the writers. But with this you have a single character holding back several because of his own stunted development. And it never used to be like this. Back before new 52 started Batfam related characters were able to go off and do their own things. It’s infuriating that that’s not the case anymore. So I’m stoked that Bruce is tossed cuz with someone else under the mantle the other characters aren’t gonna be Velcro at his hips. Keep Jace Fox, kill Bruce cuz if they keep him alive he’ll just be shoehorned into every Batfam characters’ books.

3 Likes

I completely agree. It feels like DC is 70% Batman nowadays.

1 Like

Aside from Death & Return and the Superman Blue/Red stuff, not super fluent in 90s DC (just started reading Triangle Era Supes here on DCU)… so sorry if I don’t see the connection right away.

It definitely feels like DC is trying to inject some new blood into both their talent pool and characters/stories, while also introducing some diversity to said pool and characters. I like what I like, obviously (just give me Clark, Bruce and Diana), but trying to not take things as seriously as the next guy and be a bit open minded about it.

3 Likes

I’m not serious about anything except they haven’t announced any Superman solo books for March or April. That’s gonna get me pretty grumpy.

1 Like

You and me both, brother. Better be worth the wait. I think solicits come out today :thinking:.

2 Likes

Well, it’s only gonna be for a few months, right? And then in March, it’s back to business as usual with Bruce.

3 Likes

If you see them will you try to remember to point them out to me? I’d appreciate it.

2 Likes

10-4

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I don’t want. I’m buying Next Batman just cuz I want DC to think this is what people want and we can get rid of Bruce. I wanna buy Nightwing but I don’t like that once again he’s a Batman sidekick again :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: like he’s got his own city and ■■■■ to take care of why is he playing the side character role again isn’t this what got us the amnesiac Ric fiasco that we just got out of? And I was gonna get Titans but I do not wanna see Dick become Deathstroke and I don’t like the Damian team characters. Titans has always been Dick’s thing and DC just shoehorns every single other Robin into it and I don’t like that either. And to connect Titans to the Batfam story when Titans was meant to give the OG sidekicks their own lives away from their mentors… that is not okay. Titans is not a Batfam sub category and Dick should be the only Robin with a Titans team. I’m waiting for more info to come out about Immortal Wonder Woman to see if I’m liking the direction they’re taking. If not then looks like I’m only getting Next Batman. But at this point IDK…

3 Likes

I understand the frustration. Comics are always changing. I feel like they’re not giving characters the opportunity to succeed on their own anymore. The only new Superman book solicited for March is Batman/Superman. I don’t read books including Bruce if I can help it. I don’t think it helps to get upset though. Always changing.

1 Like

You’re right. My problem is just that I don’t see this ship correcting course anytime soon. Like I can guarantee that none of this will be better after Future State. I’d bet money on it and I don’t bet if I can see myself losing. I’m just really not a fan of DC’s direction right now and I would like to see it improved for the better but don’t believe that will happen. I think they’re pretty happy with themselves the way they are.

1 Like