Question about comic purchases

A few years ago I was reading alot of New 52 titles and then Rebirth titles. Eventually I stopped buying as much since life happened. I continue to buy Batman and Flash. I was picking up Detective, Action and Superman in trade.

2 Likes

This app has caused me to resume adding more trade paperbacks to my collection. I hadn’t bought much aside from Squirrel Girl in ages, but reading books on the app has reminded me how much I enjoyed runs like Gail Simone, Greg Rucka, and Tom King. The only downside is finding more shelf space somehow.

2 Likes

Ive dropped books here and there, dc and marvel, since doin the digital. But if i see something cool at the LCS, I’ll grab it in a heartbeat, instead of waitin for it to show up here…or there.

3 Likes

I had already ratcheted down my purchases a lot before I subbed here. Right now I’m only getting Justice league, legion, and some sandman universe books that’ll not be on here. And I doubt I’ll stay with Justice league after Snyder leaves.

3 Likes

Agreed in the digital reading. I do however purchase hard copies and back issues (a lot of them graded) of those books and stories I’ve loved the most. Have to support the industry and at the same time create new memories for my sons as well.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @epfender.28568 !!!

I’ve never been able to get into the Justice League books in the modern era. The characters are just so vastly different that it feels weird and forced to have them work together. And I know that’s a theme in the books, but nobody ever takes the time to explore the characters at that level. The one MASSIVE exception is the Kingdom Come books, but that was all alternate reality writing.

I’m also a huge fan of Sandman! I read the first 50ish issues of Lucifer and really enjoyed what was done with that character.

1 Like

Still have my favs that are on my pull list, and honestly-what fan doesn’t love going through the local Comic Book Store and picking up some familiar and different comics, but absolutely love the ease in finding unfamiliar comics to read on the app.

2 Likes

You need to finish Lucifer. It’s just as good as Sandman.

And the “why are they working together” question is actually why I like Snyder’s JL. It’s got to be a major threat to justify the team and he’s established that across the series. I know a lot of people feel burnt out by it, but I’m loving it.

1 Like

I don’t buy as many single issues anymore. I used to collect them religiously, but slowed down around the time Superman started getting written by Jeph Loeb. I came back into it pretty big with the new 52, but have stopped maybe a few months after Rebirth. I don’t think it was because of quality because I do like a few titles from the new 52 and the Rebirth eras, but it was a matter of money and time. I still keep up w comics through his app and Hoopla (Public library connected app that has all sorts of graphic novels in it from Dc, Marvel, dark horse, boom and others).

I got to my LCS to support maybe once a month and have them pull mainly graphic novels or the Black Label books for me. I will still buy something physically if the artwork appeals to me but otherwise, I don’t buy physical books much anymore.

1 Like

I still go to my LCS weekly. I only use this platform for reading comics when I’m travelling.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks everyone that has posted. I like getting an idea of the way people are consuming their comics now. this has been an interesting view into what people are doing in regards to comics.

5 Likes

That’s…a really sad story. :cry:

I have two LCS that are both about 45 miles from me. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone though. The owners of both are older people that care nothing about comics, just sell them because they always have. One is more interested in collectible coins and antiques now and couldn’t tell you anything about a storyline from a comic from the past 40 years. The other started out on the right foot, but the guys parents took over after he moved away, and they only keep it open a few days a week, and again don’t know anything about what they are selling. Just makes sense to me to read digitally.

1 Like

I have been purchasing comics (or when I was a child, my father and mother purchased them for me!:smiley:) since 1964. Always physical copies; I have a few digital CDs of comics, but those CD’s came with other purchases.
Saying that, though, I’ve always kept a lid, so to speak, on how much I buy every month (I guess it’s the CPA in me! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:). For me, it also helps me that I have to pre order in advance from Westfield Comics in Wisconsin; it forces me to look through the descriptions and determine which series I want to follow.
It doesn’t help that the average price of a single comics is usually $4 per issue. I think the industry, in general, crossed a line when the average monthly comic went beyond $ 2.25 an issue. The industry has a pricing problem it has to figure out; that may be why the DC Walmart $ 4.99 100 Page Giants are selling so well.

2 Likes

As a comic book retailer, I have to say I buy every week, lol. I love comics, as great as it is to read them here, it’s just not the same as having a physical copy. Most of the time, I do get excited to see the comics & open up the shipment. Something I’m really excited for a particular issue, I immediately browse through it. I gotta see the big reveals, lol.

3 Likes

I love having the ability to get music digitally, but much prefer the experience of vinyl. This is the same with comics for me. I got out of comics just before the Death of Superman, stayed around the edges of it for years, and used comixology for quite a while. My youngest got into comics while we were overseas, and we found a local shop once we settled here. I like having the option to read (especially the older issues), but there really is nothing like having the experience of the books in hand. I. also feel that this gives you a better way to fully appreciate the artwork. We now enjoy going to our local shop often, go through the FOC every weekend, and attend events and signings when they happen here. It not only provides a better experience, giving me something to enjoy with my kids, but I feel it is also important to support your local shop and artists.

2 Likes

thanks for the response and good for you! I pray that you continue to heal.