Question about comic purchases

I switched from physical copies for my monthly pulls to digital years ago because I no longer had the space to store them. I still buy trades of the books I enjoyed most or of older material that interests me but my actual pull these days is very small and mostly from smaller publishers. I keep up with only a handful of DC books at the moment because there isn’t a whole lot of their books that interest me right now. I’m far more excited about a newer superhero universe called Catalyst Prime at the moment.

That’s why for me all the older material on DCU is a real godsend. I still am able to get my fill of DC here even if I’m not reading much current stuff from them.

3 Likes

Book in hand, the smell of my local comic book store ( the paper smell and not that of the groups of kids playin them card games…what is that anyways…a subject for another time) just more exciting to go out get a book, take it home and enjoy in my recliner ! :black_joker::diamonds:

5 Likes

I absolutely love digital movies and music but I’m not big on reading anything digitally…I couldn’t even get into ebooks.

I’m just here for the forums and shows.

2 Likes

I still buy comics but what i buy has changed. If something is a mini or maxi series, I’ll buy the first issue to see if I like it and if I do i add the rest to my pull list. Other than that i pretty much only buy trades of ongoing series for the characters im interested in. If i hear good things about an older story then I’ll check it out on here first and then buy it if i liked it.

I’ll probably always buy comics physically because comic shops are awesome and i want to support them in any way I can.

4 Likes

Yes I do, I rather have the real thing

2 Likes

I purchase more irregularly now, but that’s in part due to the fact that I don’t have an LCS with new books near me. Now I base my orders around when Doomsday Clock comes out.

4 Likes

I get most of My DC books in trade form on the library app hoopla, it’s not easy reading comics in this plareform for
me. It is better now that the app is on kin dle

3 Likes

I no longer buy but I do go to the store for free comic book day. I have over 3000 comics in boxes and really have no more room. I had stopped buying once I had kids but will bring them to FCBD to get them comics they like

3 Likes

My comic buying has not changed since the service started. It has remained steady.

3 Likes

I only occasionally buy a trade here and there. I used to have a full on pull list and scour the back issue bins, but money got to be too much. getting to read so many comics so cheap on here really makes me feel like old times, just without the huge amount of money spent every year. One of the many reasons I love DCU.

5 Likes

My digital comics purchases from Comixology haven’t changed. I like being up to date on the DC Trinity and Justice League. I also prefer reading collected editions over single issues (for the older stuff). I use DCU mainly for the original shows, the community and the occasional read of something I wouldn’t have otherwise purchased.

3 Likes

The comic store I was a regular at until 2011 had a big emphasis on card games. Some of the people that played them were…different.

The store I was a regular at until last year also featured an emphasis on card games, and again, some of those folks were “unique”.

4 Likes

I’m buying more comics than ever, now that I have DC Universe. When I catch up on Rebirth stories I can’t wait until the next month to get it for free, so I buy it digitally. I’m really getting into the Black Label stuff and since I finished Dark Knights Metal, the Batman/Superman story is very interesting. It’s weird how getting something for free makes you spend more money.

4 Likes

LOL ! Totally agree. I’ve always heard your not supposed to make eye contact with them… not really sure what happens but who am I … I’m just there for the books :rofl::diamonds::black_joker:

4 Likes

Like many here, I was purchasing 40, 50, 60 books a month, watching room after room fall to long boxes. I would read them occasionally, but I had so many new books that I wasn’t staying caught up. With DC Universe, I stopped buying all together. I can wait a year for the stories, and now I can catch up on all the old books I never had time for. It’s a wonderful feeling to be able to carry around 25,000+ books on one single electronic device, and I can read anywhere.

6 Likes

Like you, @christopher.malmevik , even when I went to DC Universe a year ago, I had a long box of around 300 Comics that were fairly new I’d never gotten around to reading that I thought would be intriguing… like Aquaman and the Others, Forever People and Infinity Man, Valiant “Unity” , things that looked good but I just never found the time.

3 Likes

Eye contact tends to be fine, just don’t go over and say “So folks, anyone here buying comic books in the comic store today?”.

I kid, I kid. I’ve struck up conversations with card players, and they’re quite nice actually. Except for this one guy, Zewzlenazz. Geez, talk about a swimming pool Baby Ruth if ever there were one. Yow! :wink:

5 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte

I’m so sorry. I’ve been there. 20 years of working my ass off to build a dream career. I got a terminal diagnosis 9 months after signing the contract for my dream job.

But my path is different from yours. I read Marvel and DC obsessively as a kid through my early 20s. I eventually felt like I had read everything that the medium had to offer.

20 years later I’m doing the legal and logistical end of life planning with my wife and son. I tried everything I could think of to take my mind off of reality, even if it was just a few minutes. One day I realized that I wanted to know what had happened to all of these characters before I died.

I spent far too much money catching up, but I could get lost in a good comic book like nothing else. And as much as I love the Marvel/DC books, I found my new mature love for the medium with Image Comics and a few smaller publishers, but mostly Image.

So that rapidly terminal autoimmune disease? About 4 years after the extreme symptoms began, they just stopped within the span of a month. I still have some lingering permanent damage, but I’m back at work and it does seem like I’m dying anymore. Nobody knows what the cause was, but all of my tests keep coming back nominal.

So yes, I buy a fairly large amount of comics, but to help with space and organization I’ve switched to the TPBs. It took about a quarter century, but I finally fell madly in love with comics again and I’m so glad that I did!

I wish you all the best.

8 Likes

Thanks and glad you are doing better.

It is one of joys about the comic medium. They are, for some at least, the best way to get enraptured in something. I suppose it’s one reason why I love all ages of comics. Although I lean more towards the Bronze Age and earlier. Dark and gritty is nice, but so is intense characterization and social commentary we saw in the Bronze Age. The sheer bizarre and absurd in the Silver age, the pulpy and overtly “patriotic” in the golden age, along with some kinky stuff, WW pops to mind.

It shows the versatility of many characters that they can change in tone and still be aspects of themselves.

6 Likes

I’m more of a physical copy person, though I’ve been using the DCU app to help with both video production (it’s sort of annoying otherwise), and actually generally give a read to things I haven’t and then went out and bought them. So I still buy roughly as regularly as I did, but this has allowed me to consume more.

4 Likes