Quarantine Pastimes: Lantern RPG!

By the way, if you’re going all in on D&D you could use Roll20 to have an easy way to play online!

4 Likes

i would love to play a d&d style DC game

4 Likes

Give me a few couple days and I’ll post what I have! I can look into Roll20 too, thanks. I know @Kelex has a dice rolling feature too.

5 Likes

Hello! I am Kelex. I can assist you with matters like community features and more. To find out everything I can do, say @Kelex display help.

1 Like

@Kelex roll 1d20

2 Likes

:game_die: 17

2 Likes

@GreySonofGotham What plot ideas did you have in mind for your Lantern RPG?

4 Likes

Hopefully the mechanic works for whatever kind of Lantern stories you want to tell, but the way I see it the players are new recruits who start out at boot camp and level up their stats and then can go out from there. Obviously you’d have to have some narrative reason that all these different corps are working together.

3 Likes

Me to!

1 Like

I was just asking if you had any specific stories for your campaign.
The one I’m writing is set in Gotham.

2 Likes

I was referring to the mafia-style game going on here on the Community.

That’s a good idea on the mind erasure thing I’ll have to look that up. Honestly I haven’t thought out much of the plot or enemies or anything, only made it through the mechanic and character creation as yet. Maybe someone else should GM, who is more creative in that sense than me!

1 Like

you pretty much got it right! I played the first one and I am also playing the sequel of the mafia game, and they are really fun. Its easy to understand once you get started! each player is secretly given a character and some players are given a mafia character. The game is done in phases, day and night. in the night phase the mafia choose a player to eliminate, in the day phase players vote on who they think are in the mafia. each character has different abilities that affect the game. also The off topic banter is part of the fun!( what else should you do while your waiting for the phases to end!).

1 Like

Okay so I have been SO BORED so I typed everything up and put it in Excel. My day job is in finance, so i even worked in some nifty formulas for calculating stats and everything. Take a look, if you’d like. Feel free to share any comments, improvements, or questions! Thanks!

I’m calling it The New Guardians, like the series that brought all 7 Lanterns together for the first time.

4 Likes

I’m interested but I do have questions though.

How close to comic accurate are you going with this?
I guess that’s really the only question right now lol. All the other questions stem from the answer on this one.

Great idea though.

1 Like

Timeline for in comics reality?

1 Like

So most of the character info, and corps info, is based, if not loosely, on the comics. A lot of the material came from Blackest Night, and Brightest Day. Some of it I had to edit out or simplify. Then I looked up alien races throughout the DC Universe to help with character building. As for storylines and campaigns, I had hoped that I could fit some new stories in the context of larger canon storylines, or make completely new ones. I have one brewing about after the Blackest Night, with Black Hand and the Indigo Tribe, that I think makes sense in comic context. But i guess that’s the great thing about RPGs, they can be pretty much whatever you want!

2 Likes

Okay, the only reason I asked was, I’m a huge Lantern fan and I just happen to notice things that were not accurate.
Like the Blue Lantern ring only charges a Green Ring and actually dampens the yellow and red rings.
Depending on which version of Red Lanterns. (Pre Gardner or Post Gardner). Pre Gardener only 1 RL could make constructs that was Rankoor and they were basically all enraged bloodthirsty beast. Post Gardner they became more functional and could create constructs.
The Indigo Tribe actually can make constructs while channeling another light. Like Indigo 1 created a yellow construct while channeling the Sinestro Corps member in her debut issue.
Larfleeze’s constructs aren’t actually ones he takes. Those are all the people he has killed and made constructs of them. Also the ring makes the wearer very dangerous and will attack the other ring bearers for their rings. Look at Lex from Blackest Night.

For game purposes I understand what you’re doing. Again I was just trying to figure out how close you were trying to get the Lanterns.

Also how come you didnt include the Daxamites?
Again not trying to be a pain.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. I felt like if I limited the charging abilities of the Blue Ring then there wouldn’t be advantages to playing that, or to have diverse rings on a team. I tried to make each ring have strengths and weaknesses so one ring wasnt better than the other.
I did not know that about Red Rings! I just liked the symbolism about not being able to form constructs from rage, plus it distinguishes them from other moves.
I did write in the Indigo Tribe channeling other constructs. I called it Empathy. I love that about those rings.
Again, for Orange Rings, obviously i had to take some liberties. Since Larfleeze is the only orange lantern in canon, i had to make up some reason why that wasn’t the case, so that the game would work. Also, I wanted people to be able to play as an Orange Lantern without having to kill their teammates, so thats why i changed from stealing their lives, to stealing their constructs. All for purposes of the game.

I had a few more races in there at first, but it got to be too many. I started to include a couple obscure races from older storylines, and things like Havanian (like Bleez) Czarnian (like Lobo) and even Atlantian or Amazonian. But it got unwieldy, and i kept the ones who could have logical explanations for in-game abilities, like Tamaraneans absorbing solar energy to charge rings, or Coluans having super high intelligence. Again, trying to make it so that there weren’t clear better choices, for the purposes of role-playing. Plus for diversity’s sake, Daxamites seem like they’d be indistinguishable from humans, except for maybe under a yellow sun, but then it would be unfair.

Good thoughts! Keep em coming!

2 Likes

All good things. Thank you for explaining your thought process haha.
Trust me I understand the many races. My friends and I developed a DC RPG. I was I charge of finding all the different races we could use.
It’s funny that you choose those races cause minus the Rannians, i choose those same races. I included the Daxamites.
I never realized that the Daxamites and Tamaraean’s powers work roughly the same. We all know that Kryptonians and Daxamites get their powers from the yellow sun. Well apparently so do Tamarans.

Starfire’s solar energy absorption and her powers come from the yellow sun as well.

2 Likes

You’ve developed a DC RPG?? That’s awesome. Tell me more! Did you use an existing set of rules or make your own? I tried to come up with a watered-down version of D&D but the only tabletop RPG I’ve played is Monster of the Week, which didn’t really fit for this.

1 Like