Pre-Crisis Shazam! Where To Read?

Captain Marvel, Shazam!, “the big red cheese”. Whatever you want to call him, I love him and I want to read more of his classic adventures. Unfortunately, DCUI doesn’t have anything published before 1985’s Crisis on all these Earths wherein Billy and company were folded into the regular DC universe.
Trade paperbacks (when I can find them for sale online) tend to just have collections of issues from the golden and silver age, so I don’t know which ones to buy (or where to buy them cheaply), and I can never find those older issues when I search my local comic shops and conventions.

Does anyone know why the Fawcette series and the pre-crisis DC comics aren’t on DCUI? Does anyone know the best way for me to find and enjoy these classic stories?

Also, if this is related to a broader topic on DC Community, please point me to it, so I can add to that discussion.

1 Like

It’s been memory holed, since it’s now effectively a banned book you have to pay through the nose for it or sail the high seas.

Cartoonist Kayfabe recently did flip through an oversize reprint of the original Fawcette Captain Marvel.

1 Like

You’re in luck! A solid amount of Fawcett Comics are Public Domain and can be downloaded free and legally through sites like Digital Comic Museum. Not all of CM’s books are Public Domain, but there are enough to keep you busy for a while. I’m not sure if that’s why they aren’t digitized on DCUI or if it’s just because there is not a ton of interest in Golden Age Comics (A LOT of Golden Age DC material is not digitized).

2 Likes

I took a look and it seems that DCUI has a few of his backups in World’s Finest and he also appears in three issues and an Annual of DC Comics Presents.

2 Likes

They can’t be bother to digitize all the Kirby & Ditko they have rights to. Eg they only did 12 out 16 of Kirby’s The Demon on DCIU, why when they have the files already done with the recent tpb published. It would be nice if they just did scans of old comics, no need to program the panel by panel mode. Fans of old comics generally prefer the newsprint color jobs anyways, lots of the time color jobs done by summer interns detract from the overall enjoyment. Wonder if this is like the NFL not having Super Bowl I footage, they don’t want to pay/entice a collector to loan their copies of classics to get them in their archive bc they didn’t archive the material themselves. Does DC have physical copies of these classic comics?

1 Like

DC has a vault somewhere! I’m not sure what’s in it, exactly, but I imagine a lot of the physical prints of the older material is there. As for what is and isn’t digitized, I know the DCUI staff is working hard on it, but… there’s still A LOT of material out there to upload. Some of the older stuff is a bit lower priority because it’s niche… Just the way it is…

1 Like

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of news I was hoping for

1 Like

No prob! DCM has a lot of great stuff and I spend a lot of time there. Please consider donating to them if you enjoy it!

I’m not sure how many are on here but there was a time in the late 70’s-early 80’s when World’s Finest was an anthology Title. Captain Marvel had a regular feature in there. I was a huge fan of that run for the Green Arrow stories but it’s worth checking out

1 Like