Polls, Polls, Polls: DC Edition! (Part 1)

Stargirl

I THOUGHT THIS WAS CARRIE KELLEY LMFAO!

9 Likes

EktmvBwmKGoAQ8mY3-XVaacHy4eKC0xsbLWeBbhA9DM

10 Likes

Robin’s hair is way shorter

7 Likes

Well that would cause some problems in communication

7 Likes

[brood]

8 Likes

What Do You Make of the Murpheyverse? (White Knight Continuity)
  • It’s fantabulous!
  • I like it!
  • Parts of it are okay.
  • I haven’t read it.
  • Not interested.

0 voters

8 Likes

I do like the art

6 Likes

None of the above. I read it and poor story.

6 Likes

Ok, I read it a while back so I might be mis-remembering. But I think I interpreted it as there was one Joker, who created other Jokers. Who were also legitimate Jokers in their own way, but the first Joker only ever saw himself as the real one. I hope this makes sense.

I really did enjoy the series though. I’m not a big Joker fan, but I did like this different type of look into him.

8 Likes

And this is where it all gets so difficult. Who was the first Joker?

Summary

The Criminal, who looks like the Joker the way Batman originally met him (something the comic itself points out in words as well as art style) or the Comedian in the back of the ambulance claiming to have been the one true Joker the whole time who made the others (perhaps recently according to some people) for this whole plan to work?

Depending on the way each reader interprets the story, ‘first Joker’ has two correct answers.

I think the answer to the poll I posted has three major ingredients to it.

1: Does the reader believe the Comedian in the ambulance or not?

2: Does the reader think three Jokers or one Jokers makes more logical sense?

3: Does the reader personally like the idea of three Jokers or one Joker more?

I do wonder if the sequel is still happening. I wonder if it will provide more clarity to the meaning of the original work, or still leave the reader in a gray area by the end of the story.

But, I find it very interesting how so many readers are split on how to interpret this story. I’ve seen a lot of good points made on both sides of the discussion sense the book has come out.

The book seems almost intentionally self contradictory so that the reader walks away with the answer the reader most desired. Because it feels almost impossible to declare either side 100% proven.

If there really were three Jokers this whole time; how did no one ever notice this until now? Especially Batman, of all people.

However, if there was only ever one Joker, why is his personality so split throughout these more than 80 years that he could literally be split into three separate characters (like separate Robins) and about half the reading audience is okay with that? So many people looked at these three Jokers and said ‘Yup, this makes way more sense this way as three separate characters than trying to say this was the same guy for more than 80 years when he’s been written so drastically differently across the time period. This answer makes more sense than simply saying he had such different multiple personalities.’

Also, if there was only one Joker, why did the Mobius Chair say there were three?

And, if there was only one real Joker, what does that make the other two in the story? Were they created recently in the pool scene? Are they some sort of twisted meat mirror where the Joker abducted these poor people and not only drove them mad but also did so in such a way as to brainwash them into being such perfect reflections of his past personalities as to rattle even members of the Bat Family into thinking that somehow there might have really been three this whole time?

I get what you’re saying. The story does kind of go that way with it at the end. That the Comedian was the real one all along, and made the other two. But, in the Killing Joke, the Comedian reveals himself to be an unreliable narrator when he tells the audience that ‘he sometimes remembers his past one way, and sometimes another; if he’s going to have a past, he might as well make it multiple choice.’

If someone told me that, I would trust basically nothing that person ever said about his past again. He either is so disassociated that even he doesn’t honestly know his real past anymore; or he is very manipulative and lying to the point where his answers likely have no real meaning and should mostly be discarded.

So, the Comedian is either telling us the truth; and has gone through a very elaborate plan to do all of this (something the Joker is known for doing.) Or, he’s being opportunistic and lying out his butt to sew more seeds of chaos and confusion and take responsibility for this entire situation; when he was only a part of it; just to mess with Batman and to make himself seem more powerful and pulling more strings than he really is.

Personally, I like the three Jokers idea better than the one Joker idea and think it makes more sense; and I don’t particularly trust the Comedian in the ambulance scene. So, I left the book with the idea there really were three Jokers.

But, I’ve seen some really good debates the other way so that’s why I made the poll to see how people are feeling.

6 Likes

Plot Twist…it’s none of them :joy:

6 Likes

Do you think they look similar?

• Yes
  • No
  • Wait, they are not the same person?
0 voters
7 Likes

You do it regularly, but when Stargirl broods, she broods with passion.

7 Likes

The Joker in the Batman OnStar Commercials #poll

• :face_vomiting:
  • :nauseated_face:
  • :unamused:
  • :neutral_face:
  • :slightly_smiling_face:
  • :grinning:
  • :heart_eyes:

0 voters

10 Likes

follow-up

Did You Know About the Batman OnStar Commercials Before Now?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

10 Likes

That jaw though… :scream:

11 Likes

it’s a well known side effect of getting chemicals on you! well known!

7 Likes

Two things:

1. Always thought that this was B’Man’s OnStar:
    #PennyworthSeriesIsAwesome

and 2) Always wondered what it’d be like if Jay Leno had portrayed the rekoJ- now I know.

jay-leno___22142019316

I loved these ads back when they ran back in the early00s. Fun stuff. :smiley: :batman_hv_2: :joker_hv_2:

8 Likes

in the first ad, Michael Gough’s Alfred is the one who had OnStar installed, so it’s ok, Alfred’s position has not been usurped or outsourced :+1:

and the OnStar Joker was played by Curtis “Booger” Armstrong!

…also known as Ezekiel the Cockroach!

Curtis Armstrong sits at the center of the multiverse. might be a Monitor.

7 Likes

That’s right- I forgot. :grin:

#canon

6 Likes