Overwhelmed never into comics Love doom patrol!

Never into comics the doom patrol TV series has me hooked. I would love to start a colection of doom patrol books n comics have no idea where to begin!! So many authors and titles very overwhelmed

2 Likes

Search Doom Patrol and then look under the comics tab, it will show you the different series available. Really you can’t go wrong.

2 Likes

The Grant Morrison era is the one I’m most familiar with, and it was referenced a lot in the show. He introduced Crazy Jane, Flex Mentallo, Danny the Street, and Mr. Nobody, so his run was pretty out there. His first issue is Doom Patrol (1987-) #19 “Crawling from the Wreckage”. It’s why I love the Doom Patrol and would highly recommend it.

2 Likes

Welcome to comic books! I’m happy you’re here!

If you want to ease in by reading the comics the show is (pretty loosely) based on, start with issue 19 of the 1987 series here:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/doom-patrol-1987/5567a643-e711-4167-83e3-846613d5eb22

Those were written by Grant Morrison, and he’s written a lot of other stories for DC, if you want to use him as a window in.

2 Likes

Sorry @DeadmanBrand, I didn’t mean to repeat info you already provided.

Though Morrison can be a bit much at times. Way’s turn at the wheel is a delight.

1 Like

No worries @biff pow! Looks like we were writing at the same time.

@msgtv, yes Morrison can be a bit much, but I’m a confessed fan. If he does wind up being something you enjoy, you can get a lot from his work. He can admittedly split people, but people that like him love him, you know? And the show was really true to his stuff. So…give it a shot. Admittedly I haven’t read Way’s stuff. Celebrity creator bias, but I may need to take my own advice. Give it a shot. And is that another Whovian I see?

2 Likes

I fall on the liking Morrison side, but his DP run includes multiple bad guys with non biological heads spouting some form of gibberish. Clock heads, scissor heads, pointy heads, he was really into weird heads at that point.

2 Likes

I can totally get that. The Dada influence informs much of it. And the art can be…not excellent…
at times (I don’t want to say it, he designed a few now-classic characters…).

But what’s also on the comics page is the Flex Mentallo mini series, which is an absolute must read, one if my favorite books. I read it every year, sometimes twice. Be warned, it’s pretty “Full-Morrison”. However, it does “technically” count as a Doom Patrol spin-off.

2 Likes