overrated

But I agree that they should return Batman to a more grounded state. Seeing him go up against guys like Darkseid and Doomsday is getting tiring. I prefer Batman stories to be on a smaller scale than that because I think they work better for the character.

5 Likes

The only plausible Batman vs Darkseid story I’ve ever seen/read was Superman/Batman Apocalypse.
I can see him holding his own against some parademons, and smart enough to hack/crack/and reprogram setting off Darkseid‘ spores, and having the nads to stand face to face with Darkseid and go, sure you can kill me but your planet goes boom. But, that is a battle of wits and will vs Darkseid. Not a fight.

Vs Doomsday, he street pizza in 30 seconds or less.
Frankly I blame Miller, although it wasn’t his intent. However so many people thought “Hey, this is canon!!” No, it’s an Elseworld.

I hope DC can find “the next Denny Green” to write the Bat. I know it’s a tall order, but it could bring some sanity back to Bats. (Or DCU folks have they opportunity to read his Batman stuff now. I hope they do and realize what he is, first and for most, the worlds greatest detective.

2 Likes

Denny O’Neil, why my fingers keep typing Denny Green,!i don’t know.

1 Like

We all seem to be in agreement that the Bat Family is overrated lol

2 Likes

Not me! Not fully at least… although I do see everybody’s points.

3 Likes

Batman: I love the guy I really do…but I’m so effing sick of the Batwank for him. The need to make everyone an idiot around him to make him look cooler.

The Joker: Cool overused villain. Should have died and stayed dead a long time ago.

Damian Wayne: Kinda cool in concept but also a total Gary Sue, especially in the animated movies and Ben Percy’s Teen Titans run. Would be better if the character was 16-20. In general he’s everything wrong with how the Batfamily is written thrown into one character.

Cassandra Cain: The whole bullet dodging thing mostly.

Donna Troy: Dear lord her origin is a convoluted mess and some of the writing from Wolfman to Infinite Crisis is jacking her ego up so much. Notably with Terry, Graduation Day and RODT where the writings are gushing too much about her.

I’d say Harley Quinn…but honestly I think I’m just not in her demographic. Same with Deadpool. I get the appeal though I’m not part of it, and I don’t think that means I think they’re bad either.

The batfamily is the deux ex machina of DC Comics. When used well can be great. When overused, leads to tedium.

2 Likes

Green arrow

1 Like

So long as he has even a single fan, Damian Wayne will always be overrated.

Also, I keep trying to like Starfire and not being able to come up with a reason.

As for Batman: Batman using strategy, stealth, and problem-solving skills to stay relevant above his “weight class?” Interesting, at least to a point. Batman constantly being able to pull some poorly-explained gadget out of his rear that solves every problem and makes him better than everyone else forever so he can show up all the other superheroes? Nah. But I consider that more a writing issue than a being-overrated issue.

3 Likes

I don’t think any single character is overrated per se. I have my likes and dislikes for sure. Maybe I feel like DC pushes Batman too much, but to be fair I wouldn’t feel that way if they did the same with Superman. It’s all subjective and at the end it comes down to dollar signs for DC.

5 Likes

@batjammas I can’t help but roll my eyes at that first line

2 Likes

Harley Quinn

2 Likes

•Joker
•Harley Quinn
•Tim drake (still good I just don’t get all the praise)
•Cassandra Sandsmark
•starfire
•Raven (teen titans show
•Superman (I’m a big fan but when he’s the center of everything it gets annoying

1 Like

The current version of harley quinn in the comics is awful i hate her and her stupid hyenas so much

3 Likes

Don’t hate me but I feel Harley Quinn is a bit overrated

as I typed this I look up and see others feel the same glad to know I’m not alone in thinking this.

4 Likes

I also think Harley Quinn is overrated. It was good in Injustice, but I even got tired of her there.

5 Likes

Also Lobo. I don’t find him cool or funny.

2 Likes

Starfire all dayyyy

2 Likes

@Yutzy Harley only had hyenas in BTAS comic Harley Quinn never had hyenas witch is kinda sad they were good in BTAS where Harley Quinn was created

Unpopular opinion maybe, but Superman? I may be biased but he feels like the original Mary Sue™, and turns evil in any universe that anything bad, other than his origin story, happens in.