:jsa_book_club: Old Enemies Return :jsa_book_club:

Hello all and welcome back to our second session for April. This time around we have a little PG, a bit of Doc Midnite, two Terrifics and a side order of Vandal Savage and Black Adam. So lets get going my friends of the @JSABookClub but first…

THE JSA BOOK CLUB ROLL CALL

Club Leaders

@JasonTodd428 & @Aurora

Standing Members

Abrax, AggressiveIntellectual219, Alec.Holland, anthony.javier3, Applejack, Azrael_Jean-PaulValley14, BatgirlsAmdSignalBookWhenDC, bbzo24, bigblock66, BlueBeetlesAssistant, BobbinIrving, Boswell99, Brenticus_Rex, bromepeter424, CaptainYesterday, CassTheStreet, CrazyQuilt, Daffern, Darkstarz, dave7atgosky, dave_worrell, DC_Community, Deathstroke’sPunisher, deborahma295, december360, djganon, Doctor075, DocterFate1, Don-El, fawsid, finn.p.campbell,frankie.lacy79, l, Frostbite30, ganaoque, harrist, HombreDeMaiz, hotstufflouie, HubCityAnswer, Jay_Kay, jayspice777, Jflow, jlevin, Jurisdiction, kaliym73, lunalane, mbpbinder, _meegs, Meisaj, Midnitehour, MiscellaneousSoup, MisfitCMJ, mitchellbpearson, MPMCN86, msgtv, Odbo255, PaintEater, parzival27, ProActress, QuadPen, ralphsix, Ravenrifft, ReaganFan78, Remember5NovEveyHammond, RexRebel, rlynchfamily, ROMANLEGION rspezzano, rwm, Ryan22, Sinestro1,slowp0Ketail, Smallengineerings, SuperBlue Grodd, TheCosmicMoth, TK52, Tommyskindlefire, TurokSonOfStone, YolandaMontezz, ZacharyLee1995

JSABC WELCOMES NEW MEMBERS

@scoop001

@RobbinGames

@brownliealex1048

@schroeswald

@Timmay_Bird

Remember all you need to do to join the JSABC is to hit the link.

WHAT TO READ

*JSA 39-44

THOUGHTS AND QUESTIONS

1. What did you think of how Power Girl handled her stalker ?

2. One of the children being held hostage by the grandson of The Shadower asked if he remembered what he wanted to be when he grew up and his reply was “I don’t remember”. I found that to be the most emotionally impactful moments of the issue for me. Which moment did you feel was the most emotionally impactful for you?

3. Whose powers would you rather have: Captain Marvel’s ability to fly or Hourman’s flash forwards?

4. What did you think of the interactions between the two Terrifics?

5. And good ole Vandal Savage has returned. If you were immortal like he is what would be some of the historical events you would want to witness? Would you even want to be immortal?

6. What did you think of the interactions between Black Adam and Captain Marvel while the latter was in Ancient Egypt?

Next month we will be finishing our reading of “Thy Kingdom Come” from 2007s Justice Society of America. Hope to see you there.

6 Likes

Called it. These are the issues.

3 Likes
  1. I thought Power Girl handled her stalker well, although he is unfortunately still obsessed with her.
  2. Yes, the Shadower stole his grandson’s dreams and replaced them with his own desire for revenge. This was very sad.
  3. I think I would rather be able to fly. Hourman’s visions seem to be very disturbing.
  4. It was nice to see a bit of hero worship for the first Mr Terrific.
  5. No, I wouldn’t want to be immortal. Then I would continually outlive the people I love.
  6. It was good to see Captain Marvel get a better understanding of Black Adam, but Black Adam’s statement that they will never be friends was sad.
3 Likes

I will try to write everything up on Monday. I expect it will be long, and it will include stuff on how the art was changing at this time.

3 Likes

39- My first real experience with Power Girl, and I am a fan of her in spite of this. Contrary to what it is trying to say she handled this terrible. Just smash him and make lots of sexual innuendos like she loves being stalked. This was handled way better in the Christmas special where she mentioned him with annoyance. I consider this to be the end of the bottom part of JSA.

40- I always saw this as a Billy issue. In JSA the three main artists were Sadowski, Kirk, and Kramer, and Kirk was always my favorite of the three. I think he is the best at using backgrounds to capture the mood.

I really like the slow buildup of tensions. Unlike last issue this is not a problem a superhero can just punch.

Notice the subtle implications of this picture. Billy describes being a 16 year old in an adult body. Meanwhile Stargirl is right there looking like an actual 16 year old. I think this is the first indication he has a crush on her.
2. Jason saying he does not want to die, just a very simple moment by the guy who did all the work saving the day this issue.

1. Hourman’s flash forwards. Way cooler and more useful.

41-

Good gag in a dark issue.
On the other hand-

It does bother me when they show superheroes eating junk food.
One of my favorite parts is Billy and Black Adam’s fight. Before the end of #44 it could even be interpeted that Adam’s remarks are attempts at friendly gestures. Billy makes some subtle remarks showing he is there for Stargirl, and makes much lower attacks on Adam and turns his back. I realized a few weeks ago he was trying to provoke him into hitting him to kick him out of the team until Stargirl stopped it. I have broken up a few fights like that with 6th graders, and it is very effective. I like how the actual kid is having to stop the two grown men (Billy has the mind of an adult at the time) from fighting like children).

Is it just me or is Kirk trying to make Star look more attractive this issue? It comes across as accurate to how Billy most certainly views her.
Unlike last issue it has a good fight with a real sense of dread as three member are quickly taken out.

42- Good interaction, though a reread makes it less fun. This issue is why I prefer Terry to Michael. Terry’s plan are just so crazy and out of the box with his crazy rules lawyering.

43/44- They gave Hawkgirl much buffer arms here. I do not know why. I do not think this knowledge of the history of sieges will actually help much. Siege warfare changes completely with new technology, so really only knowing about that era’s siege warfare will really help that much, and that place needs lots and lots of ditches around it to protect against siege equipment.

Decent battle with Billy and Adam stealing the show.

She did the same thing to Sylvester. Does Star just have an obsession with waiting for people to wake up?
Why does Stinky change colors?

1. Yes I would want to be immortal, and (part of this Easter) I would want to see the Crucifixion and after it is too late realize that was a horrible idea.

2. Very wholesome, and it made me cry a few weeks ago. Adam is really inconsistent on whether he wants to work with Billy or not, almost brotherly.

Of these 6 issues I love 5, so great ratio, and a crucial buildup to my second favorite storyline ever.

3 Likes
  • What did you think of how Power Girl handled her stalker ? Pt a fan, too much sexual innuendo and lack of seriousness that it deserves.
  • One of the children being held hostage by the grandson of The Shadower asked if he remembered what he wanted to be when he grew up and his reply was “I don’t remember”. I found that to be the most emotionally impactful moments of the issue for me. Which moment did you feel was the most emotionally impactful for you?
    I would have to agree with that.
  • Whose powers would you rather have: Captain Marvel’s ability to fly or Hourman’s flash forwards?
    Flight, knowing the future doesn’t appeal to me, I’d rather live it, good and bad.
  • What did you think of the interactions between the two Terrifics?
    Nicely done, portrayed the strengths of each very well.
  • And good ole Vandal Savage has returned. If you were immortal like he is what would be some of the historical events you would want to witness? Would you even want to be immortal?
    The rebirth of Christ, building of the pyramids, battle of Thermopylae, sinking of Atlantis, Rome, Knossos, and Athens, Memphis, Babylon in all their glory, the Trojan War just a few as to immortality , I would enjoy experiencing history as it unfolds, but not sure I could accept the losses that would come with it.
  • What did you think of the interactions between Black Adam and Captain Marvel while the latter was in Ancient Egypt?
    Interesting, and I liked it, showing that not all villains were born bad, or that what sacrifices you make for your greater good, can make you villainous.
5 Likes