Official DC Community Book Club: Batman/The Flash - The Button

In celebration of the premier of The Flash in theaters, it’s time to kick off this month’s DC Community Book Club with an epic crossover story!

The Caped Crusader and our favorite Speedster team up in this month’s Official DC Community Book Club pick: Batman/Flash: The Button! Will Bats and Barry do what it takes to face Reverse Flash? Who does this mysterious button belong to? Join this month’s two week book club and find out!

Remember, Batman/Flash: The Button will be free to read for all registered users until June 30! So read up and join the group discussions as we uncover the mysteries of the Speed Force and beyond!

Part 1-2 Discussion Questions
  1. Right at the beginning of the first issue, we see the smiley face motif on both the button and the Arkham Asylum poster in the TV room. Do you think this face will play as sort of a harbinger of violence and chaos throughout this story? If not, what else do you think this image represents?

2. The incident at the game ends up foreshadowing Bruce’s encounter with Thawne. Is there anything else between these issues that you feel is foreshadowing later events?

3. Why exactly do you think the button “called” Thawne in particular?

4. Do you think Reverse-Flash will stay dead, or that his death may be “undone” in the future, following all the time-traveling events?

5. Following a thorough investigation of the crime scene, Bruce asks Barry if he felt any relief over Thawne’s death, to which he denies. Do you think that’s the absolute truth, or do you think Barry truly does feel some sort of vindication seeing Thawne perish so brutally?

6. Though he should have destroyed it, Barry kept the Cosmic Treadmill anyway. Do you think there may have been any points where his scientific mind tried to “fix” all the things that caused Flashpoint — like correcting a math equation — to see if he could go back in time again the right way?

7. How do you think Bruce’s father was able to recognize him, even with his cowl on?

8. Barry spends a lot of the second issue reflecting on the Flashpoint and how his “selfishness”, so to speak, caused damage throughout the timeline. While he’s still carrying that guilt, we see that Bruce is very adamant on joining him on the treadmill. Do you think Bruce is having the same emotions Barry had pre-Flashpoint, where catching a glimpse of his father is driving him to make irrational decisions?

Part 3-4 Discussion Questions
  1. Thomas Wayne, aka Batman, reveals that the Flash was the one who told him that his son wasn’t supposed to die in his timeline. He says that the Flash gave him hope for the first time; however, do you feel like he initially felt angry at the Flash, given that it was Barry’s actions that caused the loss of his son in the first place?

2. Alone in his Batcave, preparing for the worst, we see that Thomas is ready to do whatever it takes to “be with his son and wife”. Do you think that’s the future Bruce would’ve really wanted for him?

3. Why do you think Bruce refused to look at his father? Moreover, how do you think Bruce felt seeing his father wield a gun as Batman?

4. What would’ve happened if Bruce was able to drag Thomas back to his original timeline with him?

5. In similar fashion to Barry, do you think Bruce is able to accept that he cannot change timelines as he so chooses, or do you think there’s still some inkling in him mulling over what he could’ve done — or can do — to “make things right” and save Thomas somehow? Do you think he accepts that Thomas and his timeline are gone forever?

6. When Jay dies in front of Barry, do you think he had a very similar vision to Thawne, who claimed to “see God” before passing?

7. Would it be wise for Bruce to take his father’s advice and stop being Batman?

8. What do you think was the true purpose of the Button leading Bruce and Barry through different timelines, allowing them to see Thomas and Jay again? Additionally, how do you suppose Barry feels in the aftermath of everything?

As with every Official DC Community Book Club, here are some awesome digital perks to go along with your reading adventures!

Desktop Wallpapers
Mobile Wallpapers
Bookmarks
7 Likes

I’d better hurry and read the book, it look really interesting. Love the Batman and Flash team up in Batman: Gotham Adventures #25. :slightly_smiling_face:

*Updated: I’ve finishing reading the first 2 books and it’s really good!:smiley:

:batman: :00_flash:

3 Likes

I liked it.

3 Likes

Awesome™:+1:. I enjoyed this crossover the first time. Nice to give it a reread.

2 Likes

I loved The Button when it came out, especially the lenticular covers that the print editions of each issue had (DC excels at lenticular covers and then some).

This story remains a jewel in the Rebirth crowns of Batman and The Flash, as well as that of the Rebirth oeuvre.

4 Likes

I’m not a big fan of Watchmen follow-ups or multiverse crossovers, but I love the Flash, Batman, and the discussions we have in bookclub, so I’m going into this with an open mind.

4 Likes

Hey there, DCBC!

First round of questions are up!

3 Likes

Fun times for us ahead.

Saturn Girl is there foreshadowing pieces of Doomsday Clock. Same with Johnny Thunder.

Do destroy this detestable man in a painful death that will impact his believes for centuries of comics ahead.

Reverse Flash is a ridiculously overused villain. They will bring him back.

He is lying. He does not like seeing people die including Thawne, but there is some relief.

Yes, he messes up the space-time continuum approximately once a week. Of course he is trying to change history again. He is doing that in theaters right now.

I know my own dad. We are family. I have spent years wanting to embrace him in my arms, so to prepare myself for this possibility I spent decades learning what he would look like if he was still alive after all this time. After Barry’s description I adjusted my theories based on him wearing a Batman suit with red eyes. Do not pretend this is the most unrealistic thing I have done.

No, I have to make sure everything stays stable by sending the only person I trust, myself. I know Dad is dead, so I have other ideas, steal a timeline snowglobe and bring his world back that way in an epic sequel to Flashpoint.

2 Likes

W1

• Right at the beginning of the first issue, we see the smiley face motif on both the button and the Arkham Asylum poster in the TV room. Do you think this face will play as sort of a harbinger of violence and chaos throughout this story? If not, what else do you think this image represents?

A tease ti watchmen ultimately. As this was coming out after rebirth teased big stuff with them.

• The incident at the game ends up foreshadowing Bruce’s encounter with Thawne. Is there anything else between these issues that you feel is foreshadowing later events?

The Manhattan tease with RF. FPBats showing up for his big part in Batman rebirth. And teases with crisis reboots being a big part of rebirth.

• Why exactly do you think the button “called” Thawne in particular?

He’s a time variant. He doesn’t belong here. And maybe something with the speed force.

• Do you think Reverse-Flash will stay dead, or that his death may be “undone” in the future, following all the time-traveling events?

Definitely undone. As comics deaths are rarely permanent but his are especially so.

• Following a thorough investigation of the crime scene, Bruce asks Barry if he felt any relief over Thawne’s death, to which he denies. Do you think that’s the absolute truth, or do you think Barry truly does feel some sort of vindication seeing Thawne perish so brutally?

Maybe a little relief that he won’t be a threat but more of regret that he couldn’t help him or bring him to justice as opposed to vindication.

• Though he should have destroyed it, Barry kept the Cosmic Treadmill anyway. Do you think there may have been any points where his scientific mind tried to “fix” all the things that caused Flashpoint — like correcting a math equation — to see if he could go back in time again the right way?

Maybe in theory but never acted in it based off what happened last time.

• How do you think Bruce’s father was able to recognize him, even with his cowl on?

A father knows his son and probably remember a bit of what Barry told him.

• Barry spends a lot of the second issue reflecting on the Flashpoint and how his “selfishness”, so to speak, caused damage throughout the timeline. While he’s still carrying that guilt, we see that Bruce is very adamant on joining him on the treadmill. Do you think Bruce is having the same emotions Barry had pre-Flashpoint, where catching a glimpse of his father is driving him to make irrational decisions?

Maybe or Bruce just willing to try anything to get to the truth. This mystery has been bugging him and this is a chance at answers and his dies has a past if taking these risks to get his answers.

1 Like

I honestly hadn’t thought of that! How do you suppose he would have helped him?

2 Likes

Flash Rebirth spoilers

In their story if I’m remembering right he did something timeline wise that lead to RF living happy in the future so maybe something like that. (But of course didn’t last long cause Crisises and such changing stuff :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes
  1. Trying to track what happens immediately after any panel where we get a good look at the button (or the smiley face on the wall) didn’t really yield any patterns for me. I’ll be interested to read what other people might think, and I’ll definitely keeping tracking it in the next two issues.
  2. I don’t really know how to pick up on foreshadowing in advance.
  3. The button, both the storyline and the literal button it’s named after, are all about timeline shenanigans. “Timeline shenanigans” is practically Eobard Thawne’s middle name. If we’re implying that the button has a will, Thawne or Thawne’s aura is probably better suited to enacting that will than anyone else.
  4. Sadly, I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Thawne.
  5. I think it’s obvious that he feels relief at not having to worry about Thawne anymore. What I don’t think Barry feels is vindication, as you put it.
  6. Yes? Especially when you put it in those terms, that sounds very much like Barry. On the other hand, that sounds like someone still working through the bargaining stage of grief, and I personally like to think that Barry left Flashpoint having grieved the loss of his mother and being able to move on with his life. I guess I don’t know.
  7. Barry explained that Bruce was Batman in the main timeline. I assume Thomas just guessed the man in the batsuit with the Flash was Bruce.
  8. Absolutely. I don’t think that Batman, unlike my headcannon version of Barry, is a healed person. He is incapable of making rational decisions when it comes to his parents.
3 Likes

Rereading over and over.

3 Likes

1 More day until the next questions.

3 Likes

Happy Monday, DCBC! The final round of discussion questions are up!

3 Likes

W2

1. Thomas Wayne, aka Batman, reveals that the Flash was the one who told him that his son wasn’t supposed to die in his timeline. He says that the Flash gave him hope for the first time; however, do you feel like he initially felt angry at the Flash, given that it was Barry’s actions that caused the loss of his son in the first place?

Maybe some anger. Probably a whole mix of emotions he doesn’t really know how to deal with well (like many Waynes​:sweat_smile:)

1. Alone in his Batcave, preparing for the worst, we see that Thomas is ready to do whatever it takes to “be with his son and wife”. Do you think that’s the future Bruce would’ve really wanted for him?

No but a part him yes. He knows some ways logically aren’t right but he also know that feeling of doing anything to be with his family again.

1. Why do you think Bruce refused to look at his father? Moreover, how do you think Bruce felt seeing his father wield a gun as Batman?

He knew it wasn’t really “his” dad but he feeling of seeing that would blind him and he’s not really sure how to with with it do he ignores it. I don’t think he was fond of it probably saw more as a reminder it’s not “his” dad.

1. What would’ve happened if Bruce was able to drag Thomas back to his original timeline with him?

Don’t know. They may have both wanted family but it wouldn’t have real. Just look at the rebirth run.

1. In similar fashion to Barry, do you think Bruce is able to accept that he cannot change timelines as he so chooses, or do you think there’s still some inkling in him mulling over what he could’ve done — or can do — to “make things right” and save Thomas somehow? Do you think he accepts that Thomas and his timeline are gone forever?

Again a yes and know. He knows the consequences and wants to think logically on stuff like this but sometimes the heart wants what it wants so he may have ideas but will never act on them. No I don’t think he accepts it as there probably have been other timelines that erased and came back.

1. When Jay dies in front of Barry, do you think he had a very similar vision to Thawne, who claimed to “see God” before passing?

Probably based of the blue light (and doomsday clock)

1. Would it be wise for Bruce to take his father’s advice and stop being Batman?

No. He couldn’t live like that and he does do good even went it may not look like it at times.

1. What do you think was the true purpose of the Button leading Bruce and Barry through different timelines, allowing them to see Thomas and Jay again? Additionally, how do you suppose Barry feels in the aftermath of everything?

The true purpose was showing the start. It all started with flashpoint and has ties to watchmen with that butt. All to lead to Doomsday clock. Barry a bit confused and reflective with flashpoint and such.

2 Likes

He is always angry, so that is normal for him.

No, he wants him to be happily married.

He knows they are about to be separated again, and neither is happy the other is Batman.

He seemed surprisingly fine with it. Way better than when he saw me with a water gun.

A perfect storyline of wonders.

He does not accept that, as he later raises from the dead in a top 2 comic series from the year 2022.

No, Jay is friends with Jim Corrigan who is way more god than The loser Dr. Manhattan.

No, the world needs Batman. Thomas simply thinks this world is better so it does not. Batman is Balls Nasty and the supreme.

For closure of their lost passes.

Terrible for all the pain he has caused.

2 Likes
  1. I haven’t actually read Flashpoint, but this seems like a perfectly reasonable response, so yeah. no matter how many timey-wimey caveats you put in there, if someone tells you “your son is dead because of actions I took” you’re going to resent them a little, probably a lot.
  2. No. Both Batmen want nothing more than for their family members to survive.
  3. Possibly he was trying to keep himself focussed on the case and knew that if he even looked at his father he would lose all emotional detachment. I’ve always read Bruce’s gun aversion as really being more about trauma than an actual moral stance (he uses deadly weapons non-lethally all the time. Why can he not let people even have guns near him?), so I’m sure seeing his own father wielding gun was very difficult.
  4. I could definitely see him just becoming a part of the mainstream universe, like Miles Morales over at Marvel (who took over for his Peter Parker in the Ultimate universe, but is now hanging out with regular PP in the 616 universe). I can see DC editorial wanting that, but I’m glad it didn’t happen.
  5. Again, he cannot think rationally when it comes to his parents. He’s definitely working on a plan to return right now.
  6. I didn’t follow what happened after this crossover, but I thought they saw Doctor Manhattan and that Thawne calling him God was a reference to the line “God is real and he’s American”.
  7. Yep.
  8. I think Barry’s motivated to reincorporate the lost timelines, and I think that that was the point.
3 Likes

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this story. I’m still not a fan of stories that interrupt an ongoing narrative to serve a crossover event, but the talent on display here is undeniable. I love the way that Tom King and Jason Fabok play around with Comics’ ability to display time in the first issue, and I really love how Howard Porter visualizes the Flash’s speed. I’m probably going to go back and read the rest of the Flash books with him as artist now

5 Likes