Official DC Book Club - Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow!

A grand adventure awaits: this month’s Official DC Book Club features Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow!

Bouncing from planet to planet in search of revenge, Ruthye finds herself in the company of the most unexpected companion: Kara Zor-El. Join these two unlikely friends as they adventure through a magnificent story in Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #1 and #2, for this month’s Official DC Book Club! We’ll be reading both issues from March 25 to March 31, so head to DCUI and get to readin’! Then swing back here for discussion questions all week long!

Discussion Questions

Issue #1:

1. Prior to her father’s death — as he was the only one who seemed to mind her — do you think Ruthye was truly happy with her life, being this stoic young girl who didn’t seem to have much presence in her family?

2. We learn that the events of this story take place on Supergirl’s birthday, where she’s seen “celebrating” alone … and in a place where she knows she is physically vulnerable. Do you think this sort of behavior was reckless of her? Why do you think she chose to spend her birthday like this?

3. How far do you think Ruthye honestly would’ve gotten in her hunt for Krem had she not run into Supergirl early on?

4. Ruthye may be all business on the surface, but in following Supergirl, it seems like she may also be inspired by her. How do you think it feels for this young girl, who was raised primarily among bigger, stronger men, to have a woman like Supergirl in her life suddenly?

Issue #2:

1. We touched on how Ruthye is quiet, serious, and extremely to-the-point, likely due to her upbringing and somewhat muted role in the family. How do you think these little moments of Supergirl’s kindness towards her affect her?

2. Supergirl seems pretty used to being the one whom people take vengeance on due to her cousin Superman’s actions. Do you think this is why she seems somewhat pessimistic and hardened in her intergalactic travels?

3. The theme of this story revolves heavily around vengeance, vengeance, vengeance. When Ruthye confronts Supergirl about the loss of her own planet, Supergirl says she did not think to take her own revenge, and Ruthye notes that her tone sounded regretful. How much do you think Supergirl would’ve changed as a person if she HAD killed those who took her planet from her back then?

4. Had Krem not killed Krypto, do you think Supergirl would’ve still agreed to assist Ruthye in her revenge quest?

As always, no DC Book Club would be complete without some awesome digital perks!

Desktop Wallpapers
Mobile Wallpapers
Bookmarks

See you on March 25! :superman:

9 Likes

@Bar-El, you’re going to love this! More Supergirl! :smiley:

:0_supergirl:

6 Likes

This is ironic since I did a full review of this comic earlier this month

6 Likes

Yes! This is going to be the year of Supergirl! :partying_face:

4 Likes

I’m SUPER excited!

4 Likes

Ba-dum TSSSSSH!

3 Likes

Gracias

3 Likes

Love this book. Awe:00_supergirl_arrowverse:ome™:+1: choice.

5 Likes

Aaaaand here are our discussion questions!

Also, for the record? I LOVE Ruthye. This read was such a wild one, sitting through all her excessive dialogue :joy:

4 Likes

1 - I’m not sure if happy is the right word. But I would think Ruthye would say she was content.

2 - I don’t think it was reckless. She mapped out where she wanted to go, found a means of transportation to and from, and hid the spaceship out of sight from the locals. Reckless people don’t out in that kind of forethought. And I think she did all of this because I’m sure a birthday would bring back memories of Krypton, eventually remembering how it all ended and she didn’t feel comfortable yet being that emotionally vulnerable on Earth and near Clark.

3 - Realistically, I think Ruthye would have spent her entire life trying to find Krem. But how much progress she would have made is up for debate. I could see her being killed off either because she rubbed someone else the wrong way on her journey or just by accident in a strange environment. It’s also possible she could have adopted a life as a mercenary in order to provide for herself and her mission.

4 - Ruthye herself probably put it best in her own words in the final issue of the comic when all 3 of them were on the beach.

5 - I think in some way, moments like Kara showing Ruthye how to wash her hands was a quiet reminder that despite her surroundings or situation, she isn’t any less important than anyone else

6 - I don’t know if those actions by themselves necassarily make her hard and pessimistic. But I do think they way they approach and treat her stirs something inside her as they indirectly bring back past trauma. So I guess it doesn’t really help her emotionally speaking, but I don’t think they actively make her worse.

7 - I’m confused by this question. Last time I checked, no one actively destroyed Krypton, but rather it was the inaction of the people to change their situation lead to the planet being destroyed. Was this retconned and I just missed the memo?

8 - I mean, technically Kara lied about Krypto dying so she could join Ruthye and find a more peaceful way of resolving their conflict. But if Krypto hadn’t been injured, there is a good chance Kara probably wouldn’t have involved herself. Not for certain, but a chance

5 Likes

I have not reread this recently but having read it in the past and having loved it…

1. Ruthye was resigned to her life. She was happy because she didn’t know any better. I believe that as she travels she realizes she could never go back to her old life and be happy again.

2. I viewed it as a ritual to humble herself and remind herself of her origins, what life was like on Krypton and as a chance to meditate on the year thay has passed and the year to come.

3. Not very far. I think she’d have lost all that she had, been scammed, been taken advantage of, been tricked and been laughed at. I doubt she’d have found anyone to travel the galaxies with her in this quest.

4. It has to be inspiring but also confusing. She’s never seen a woman this powerful, this confident, this fearless and to see it so close and to be partnered with her had to be a shock to the system in a good way.

4 Likes

W1
Issue #1:

1. Prior to her father’s death — as he was the only one who seemed to mind her — do you think Ruthye was truly happy with her life, being this stoic young girl who didn’t seem to have much presence in her family?

I think she was content and had some sort happiness since this was all she knew. But of all that changes when her dad dies and then more so when she meet supergirl and saw what more is there.

1. We learn that the events of this story take place on Supergirl’s birthday, where she’s seen “celebrating” alone … and in a place where she knows she is physically vulnerable. Do you think this sort of behavior was reckless of her? Why do you think she chose to spend her birthday like this?

It’s definitely reckless but not a bad reckless more of just a stupid fun reckless. She wanted to get drunk on her 21st birthday and this was the way to do but instead of partying with friend she chose solitude (except for Krypto) which I think is because of what’s on her mind with this. That being krypton’s destruction. Birthday have probably always been hard for after going to earth. I bet Clark and the family did there best to give her fun one and I bet she has had them on earth but 21st is a big one and she probably envisioned it with family and her childhood friends as there older and having a fun time but it’s just her left. Leading to a drowning sorrrows and anger kind of birthday for her.

1. How far do you think Ruthye honestly would’ve gotten in her hunt for Krem had she not run into Supergirl early on?

She wouldn’t have gotten far sadly. Either died in confrontation or would have not been able to leave the planet.

1. Ruthye may be all business on the surface, but in following Supergirl, it seems like she may also be inspired by her. How do you think it feels for this young girl, who was raised primarily among bigger, stronger men, to have a woman like Supergirl in her life suddenly?

It definitely has to inspire her. Probably giving her ideas she can be more and be stronger too. But also probably a little bit confusing and conflicting considering how she was raised but mostly inspiring. Hopeful too.

Issue #2:

1. We touched on how Ruthye is quiet, serious, and extremely to-the-point, likely due to her upbringing and somewhat muted role in the family. How do you think these little moments of Supergirl’s kindness towards her affect her?

It’s probably as I mentioned it gives give Hope inspiration and probably comfort seeing how kind people can be.

1. Supergirl seems pretty used to being the one whom people take vengeance on due to her cousin Superman’s actions. Do you think this is why she seems somewhat pessimistic and hardened in her intergalactic travels?

Probably a bit but it’s probably more of what’s on her mind during this of krypton’s destruction and how she is always compared and expected to be like Clark but she’s it. That hardened nature is her and a part of her. She probably gets to be bit more herself here than on earth always having to a symbol Clark built as oppose to her own. Not saying she isn’t kind and hopeful and optimistic but she also more hardened and pessimistic at times too.

1. The theme of this story revolves heavily around vengeance, vengeance, vengeance. When Ruthye confronts Supergirl about the loss of her own planet, Supergirl says she did not think to take her own revenge, and Ruthye notes that her tone sounded regretful. How much do you think Supergirl would’ve changed as a person if she HAD killed those who took her planet from her back then?

Nott really sure it may have changed everything it may change nothing. She may exchange one regret for another. Hard to say.

1. Had Krem not killed Krypto, do you think Supergirl would’ve still agreed to assist Ruthye in her revenge quest?

Probably but May have taken more convincing. Krypto made it personal for her before it wasn’t her issue but she does help so it may have been more begrudgingly helping but trying to stop as oppose to joining in the hunt.

3 Likes

Seinfeld gif. Jerry reclining on the couch with his feet up, eating popcorn and watching TV, making a victory fist in the air

SN: Jerry’s watching Supergirl (1984).

3 Likes