Official Batman Movie Discussion Thread! (Spoilers!)

I really enjoyed the movie.

It does share a lot in common with The Long Halloween structurally. The more things I think about, the more parallels I can draw. I wouldn’t say it’s a direct adaptation. But, it does form the skeleton structure of the entire film. Sense we just had the animated adaption of The Long Halloween; it’s almost like someone sat down and said, ‘Instead of trying to condense a thirteen issue comic series into a live action movie as a direct adaptation; what would it be like instead if we re-worked the story from scratch into a super focused live action movie for 2022?’

There is enough different that it shouldn’t be considered an adaptation. But, to ignore the similarities would be to ignore that it was clearly the foundational inspiration.

Both start on Halloween. Both are Batman, mob, murder mystery stories. Both have the reveal that Catwoman was the daughter of Carmine Falcone. Both have Thomas Wayne saving Carmine Falcone in the past; and the ramifications for what that means for the name of the Wayne Family and for Batman.

6 Likes

I agree @ccook1192.40960 !! Welcome to the community btw

2 Likes

I think this was my favorite Batman movie in terms of it being set in modern day times and isn’t meant to be campy. Not once did I lose interest and I absolutely loved the cinematography. I think the hype and wait was worth it.

Most users on here vividly remember going to see Batman 1989 in theaters when it came out, along with the merchandise that came from it. In a way, I feel like this movie, along with the ARG, secret codes and links online, and the Batman pizza from Little Ceasars is for me and this generation what the '89 movie was for that generation (sorry if this was worded a little weirdly, but I hope it made some sense).

Also, I’m going to say it… Pattinson is hot as Batman. Absolutely :grin:

7 Likes

Enjoyed this a whole lot!

Really benefited being stand-a-lone. The moment that hit especially for me was when Alfred received the bomb, my jaw dropped in suspense since they really could do anything to these characters in it’s own Universe. I could even believe Catwoman permanently stays away from Gotham from now on (hope she comes back or pops up in another Reeves-Verse project down the line. SO GOOD!)

Liked trying to solve the riddles before Batman in the movie lol (think I got 2)
Riddler’s genuine dismay to Batman rejecting him was gold, loved Paul Dano’s portrayal showing how unhinged he is behind the vengeful-predatorial actions of Edward.

Robert Pattinson was also fantastic as Batman and loved the arc he had. His ability of emoting with his eyes in different ways (which tell their own story) was really amazing and kudos for Reeve’s direction with this as well. Everyone was awesome! and the music ~ :notes: :clap:

8 Likes

Criminals last words before entering a dark alley in Gotham

Circa 2022 #TheBatman :batman_hv_1:

9 Likes

As far as live action goes, The Batman is now my second favorite Batman movie.

My favorite is still The Dark Knight and that will always be a hard movie to top. That had masterful performances and meaning and came out at just the right time. I also have years of nostalgia around that movie. That was my Batman. So much so that if I had to recommend to someone one thing to watch (or read, or play) to show them who Batman is; I would still point that person to The Dark Knight. I didn’t expect it to be topped, but I stay open minded going in because I know it’s possible.

That all said, this movie was amazing and was the Batman movie it needed to be for a new generation of fans. I enjoyed it through and through and I look forward to more movies to come in this series; as well as the Penguin series I keep hearing about now.

This looked like the first time we were getting a dark live action Batman sense the Dark Knight Trilogy and that made me excited. I also noticed the film noir style in the trailers and I was looking forward to the first live action Batman detective, mob, mystery movie.

It was well worth the wait and they made an amazing film.

5 Likes

I was fine with the withdrawn Bruce Wayne, but I agree with all your other points. Strengths in almost every department of production. I would have happily welcomed more of Selina (who could carry her own movie), more Gordon, more Penguin, more Falcone. The only character I had too much of was the Riddler. One thing that was no mystery was whether his dirtbag targets were going to survive.

I think it would have made for a tighter conclusion if they’d arrested the one guy and then immediately have to wonder whether they have the right person because someone is out there blowing up seawalls

4 Likes

Doesn’t seem like there’s anywhere I can go without seeing a post about The Batman (expected given my DC leaning social media tendencies) and how great it is. Starting to feel a bit weird for not enjoying it as much as everyone. Want to see if I’m going to feel any different upon rewatching. Some movies grow on you with time (Shazam was one of those for me).

8 Likes

I think sometimes people just over-excite themselves and set the bar too high.

Happened to me for Avengers: Endgame

4 Likes

Not me, personally, because I was only a year old at the time. I do have a photo somewhere of my kid self next to the Burton Batmobile, a girl in a Catwoman costume and a life-sized Batman statue. I more remember the marketing leading up to Batman Forever.

But yeah, I definitely get echos of those times with all the marketing and how everyone is talking about it.

And…yes. Yes, definitely. Him and Zoe.

My hope is that we get a stand alone mini with Selina in Bludhaven, with her coming back in 2 or more likely 3.

If you genuinely want to, that seems fairly possible that it could be a movie that grows on you over time.

That said, if you do give it a few honest tries and find it’s just not something you’re into – that’s fine as well. You’re not a lesser fan or whatever nonsense some weirdo on the internet might claim.

8 Likes

Thank you for the kind comments @Jay_Kay and @Jurisdiction. This is probably the only DC forum where one can express a dissenting opinion without getting belittled.

Yeah I must confess I really wanted to like it. Detective/mystery movies were never my thing, which I guess had a lot to do with being underwhelmed and feeling a bit bored while watching. I know he is “the world’s greatest detective”, but I’ve kind of always enjoyed other aspects of the character more.

Some of the comments I’ve read here though are making me see things in a different light: in particular the ones regarding Bruce still finding his way in this movie. It makes me look at the angst and… just… general sense of discomfort (for lack of a better word, sorry) exhibited by Batman as a stepping stone towards (hopefully) growing into the full fledged hero I’m more accustomed to seeing.

Still won’t come near top of my DC movie list, but I guess I can learn to be more appreciative of it :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

To tell you the truth, I love Zoe as Catwoman, probably a lot more than Michelle Pfeiffer. Not to say that I don’t like her in Batman Returns, but the two versions are different, and Zoe’s felt more like the version we see today.

But yeah, I definitely loved the Bat and Cat relationship in this one a lot better than the other versions we see in movies, it felt more spot on and accurate.

6 Likes

I was admittedly a little hard on the flick when the early trailers were released and on how the movie being grounded was making it look like re-heated leftovers from The Dark Knight Trilogy. I admit this with absolutely zero hesitation.

Then that Bat and Cat trailer came out (alongside the merchandise) and I got excited for the flick for the first time.

Having seen the movie (with wicked-rad Dolby Atmos audio, which made my chair vibrate in the best way), what’d I think?

It was…OUTSTANDING (and that’s what my buddy thought of it, as well).

The Batman was exactly the kind of David Fincher (famous filmmaker, look 'im up if you’re unaware of him)-style Batman movie I’ve been wanting since the early '00s.

In fact, you could show scenes of this movie and Fincher’s best side by side, and to those unaware, they’d likely say The Batman was of Fincher’s hand.

Anyhow, I loved everything about the flick, just everything!

As an ardent Batman fan, it just felt like a living, breathing, noir-esque comic come to life and a perfect on-screen encapsulation of what we think of Batman when it comes to the comics, from a general POV.

I was definitely reminded of Ego, but also some of Ed Brubaker’s work, and not just his work on Batman, but Gotham Central and Catwoman, too.

Two of my favorite Easter eggs were the name drops of Blackgate and Bludhaven (the Nightwing Nerd in me especially liked that one). They didn’t add anything to the story, but when you’re a nerd about this stuff, those are the kind of things that send a happy little charge throughout your person, make you smile and say “Cool!” to yourself.

As a movie geek, The Batman was overflowing with goodness. Great Rao, from the cinematography, to the music, the composition of scenes, the sound design, it was all GRAND.

I have to say, I was still on the fence about the movie as I literally walked into the giant auditorium I saw it in, but afterward, I left with a figurative, ear to ear smile on my face because The Batman was GREAT.

As for rankings, I’d place it as follows:

Filmmaking

1. The Dark Knight
  2. The Batman
  3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Entertainment value

1. Batman Forever
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. The Batman/Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

IDK if I’ll see the flick in theaters again, but if time, funds and interest should allow, sure, why not? It was great in laser projection and Dolby Atmos the first go-around, so why not do it again? :batparrot:

As for a sequel, I really hope we get a new to live-action villain (or villains). Reeves scratched the itch for using villains well-known to non-comic fan audiences, but for any sequel(s), let’s dive into the comics and use villains who have little to no live-action adaptations to their credit.

Clayface would fit in quite well for starters. A guy who can literally make over his physical identity is just begging to be used in a Batman movie where mystery is the flavor of the piece.

If Reeves must stick with well-known villains seen in live-action, then I could go for his take on Mr. Freeze and/or Bane. Previous adaptations of those two have their merits (yes, even SchwarzeFreeze :nerd_face:), but I don’t feel we’ve yet had definitive LA takes on Mr. Freeze or Bane. I bet Reeves would hit homers with one, or both, of them.

That said, let’s use new to live-action villains for the follow-ups, because Batman has a huge rogue’s gallery and many of those lesser-known characters will become household names if you just, you know, feature them in a movie.

7 Likes

Easily shot up to my favorite live action Batman movie. That final act really tied it up together well.

Need to clear some time for another viewing!

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @bravefencer! It’s great to have you here, and I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. Please let us know if there’s ever anything we can help you with!

3 Likes

welcome to the community @bravefencer!!!

2 Likes

Been waiting on your take, Vroomy. Glad you liked it! Judging by the grand majority of extremely positive reviews, I guess I can understand the use of “we” up there :slightly_smiling_face:. I think of Batman as a hero that is in peak human physical and mental condition. A master of martial arts, a master strategist, with a litany of financial and technological resources at his fingertips. A hero so intelligent, he’s usually (but not always) a few steps ahead of everyone else. Extremely confident and set in his ways, and has a presence that can be both intimidating and awe inspiring at the same time. There was “some” of the above in this movie, but it didn’t quite capture that for me.

Yeah… the guy who did “Se7en”, right? I think I mentioned that movie in my initial comment here. I guess we see eye to eye on that one, with the main difference being it’s not exactly something I’ve been jonesing for.

Anywho, like I said, good to hear you had a good time, buddy. This one will take some time for me to really warm up to!

3 Likes

Aw, thanks. :hugs:

says “I did like it, I did!” ala Tweety

That’s how I see a Batman who’s been on the scene for around 5 years or so to be. He’s past the growing pains found in years 1 and 2 and is now an everlasting, ass-kicking force for good who has Plans behind Plans.

However, since this movie was in year two, I was able to accept that PattBat (that still a thing?) was a little leaner and maybe not quite the sharpest tool in the DCU shed that he eventually will be.

He was still a wicked-smart string bean though, I thought. :nerd_face:

Yep! Seven was his first good movie (sorry/not sorry, Alien 3). The Fincher Flick™ that really sold me on him being perfect for Batman was The Game, which is also his best movie, bar-none. Its dark, atmospheric, brooding and so many other grand things (Michael Douglas’ character could even be seen as a tight-ass villain that Bruce contends with in the boardroom, while Batman fights his thugs on the streets).

If the mood should strike, check out The Game and Panic Room, as they’re both very dark and atmospheric just like The Batman.

Also check out Fight Club, because well, its Fight Club. :grin:

Back to The Batman…I have to give credit to Selina for those nails she wore. They were fitting of a woman who’s a cat burglar, because they’re certainly akin to claws.

I would have pitied Falcone when Selina scratched his face with those nails, but given what a vile villain he was, I was quite glad to see Selina scratch his face with those nails.

4 Likes

Hey, I’ve been complaining about it more than you have, so don’t feel bad. :wink:

As for myself, I’m not worried if I’m out of sync with others on here. First, they all know that I’m a Batman fan (perhaps too much of one for my own good), so I don’t have to prove myself by pretending to like something that I didn’t like. Second, many of them have heard me trash Batman Begins enough times that they should expect me to be hard on any Batman movie that tries to pretend that a billionaire dressing up as a bat and fighting crime is anything other than pure escapist fantasy with no grounding in reality. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Plus, now that I know that Bat-Mite is in the DCEU thanks to Peacemaker, I’m even more determined to see more Batfleck! Give me that comic book weirdness!)

5 Likes

Gonna say did not enjoy the music. Really don’t like Nirvana. Let alone 3 hours of one song

4 Likes