Oddly Specific Question About Golden Age Characters

I’ve been thinking about Golden Age superheroes recently (mainly because of reading Starman and watching Stargirl), and I got to thinking that it would be cool if we got a modern comic series about the JSA or other Golden Age characters that was actually a period piece set back in the '40s.

The two I came up with were All-Star Squadron (which, to be perfectly honest, really shows its age) and The Golden Age (which I do really like). Is there anything else with a premise like that?

6 Likes

The frame story of America vs. the Justice Society is set in the present, but the flashbacks are set in the past.

5 Likes

There were flashbacks in Infinity Inc, but that’s a stretch to call modern these days. But even The Golden Age is over twenty years old now. I was hoping the 5G rework would include things like you suggest, but we’l have to see where that goes.

2 Likes

You can check out the JSA miniseries from 1991 as well. It’s set in the early 50s.

4 Likes

I’ve been rereading All Star Squadron recently and I think it has aged well and find it very entertaining and somewhat educational for the period it depicts. Roy Thomas is an exceptional comic book writer and his creation of, and run on this book, makes it a classic…

6 Likes

I agree. I started reading All-Star Squadron as part of my deep dive into Crisis. It’s pretty good. I was expecting bubble gum, but it’s fairly nuanced. The writing’s spot on.

4 Likes

Roy deals with
ALL of the super heroes of the time
Even a Spirit Duplicate
The characters from Fawcette and Quality
Handles why magic based or weaken by couldn’t just go in snd end the war
Handle race relations
Handled the loss of Superman Batman and Wonder Woman after Crisis.

That is a lot of effort all well done.

5 Likes

Well, I have no doubt that you’ve read it, but DC: The New Frontier is most certainly a throwback. If you just want stuff with a late Golden Age, early Silver Age feel to it, then might I suggest the Robin: Year One and Batgirl: Year One miniseries? Heck, Batgirl even has an appearance by the JSA.

2 Likes

That’s a good one. I know they’ve had a couple relaunches with the comics but I would love a golden age animated film with the Challengers of the Unkown. I understand it was a runtime factor for leaving them out of the animated New Frontier movie but thats such a great part of that story. IDK, I’d just like a film or a new comic run.

2 Likes

and dont forget, you get your monies worth with a Roy book. Like Claremont’s XMEN, lots of prose, no 10 minutes and done.

1 Like