Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 55 of Obscurity of DC’s Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be starting a 2-week focus on…
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+
Number of Issues: 5 (Please only read issues 1-5)
Synopsis from dcuniverseinfinite.com: When the Department of Homeland Security approaches Marine Biologist Lee Archer for help with a new threat, she finds herself plunged into the depths of the Arctic Circle to a secret, underwater oil rig where they discovered something miraculous and terrifying.
Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:
- Throughout the early issues of The Wake, we often cut between the past, present, and future of the history humanity and the sea monsters in this series known as the Mer. Do you think this framing device helps establish the story well? Explain.
- Lee Archer past includes a possible connection to the sea creatures. How does it inform her character and does it impact the story later on?
- The sea creatures in The Wake are shown to be strong, fast, and incredibly intelligent throughout their confrontations with the crew. Along with their ability to create illusions, in what ways do the Mer invoke fear in this series?
- What was the reason why Dr. Marlin told the story of the Saeftinghe Legend in issue 4? How does it help in stopping the Mer at the Ghost rig?
- Does the ending to the first half of The Wake work well as a introduction to the character of Leeward and do you think the ending was overall satisfying or not? Explain.
Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics?
Do you like pineapple on pizza?If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!