Obscurity of DC Presents: Ultra-bscure Book Club, Week 60 (February 11-February 17) --- KID ETERNITY!

Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 60 of Obscurity of DC’s Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week we’ll starting a 2-week focus on…

KID ETERNITY!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+

Number of Issues: 8 (Please only read 1-8)

Synopsis from dcuniverseinfinite.com: Ever wonder who’s calling the shots? Ever wonder if those in control are reviewing all the resumes? If not, consider the case of Kid Eternity. Everyone knows someone like the Kid-the dude who seems just too cool to live. In his case, though, it’s true. Kid Eternity is dead, though he tries not to let that cramp his style. In a lot of ways, he’s a pretty typical teenager-more interested in the world in his head than in the job at hand, which is to help humanity raise its consciousness and climb the next rung of evolution’s ladder. Okay, so the Kid can call on anyone in all history to aid him in his quest, but there we go assuming the Kid’s going to notice it when he needs help. The Kid has this small denial problem. When your whole (after)life is just one damned thing after another, you tend to be pretty jaded, and things have to get awfully weird before the Kid gets moving.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Why does Kid Eternity use Cupid to bring the bickering Val and Jerry together? How does this relate to his mission throughout the series?
  2. When Kid Eternity summons Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung to help him in issue two, what information do we learn about Kid Eternity? Do his companions’ insights help him in any way?
  3. After confronting the racists of Kurmville in issue four, do you think Willie’s anger towards Kid Eternity was justified or not? Explain.
  4. Out of all the prominent villains introduced in this part of the series (the demons Sara, Beelzebub, Fetish, Stalker, and Infinity Jones), which villain was the most interesting in this series? What made unique as antagonists?
  5. In this part of the series, Kid Eternity’s shown to have a noble goal, but he’s lacking some heroic qualities. At this point in time, would you describe Kid Eternity as a hero or not? Explain.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

3 Likes

This is the one I was looking forward to so I’ll be reading these first eight issues and then tackling some of your questions!

4 Likes

Awesome! I’m excited to read your responses!

2 Likes

Honestly, I can’t make heads or tails of this! What a wild story so far that’s unlike anything else I’ve read from DC.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought when I read it myself. :laughing:

1 Like

Samson wrote me an entire rant about that lol

2 Likes
  1. Eternity Kid mission to “save the human race” involves bringing humanity to a new and positive way of thinking. He thinks mankind needs a new buddha or basically a prophet to lead mankind to a proper direction and believes that Val and Jerry despite their animosity with each other can bring forth this child. He conjures up a long forgotten god Cupid to help them “along the way,” of course it doesn’t work and he does it without their permission. I always think it shows his occasional nativity in how people work and him still figuring out how to use his powers for good.

2. When arguing with Freud, Jung describes Kid Eternity as a trickster figure where he’s basically trying to break conventions while still trying to be like a christ figure. His past as Freud focuses on, describes his traumatic experience and how his view on humanity comes from a sense of superiority to “make things better” because he had lacks good moral role models for what that world looks like. It focuses way too much on satirizing Freud “sexual theories” but their insight provides a pretty good idea of the flaws of his character that go beyond his metaphysical role in the universe. He doesn’t take anything from it because as I said before, he feels himself superior to be skeptical of all conventional wisdom or insight. Trusting himself to figuring out his problems in his own unique way.

3. This is probably the only time in the series I sort of agree with kid Eternity. I think he had right intentions to end a fight before it began and that Willie’s mindset is just being way too cynical of the situation. That being said, and it’s totally irrelevant to this topic. But if I worded my issue with other comic characters today I find to be self-righteous. I probably would use Willie’s words here. “True Good doesn’t announce itself. True good don’t need to brag.”

4. My favorite villain was Stalker. I hope I’m not incorrect, but I think he’s a resurrected serial killer who loves being a serial killer. I think I like him because he’s the most conventional villain here. There is no shade to him or anything. Just a murder who can single handily hold himself up against the other characters. And escape!

He also reminded me of this rick and morty character.

1. His intentions may be good and while certainly not a evil character. I think Kid Eternity is too much of a atypical and occasionally selfish person to be a hero. He really only has concerns for himself and doesn’t take his powers seriously, usually discard how they affect others and gets easily distracted from his own mission. I think the problem I have with him as a hero is that he’s a defeatest and I don’t see someone like that as a noble person.
1 Like

Great answers!

1 Like