Obscurity of DC Presents: Ultra-bscure Book Club, Week 53 (December 24-December 30) --- PUNK ROCK JESUS!

Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 53 of Obscurity of DC’s Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

PUNK ROCK JESUS!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+

Number of Issues: 6

Synopsis from dcuniverseinfinite.com: J2, the TV series starring a clone of Jesus Christ, causes chaos across a near-future United States! Religious zealots either love or hate the show, angry politicians worry about its influence on the nation, and members of the scientific community fear the implications of cloning a human being!

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. What are your thoughts on the concept of creating a clone of Jesus for a reality TV show in “Punk Rock Jesus”? How does it reflect on the intersection of religion, entertainment, and technology?
  2. The character of Chris Fairling undergoes significant development throughout the story. How did you feel about his journey, both as a clone and as a symbol?
  3. “Punk Rock Jesus” explores themes of fame, identity, and the power of media. How do these themes resonate with contemporary society, and do you see any parallels in real-world situations?
  4. The graphic novel delves into the ethical implications of genetic engineering and reality television. Do you think the narrative successfully raises important questions about these topics, or do you feel it takes a specific stance?
  5. Sean Murphy’s art style in “Punk Rock Jesus” is distinctive and dynamic. How did the visual elements enhance or influence your experience of the story?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

4 Likes

Oh, I love this book! Read it a while ago when I went on a SGM binge. (I’d suggest Joe The Barbarian for a future read - club or otherwise - full of all manner of cute little background references.)

Responding before rereading; will come back and revise my thoughts if time allows…

Cloning Jesus for reality TV is so on-the-nose it gets less funny with age. At the time of publication there was a little bit of “haha, yeah, sure looks like we’re headed that way,” but now it is more surprising that nobody has actually done it for real yet. (At least that we know of.)

I don’t think it has any “intersection” involved, though. The concept has absolutely nothing to do with religion, and is using Jesus strictly as a pop culture icon; there is no aspect of religion to the initiative. Entertainment and technology I see as parallels, not an intersection; to quote TTG Raven, “Since time immemorial …” innovations in technology have been driven primarily in the pursuit of entertainment, or, more accurately, the ability for stakeholders to profit by the advancement in technology. (And “grassroots” innovations that manage to sneak by without corporate control are quickly regulated and/or purchased to ensure they can serve someone’s pocket.)

As a clone, I think his development is kind of your typical “expected” arc, where despite his creators’ expectations (or designs), he is still human and develops his own sense of independence and choice. His personality is as influenced by nurture as it is by nature. Specifically, his life’s direction is strongly influenced by his mother’s actions; both her choices and his choices with her as his one and only trusted role model.

As a symbol, the story’s irony is that despite his efforts to be his own person and not the symbol he is created to be, his actions send him down a path that heavily echoes that of the lore around his genetic roots.

I mean, the story is an overt satire of our world, so the parallels to real-world situations are everywhere from start to finish. From the historic concept of cult of personality, to the “reality” TV of the day, to the “unscripted” television it has evolved into, it mirrors many lives destroyed for our entertainment, with or without consent.

I don’t know that it is raising thought provoking questions so much as taking a presumptive stance. Both are presented under the control of the “bad guys,” so we don’t really have a well intentioned version of either position. I think the larger point is that those with the ability to exploit others will do so, especially if there is profit to be had. Genetics and reality TV are just the chosen weapons of the villains in this story.

Well, its why I picked it up in the first place. :wink: Not really distinctive versus his other works, save for maybe less vehicles than some stories. I think his style works very well in black and white, and black and white plays well into the punk vibe he’s going for. I think the story would still work with a different artist, but its hard to picture what that would look like.

3 Likes

Great answers!

2 Likes