Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s forty-ninth Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week will be the conclusion of a three-week focus on…
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+
Number of Issues: 3 (Please only read “Super Babylon” and Chapters 1 and 2 of “Secret Tribunal”)
Synopsis from dcuniverseinfinite.com: A New York Times Bestseller! In the spirit of JUDGE DREDD and the current hit series THE BOYS, MARSHAL LAW is a violent, satirical series about a futuristic law official charged with policing super-heroes gone rogue by any means necessary, all whilefighting his own self-hatred for being the thing he hates most: a super-hero. Featuring art by Kevin O’Neill, illustrator of THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN, the centerpiece of this massive volume is the original six-part tale in which Marshal Law hunts down the Sleepman, a serial killer who is somehow connected to the popular hero known as The Public Spirit.
Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:
- Gore is very prominent in the series. What roles do blood and death play in each issue? What do they represent? Explain.
- Marshal Law’s catchphrase (“I’m a hero hunter. I hunt heroes. Haven’t found any yet.”) is used in every issue. What are your thoughts on it? Does it have a deeper meaning, or is Marshal Law just bluntly stating observations? Explain.
- Similarities could be drawn between Marshal Law and a plethora of other DC characters. In your opinion, to which DC character is Marshal Law most similar? Explain.
- Do you see Marshal Law more as a hero, villain, or anti-hero? Explain.
- Of this week, which was your favorite: “Super Babylon” or “Secret Tribunal?” What was your favorite series in this whole three-week focus? Explain.
Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics?
Do you like pineapple on pizza?If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!