Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s forty-eighth Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week will be the second of a three-week focus on…
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+
Number of Issues: 3 (Please only read “Marshal Law Takes Manhattan,” “Kingdom of the Blind,” and “The Hateful Dead”)
Synopsis from dcuniverseinfinite.com: A New York Times Bestseller! In the spirit of JUDGE DREDD and the current hit series THE BOYS, MARSHAL LAW is a violent, satirical series about a futuristic law official charged with policing super-heroes gone rogue by any means necessary, all whilefighting his own self-hatred for being the thing he hates most: a super-hero. Featuring art by Kevin O’Neill, illustrator of THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN, the centerpiece of this massive volume is the original six-part tale in which Marshal Law hunts down the Sleepman, a serial killer who is somehow connected to the popular hero known as The Public Spirit.
Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:
- Of the asylum inmates in “Marshal Law Takes Manhattan,” which was your favorite? Why?
- “Kingdom of the Blind” begins with newspapers and articles about Public Spirit. What do you think is the significance of the newspapers? How about Public Spirit? Explain.
- Marshal Law is known for its satirical take on the superhero genre. In “The Hateful Dead,” what specific elements or characters do you find most satirical, and how effective do you think this satire is in conveying the intended message? Explain.
- Last week, we read the original Marshal Law miniseries. How do you think these three one-shots continue the lore? Do you feel the one-shots did the miniseries justice? Which did you prefer? Explain.
- Of the three, which was your favorite issue? Why?
Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics?
Do you like pineapple on pizza?If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!