Obscurity of DC Presents: Ultra-bscure Book Club, Week 45 (October 29-November 4) — THE FOUNTAIN!

Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s forty-fifth Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

THE FOUNTAIN!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+

Number of Books: 1

Synopsis from dcuniverseinfinite.com: A companion to the forthcoming movie by the director of Pi traces a man’s multiple-lifetime struggle to save a woman he loves and describes the concepts and visuals of the film as discussed by creators Ari Handel and Darren Aronofsky, in a volume complemented by production stills and original art.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. The story in “The Fountain” often explores themes of life, death, and immortality. How were these themes depicted in the comic, and do you think they were effectively conveyed? Explain.
  2. The narrative structure in “The Fountain” can be considered non-linear. How did this affect your reading experience, and what do you think the creators were trying to achieve with this structure?
  3. The main characters, Tomas and Isabel, have a complex relationship. How did their interactions and character development impact your perception of the story?
  4. “The Fountain” is known for its abstract and metaphysical elements. What are some moments or scenes that stood out to you as particularly abstract or surreal, and how did they contribute to the narrative?
  5. How does the narrative of “The Fountain” weave together the three distinct storylines involving Tomas, Izzi, and the astronaut? Do you find the transitions between these storylines effective in conveying the overall message of the comic?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

5 Likes

It’s super interesting! I would say that beyond the belief of a comforting notion like god or a afterlife I think death is a scary notion, especially one that you know is coming. Our main character Tomas Creo is a man with a mission to stop his wife Isabel illness and consider her possible death like all death as a disease that he can conquer. His attempts are closer than one might expect with his research as a scientist close to cure her tumor with a breakthrough. But as sickness worsens, so does her and everyone else acceptance in her inevitable death. Everyone expect Tomas who commitment to stopping her death is causing friction and distance with his friends and even Izzi. It is understandable why Creo is like this though as he beliefs his strengths could save her from dying. Death denial is a prominent theme in this story, and it’s his relationship with that thought that he could be a soldier and conquer it all for her is a all to real emotion.

It’s not a book you could skim though let’s just say that. :smile:
I think if you read until the middle, and understand he is experiencing a dream-like world in another, separate from his dire real world. Then you would probably go back to the beginning, knowing what the story is about, and use it to get a better compressive reading experience.

It’s like understanding that both are likely two young people who fell in love, knowing one is not going to make. It’s a heartbreaking relationship because it’s hard to imagine someone willing to let go of another too soon. On page 88 we see Isabel and Tomas hold each other and in that instance when she asks "is anything is alright? He doesn’t respond. He refuses to console that knowing or reassure her because in his mind nothing is right about it. Spoiler talk coming. Only after coming in terms with her death does he get the second chance to say that again. Only this time with peace in her eventual death with “everything is alright.”

The surreal aspect is about the knowledge of this being based in a story. I personally dislike abstract art that doesn’t have a point expect to be weird. Nothing is weird here. We get references to the tree of life from the Bible and even space art expressionism.

The three aesthetics going on here are melancholic graphic novel with muted colors.

Water colored painting with brighten colors.

And as I said earlier, space art that is slightly distorted and more abstract with colors of black and yellow.

As Tomas began losing control over his current world, he retreat into the fantasy of the Conquistador to find the tree of life (cure to Isabel illness) to save his queen. (Isabel).
However the other story, the astronaut. Is him facing the direct opposite. It’s unfamiliar and unfriendly environment. The only one who can help him is a figure who looks like Isabel, who he refuses to join. Seeking a way to continue with his mission, regarding of it’s futility.
It’s a big metaphor in his attempt to escape into his story but unable to as the fear of his wife’s death frighten him.

2 Likes

I enjoy this story immensely probably more than I should. I wish I could read more like it.

2 Likes

Great answers!

2 Likes

I’m so glad to see how much you liked the book! If you want, I could try to find some series similar to it for you

2 Likes

DC related might be difficult but I’ll tell you that this story reminds me of this movie called Stay. I won’t spoil it for you, but it follows a doctor trying to help a suicidal man whose life is full of contradictions and it follows a similar theme like The Fountain.
Movie’s free on YouTube if you’re interested.

2 Likes

That looks fantastic! I’ll have to check it out! Thanks for the rec, @Samsonkillingtime!

1 Like