Obscurity of DC Presents: Ultra-bscure Book Club, Week 28 (June 25-July 1) --- DC MEETS LOONEY TOONS!

Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s twenty-eighth Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

DC MEETS LOONEY TOONS!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Books: 1

Description from dcuniverseinfinite.com: DC’s iconic superheroes meet the wacky characters of Looney Tunes in some of the most surprising stories in comics in DC MEETS LOONEY TUNES! When Elmer Fudd sets his sights on Bruce Wayne, it’s a “wabbit hunt” you’d never imagine! Prospector Yosemite Sam strikes it rich, but can circus performer Foghorn Leghorn and bounty hunter Jonah Hex keep him alive long enough to enjoy it? Plus, Wonder Woman enlists the help of the Tasmanian Devil to save the Amazons; Lobo gets caught in the war between a mutated Road Runner and a wily super-genius of a coyote; and the last survivors of Mars fight over the fate of planet Earth! Finally, when the Legion of Super-Heroes needs help, a wrong turn at Albuquerque means the future’s survival depends on…“Super” Bugs Bunny!

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. How did the merging of the distinct tones and styles of DC Comics and Looney Tunes create unique storytelling opportunities in the crossover series?
  2. Did the crossovers successfully capture the essence of both DC Comics and Looney Tunes? How did they balance the action and humor of the respective universes?
  3. Crossovers can sometimes introduce new readers to characters they might not be familiar with. Did the DC Comics/Looney Tunes crossover series spark your interest in any particular DC or Looney Tunes character that you weren’t previously familiar with?
  4. The crossover series often include Easter eggs, references, and callbacks to classic DC Comics and Looney Tunes stories. Can you think of any Easter eggs or references in the crossovers that delighted you as a fan of either or both properties?
  5. What was your favorite team-up? Why?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

5 Likes

I remember reading these a while back!

Here’s my ranking:

1. Lobo/Road Runner
  2. Lex Luthor/Porky Pig
  3. Batman/Elmer Fudd
  4. Martian Manhunter/ Marvin the Martian
  5. Catwoman/Tweety and Sylvester
  6. Wonder Woman/Tasmanian Devil
  7. The Joker/Daffy Duck
  8. Legion of Superheroes/Bugs Bunny
  9. Jonah Hex/Yosemite Sam
  10. Harley Quinn/Gossamer
3 Likes

I didn’t read all of these and I think some of the pairings were forced.

I can understand why, for example, they put Jonah Hex with Yosemite Sam, but some of the other possible head scratchers less so, and even Jonah is a bit of reach other than ‘cowboy/cowboy’ - he self-describes as “mean,” “tough” and “rough” so he could easily have been paired with a more criminal character, he is a bad guy, versus Jonah, who is not, even if Jonah is often characterized as a tough guy who gives off mean vibes.

I’ve always had an interest in the Looney Tunes already and made a point when I had my three month sub to HBO Max to watch the new animated series (which I found disappointing when compared to the greatness of the classic 50s/60s, etc. shorts) in full. So I was by and large familiar with all these characters, although less so with the lesser explored ones, like Tas and Gossamer, who are sadly very one note in my knowledge.

Since I didn’t read them all, I’m not going to say any were a favorite, but all the ones I read were entertaining enough and I think it was a decent enough idea. I might have done it with younger DC heroes.

3 Likes

I really enjoy reading those, Especially Deathstroke and Yogi Bear! :grinning:

3 Likes