Obscurity of DC Presents: Ultra-bscure Book Club, Week 25 (June 4-June 10) --- TELOS!

Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s twenty-fifth Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

TELOS!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Books: 1

Description from dcuniverseinfinite.com: FIRST CAME CONVERGENCE. NOW COMES VENGEANCE. His very name means “purpose.” And for the being called Telos, only one purpose remains: revenge. Telos has sworn to slay Brainiac, the nearly omnipotent intellect who stole him away from his home and family, transforming him into a man-machine with the power to destroy entire universes. He still remembers his former existence, the time when he was the noble warrior known as Arak, Son of Thunder. And if he can’t bring back the life-and the people-he loved, he will end the life of the monster responsible. Exploding from the pages of the DC mega-event CONVERGENCE comes the shocking origin and stunning next chapter in the life of its most powerful villain!

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Some readers argue that Telos represents a missed opportunity for deeper exploration of philosophical or existential themes in DC Comics. Do you think Telos has the potential to embody deeper themes, or do you see him primarily as a plot device?
  2. Telos is often associated with epic-scale events and universe-altering storylines. Do you think this grandiose portrayal enhances his character and impact, or do you find it overwhelming and detached from more grounded storytelling?
  3. Telos’ powers and abilities make him a formidable opponent, but some fans argue that his power level is inconsistent or poorly defined. What are your thoughts on the consistency and coherence of Telos’ power set?
  4. Telos has clashed with several iconic characters in DC Comics. In your opinion, which character had the most compelling interaction or dynamic with Telos, and why?
  5. Do you think Telos is a hero, anti-hero, or villain? Why?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

5 Likes

Oh man, this is a funny character/series to look at, because in some of the online/reddit spots I read/steal memes from, for a while he was an ongoing gag in terms of “a character no one really liked but pretended to be obsessive over.” He was Morbius before he ever morbed his way into a morbillion dollars.

I honestly don’t remember if I ever read this series, but it should be interesting to see how I feel about it after.

3 Likes

I enjoyed it. Not my favorite, but definitely not bad IMO

2 Likes

I heard not-so-great things about Telos but honestly, he’s not that bad. He’s certainly more interesting than Pandora from Justice League. Man, I did not like her.

I always thought of him as misunderstood. DC’S own version of Silver Surfer. Of course, I think the problem with Telos is much like being an outsider to this whole universe who sees him as a villain. He’s fulfilling a promise and if that means working with a bad guy he actually wants to kill, he’s going to do the right thing for his family.

I don’t know if it’s because of my appeal or if I am reading it digitally but this style of cosmic epicness is hurting my eyes.

Parallax. I enjoy this version of Hal Jordon more than I should but he makes a great contrast to Telos who both want to bring back their old life as it was but both have different ideas on how.

2 Likes