Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s twenty-second Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+
Number of Issues: 7
Description from dc.com: After a sex-tape scandal, former Hollywood child star turned Z-lister Chondra Jackson returns to her hometown of Effigy Mound, IL, to find a seemingly impossible crime–a fresh corpse in an ancient Indian burial site. Even weirder, the murder resembles a scene from an episode of her old TV show, Star Cop, a show about a kid detective. As Chondra starts to investigate, she stumbles upon a bizarre cult that worships celebrities as eternal effigies. And these cult members aren’t just worshiping–they’re also ritually sacrificing anyone who defies their veneration of the beautiful and famous.
Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:
- What do you think Chondra meant when she said “I’m not just a TV cop. I’m like a real cop!”?
- Do you think Chondra’s mom cares about Chondra at all? Do you think Chondra feels the same way? Explain.
- What do you think was the significance of the first page of issue 2? What do you think the shackles represented? Do you think the chat hint towards racism in Hollywood symbolized anything else? Explain.
- In what ways do you think passion and faith affected the story?
- Almost every issue had at least one page in which Chondra gives a bit of an intermission. They were really just her explaining herself. Did you like this? Why or why not?
Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics?
Do you like pineapple on pizza?If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!