Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s eleventh Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…
Galaxy: The Prettiest Star
AGE SUGGESTION: 15+
Number of Books: 1
VERY long description from dc.com: It takes strength to live as your true self, and one alien princess disguised as a human boy is about to test her power. A vibrant story about gender identity, romance, and shining as bright as the stars. Taylor Barzelay has the perfect life. Good looks, good grades, a starting position on the basketball team, a loving family, even an adorable corgi. Every day in Taylor’s life is perfect. And every day is torture. Taylor is actually the Galaxy Crowned, an alien princess from the planet Cyandii, and one of the few survivors of an intergalactic war. For six long, painful years, Taylor has accepted her duty to remain in hiding as a boy on Earth. That all changes when Taylor meets Metropolis girl Katherine “call me Kat” Silverberg, whose confidence is electrifying. Suddenly, Taylor no longer wants to hide, even if exposing her true identity could attract her greatest enemies. From the charming and brilliant mind behind the popular podcast The Voice of Free Planet X, Jadzia Axelrod, and with stunningly colorful artwork by Jess Taylor comes the story of a girl in hiding who must face her fears to see herself as others see her: the prettiest star.
Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:
- Taylor is one of the first transgender characters to ever be made by DC. How do you think Taylor will inspire the next generations of DC heroes?
- In my opinion, one of the best parts of this comic is seeing Taylor’s internal thoughts and desires. Did you enjoy Taylor’s internal thoughts too? What impact do you think it made in the story? Explain.
- The art is a very unique style that I’ve only seen once before. Why do you think Jess Taylor (the artist) decided to use this style of art for her story? Do you think it represents something? Explain.
- Do you condone or condemn Phil’s prohibition of Taylor being herself? Why?
- Do you like Taelyr’s relationship with Kat? Why or why not?
Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics?
Do you like pineapple on pizza?If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!