Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 98 (February 18-February 24) — NIMROD THE HUNTER!

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 98 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week will be a mini, and we’ll be focusing on…

NIMROD THE HUNTER!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 3

Description from comicvine.gamespot.com: Dean Hunter was a former photographer who was framed for murder by a villain named Chancer. Hunter broke out of prison and stole a military suit and used it to track down Chancer in Gotham city.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Why do you think Dean Hunter stole his suit? Why not go after Chancer without it?
  2. Why do you think Nimrod continues to blame himself for Chancer’s crimes?
  3. In the last issue, we see Nimrod being arrested again. What are your opinions on this controversial ending?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

5 Likes

My homie @Jurisdiction keepin’ it real, cuz he’s Too Legit To Quit.

giphy

fqef
:sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks @bigblock66! I’m glad you’re enjoying the club :smile:

5 Likes

There are actually two different characters that go by “Nimrod the Hunter.” (I always thought of Dean Hunter as just “Nimrod” – totally forgot about his posturing to Batman with “he belongs to Nimrod the Hunter” until rereading for Book Club…)

Nimrod the Hunter = Maxim Zarov, post-Flashpoint Grant Morrison character hunting Superman as part of the Anti-Superman Army.
Nimrod (the Hunter) = Dean Hunter, a pre-Zero Hour Alan Grant character hunting Chancer as part of a hastily conceived “plan” to clear his name.

I bring this up only because while this Book Cluuuub is clearly about Dean, I think a future one about Maxim would also be awesome!

He knew he needed an edge on Chancer’s luck. Dean has no powers or experience in crime. He knew where to find the suit and knew it would give him the ability to search and observe unseen, with the intention of capturing Chancer before he would have a chance to take any defensive action.

He knows that if he hadn’t gotten drunk and broken into Trans-Africa Publishing then Janine and the guard wouldn’t have been shot. If he hadn’t interrupted Batman in apprehending Chancer, then Chancer wouldn’t have gotten away, and, by extension, the kidnappers wouldn’t have had his luck with them. He got caught up in the hunt and he lost track of the goal of just needing to clear his name.

I’m not sure how its controversial? He knows he needs to go back, and is having a perfectly calm conversation with Batman about it and how the truth should come out and reverse his sentence now that he’s accomplished his goal…

2 Likes

Great answers!

@Samsonkillingtime and I were actually discussing this before I posted!

4 Likes

The overlapping character names or the idea of doing Maxim as a future Club read?

2 Likes

Both

2 Likes