Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 86 (November 26-December 2) --- MELONI THAWNE ALLEN!

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 86 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week will be a mini, and we’ll be focusing on…

MELONI THAWNE ALLEN!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 3

Description from comicvine.gamespot.com: Meloni Thawne is the wife of Don Allen, the son of Barry Allen. She is the mother of Bart Allen and Owen Mercer.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Why do you think Meloni traveled to that specific time? Why not earlier or later? Explain.
  2. Do you think it was smart of Meloni to travel to the past? Why or why not?
  3. Who do you think took better care of Bart: Max or Meloni? Explain.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

3 Likes

I voted for her. Yay!

2 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

2 Likes

i love meloni thawne
shes just sweet too bad we havent seen her in a bit

3 Likes

She’s a great character! Loved the plot twist when we found out she’s Owen Mercer’s mom too.

3 Likes

Woosh! That was quite the character!
I’ll be brief here because I have some of my own thoughts to share.

1. She traveled to this place her son was last placed. She didn’t exactly plan to meet him years later, she wanted her son, now.

2. No, but she’s the mom of impulse, it doesn’t seem like Meloni would plan things out. She obviously was aware of the dangers, but it was always her plan to bring back Bart.

3. Both… Meloni never had the chance to raise Bart, when they met it was a instant connection, but when she was forced to give him up again, it was super sad because it was out of her control.

She’s a good person and she loved Bart but she never knew how to be a mom. It’s hard to say what her parenting would have been like as compared Max, who was the parental figure Bart needed to teach to use his powers and be able to grow up. He had time with Bart, Meloni never did.

Obviously Bart was a wild child and there were difficulties in his and Max relationship, but they obviously cared for each other as well, even when they were afraid to admit it.

Bart needed Max to become who he is, but he also deserved his mom.

3 Likes

Reading this series for this discussion. I’m going to say what I enjoy about Bart Allen as a character here is that I’m loving the parts where his just a young kid and acts his immature age.

Bart reminds me of the 90s Superboy throughout but what makes me personally uncomfortable about Superboy is that they put this similarly young character in adult situations and I find that really gross. I like the Superboy series a lot and it gets better, so I’m not outright rejecting it, but I desperately wish I could go back in time and tell the writers of Superboy to be more mature and allow Superboy be a teenager for god sakes.

Sorry about that little rant. :sweat_smile:
I seriously enjoyed reading impulse and I also enjoyed learning about Meloni Thawne Allen.

The Flash family is not as bonkers as the other superhero families but knowing Owen Mercer is the half brother of Impulse and that his mom Meloni is from the future and is both a Allen and a Thawne is just madness. Lol

I’m forever going to be thinking now of this scene from Spaceballs because of it.

1 Like

well ur getting what you want nowadays cuz until recently they have been treating him like a kid since after he came back (bros like 18-25 in the age range he should have more mature stories now)
i suggest reading the current superman book and superboy man of tomorrow if you want good superboy stuff

also you should read barts other comic runs if you havent
he has other mantles in those but dont wanna spoil in case you dont know

2 Likes

You’re right of course. We technically have a forever teen Superboy and I’m guessing that’s sort of a good thing, right?

I’m strictly referring to his 90s series because I don’t really how to feel about his current place in comics. In a good timeline, he would be the uncle to a young Johnathan Kent teaching him how to be a hero.

It’s a topic around Superboy I love talking about, but I definitely would check out the other impulse stories you recommend because I’m genuinely interested to read more about him.

2 Likes

Amazing responses! Glad to hear you enjoyed her!

1 Like

Exactly lol! He’s such a freaking icon!!!

2 Likes

hes barely even a teen anymore and hes around the same age as jon right now
its insane how the current dc universe has disrespected him and given him less time to shine as of now
bendis killed the potential for jon to be mentored by kon and dc just let it happen
they brought conner back only to barely use him till recently and then disrespected him (and impulse as well which annoyed me alot) during dark crisis
that

and despite his age hes kinda been drawn way too young as well as other young justice members
superboy is like 19 if i had to pin something down but is within the 18-25 range
bart is 16-17
dunno about cassie but probably 19 as well since shes in college by bendis yj (i think)
tim is forever 17
slobo is forever forgotten about
and worse for others

young justice in general is way too disrespected by dc

negativity aside i really hope bart gets a new series

2 Likes

Agreed on both points!

2 Likes