Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 84 (November 12-November 18) --- FREEDOM BEAST!

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 84 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week will be a mini, and we’ll be focusing on…

FREEDOM BEAST!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 15+

Number of Issues: 1

Description from dc.fandom.com: Freedom Beast is a South African superhero with a range of abilities including mind control and merging parts of animals together to create unique entities. He was given these powers by B’wana Beast, and became B’wana Beast’s successor. He has been a member of the Global Guardians and the Justice Foundation.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Superpowers aside, what similarities do you see between B’wana Beast and Freedom Beast? What are the differences? Explain.
  2. Why do you think Dominic was chosen as B’wana/Freedom Beast?
  3. What do you think Dominic meant when he said that “Today’s politics is tomorrow’s mythology?” Do you agree with him? Explain.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

4 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

He’s got a similar aesthetic to him. With the helmet and complete disagard for upper clothing. Truth is freedom beast is different from B’wana beast. He is a South African who grew up witnessing and experiencing racially motivated violence against South Africans to want to stand up against apartheid in his country. He clash with the apolitical agenda of B’wana beast and wants to use his powers to be a resistance fighter for oppressed Africans.

It’s never explicit states but from the story, we could infer he was chosen because while B’wana Beast has a noble heart, we are also given hints that perhaps because he doesn’t believe animals have sentimentality or how freedom beast doesn’t like the idea of controlling animals. I think Freedom Beast was chosen because he can bring change to the mantle.

I’m not sure. Perhaps he was speaking about himself becoming something that is a legend. He’s today mythology, so he’s that political change he’s been searching for. What are you’re thoughts about that?

3 Likes

I love your responses! I agree with you about Dominic saying he’s becoming legend, but I think he’s more saying that he’s becoming something bigger than himself. It’s interesting to think about IMO.

2 Likes