Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 55 (March 26-April 1) --- JET!

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 55 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

JET!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 4

Description from dcuniverseinfinite.com: Backlash’s daughter explores her reasons for adopting a new secret identity in a very different miniseries. It’s a day unlike any other for 20-year-old Jodi Slayton, who must figure out why she has become the leather-wearing vigilante known as Jet.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Considering Jet is the main character of the series, why do you think the series started with a fight between Nanitemare and Bobby Stubbs that excluded Jet?
  2. Jet and Bobby both state that they shouldn’t work together in the field or otherwise. What do you think about their dynamic and the risk of it? Explain.
  3. Do you like the narrator being so distant from the story? Why or why not?
  4. Who do you like Jodi with better: Stan Mooney or Bobby Stubbs? Why?
  5. Of all the villains in the series, which did you like best? Which do you think gave Jet the most trouble? Explain.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

3 Likes

This should be interesting – partly because of the character, and also because I think this is the early work of artist Dustin Nguyen, who I know him most from his work with Paul Dini on Detective/Streets of Gotham, as well as the Lil’ Gotham digital series. Here’s some of the work he’s done in recent years, it should be fun to see how he’s progressed as an artist. :smiley:

3 Likes

Finished reading it, and in terms of the quality…the best word I can think of is…adequate? Like, there’s nothing to really hate about this, but there isn’t a lot to really love either. It kind of feels like we were supposed to already know who this character was before the series started, and I don’t think it ever really did anything to show a reader why they should read about her exploits more than any other character in her universe.

Anyway, the questions:

1. Considering Jet is the main character of the series, why do you think the series started with a fight between Nanitemare and Bobby Stubbs that excluded Jet?

That is a good question. I guess it’s because he’s probably the closest thing the book has to a co-star or lead supporting character, but he doesn’t have much personality or hook to him other than “gruff cop guy.”

1. Jet and Bobby both state that they shouldn’t work together in the field or otherwise. What do you think about their dynamic and the risk of it? Explain.

I think it was trying to do a mix of Batman and Gordon and Batman and Catwoman, as cursed as that combo sounds. They’re technically on the opposite ends of the law, but they work together well and I guess there’s some sort of chemistry there, but working together could potentially destroy one of the other’s careers.

1. Do you like the narrator being so distant from the story? Why or why not?

It definitely doesn’t help with the disconnect I feel about the book. All it really did was basically tell the reader information that either wasn’t really necessary, or should have been shown in story.

1. Who do you like Jodi with better: Stan Mooney or Bobby Stubbs? Why?

Honestly, neither of them sound like good catches. Stan basically just forgets Jodi the second that Jet shows up, and that crap might have been “cute” in the silver age, but now that just sucks. As for Bobby…how old is this guy? Because if he’s like a young recruit to this law enforcement organization, then I guess it works, but if this is an older, experienced dude in his 30s or above basically hitting on a college student… :face_vomiting:

1. Of all the villains in the series, which did you like best? Which do you think gave Jet the most trouble? Explain.

I feel like I’ve been overly negative on this one, but I will say that some of the wacky villains were definitely a highlight. I liked Rhyme and Reason for their sort of team-up, and the channel changer one had a fun hook with summoning up all the dinosaurs and neanderthals and such. The last villain was kind of lame in that his whole motivation was just “I don’t have a motivation, I just cause chaos because it’s kewl!” It was kind of funny to see how Jet basically beat him using a classic Simpsons technique:

2 Likes