Obscurity of DC Club -- Noonan's Bar

@ObscurityofDCClub just a reminder to vote if you’ve read the comics for Slipstream, and want to have a say in its ranking

5 Likes

Hello, I just joined the Obscurity of DC club and didn’t see the Kamandi poll until now. I would have voted no he is not obscure but can understand why some think he is.

5 Likes

Welcome to the club @idle453.87595
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Lori Manning or Xane Swift?

Likewise. I don’t know that there’s a specific criteria for obscure, but I’d think over 250 appearances over a fifty year history with many different writers, appearances in flagship titles, and his own title within the last five years certainly doesn’t count as obscure.

Xane Swift, on the other hand; four appearances, all under one creative team on one title, eleven years ago… I think that qualifies. Lori Manning; 40+ issues, multiple titles but under the same story group, different creative teams, but all 20-30 years ago… she’s a bit more gray area.

Hitman, with a 61 issue self titled series (albeit 30 years old) and over 100 appearances in across multiple titles, including JLA, though mostly one creative team, would likewise be pretty much on the popular side of the gray area for me.

But I’m all for following any character that anyone thinks is obscure. If it helps me, or anyone else, discover more about a character they didn’t know much about, then game on! After all, characters like Chin Lung and Mr. Billings are two of the most “well known but unknown” characters in the DC Universe, but only have 4 and 3 appearances, respectively, and as such wouldn’t make a very good reading binge.

These “prologue” stories were part of the post-Convergence initiative “DCYou” (i.e. whatever your taste, there’s a book for everyone…) They were tacked on to the tail end of each Convergence two-shot in print to promote the next months’ new title launches, but were separated out digitally and as such are not available on DCUI. They were published as DC Sneak Peek previews directly on DC’s web site. If anyone else wants to read it as part of their Section Eight binge: DC Sneak Peek: All Star Section Eight (2015) | DC

If you want to be completionist not just on backstory, but for post-Flashpoint references to Noonan’s, Section Eight, and Hitman, be sure to include Batman and Robin Two-Face #27. This is half way through an arc that starts with #24 if you want to know what’s going on…

5 Likes

this is the version of Slipstream we focused on

4 Likes

the thing with Hitman though, is that nobody remembers him much. If you walk up to someone and say “Remember Tommy Monaghan?” most people will say no.

That’s kinda my criteria for this club. If the character is not remembered, or not known, they’re obscure imo

3 Likes

Sure thing. I was just sort of comparing to Kamandi, who you asked about, but I missed the survey. He seems way too popular to consider obscure. But how many people need to “not remember” or “not know” a character to call them obscure? We can roll with “any” and it’s good, right? (My five year old nephew doesn’t know who Batman is, but he’s not on DCUI.)

4 Likes

cough

BURIED!!!

3 Likes

Sorry I’m joining in late and asking dumb questions!

These are rankings of the stories, not necessarily the character(s), right?

5 Likes

right. im saying slipstream though because, since there’s no individual comic series for him, he’s in someone else’s book, that could feature other characters we’ll be using

4 Likes

don’t worry about it!

4 Likes

Sorry, I messed this up. It is by characters, not by story

3 Likes

buried again

3 Likes
Where should Manhattan Guardian go on the list?
  • 1 (Top)
  • 5 (Bottom)

0 voters

4 Likes

@ObscurityofDCClub just a reminder to vote if you’ve read the comics for Manhattan Guardian, and want to have a say in its ranking

5 Likes

Say, is anyone tending bar right now, or is it closed until afternoon hours?

Just wanted to see if I could yoink (Yara Flor-style) a Dr. Pepper on the rocks is all…

3 Likes

it’s always open!

2 Likes

@ObscurityofDCClub please vote on the following poll

Should I keep tagging you all when a new thread is posted? (Votes are anonymous, and no offense will be taken)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

5 Likes

Otherwise, I will probably miss it.

4 Likes

As The Riddler said in 1995, “Su-weet!”

walks up to the bar and kindly asks for a Dr. Pepper on the rocks

Its a good idea to do so, so as to keep your members in the loop with the latest goings-on of the club.

If folks don’t like it, that’s fine, as they can simply ignore the post and go about their day. :slight_smile:

4 Likes