NYCC 2019: What's Coming for DC Universe

DC Universe doesn’t exist outside of the USA so that isn’t even in the ballpark of a fair comparison. Outside of the USA you can only watch those shows on Netflix. Here in the USA however where DC Universe exists you are suppose to subscribe to DC Universe to get the shows. Now you don’t have to. Stargirl will be on CW

1 Like

Hi, sorry to interrupt, but I think I lost the thread: what are we debating?

1 Like

You do realize that without external sources, like Netflix for Titans, HBOMAX for Doom Patrol. CW for Stargirl. These original shows wouldn’t even be possible, DCU is not a production company nor at a million subscribers at $100 a year, that exactly enough to pay for one season of swamp thing and maybe all of YJ season 3. No additional content new or old, no comics, no servers, no mods & no community.

We do know that the first season of Stargirl was shot for DCU and CW picked up the option and from a very reputable source who has seen an episode or two of Stargirl it’s run time on DCU is longer than what the CW will get because they have to put in commercials. Season 2 of Stargirl, if there is a season 2 may or may not be on DCU. Who knows they could produce it the same way, and maybe it stays on DCU and a more edited version goes to CW.

DCU&WB announced this months ago.

What’s wrong with Stargirl getting a potentially much larger viewership and more revenue to possibly get a second season.

The same deal CW has with Stargirl is the same deal HBOMAX has for season 2 of Doom Patrol and their wouldn’t be a second season of Doom Patrol without that HBOMAX deal.

Why all the angst about this? I’m am so not understanding why.

4 Likes

Ohhhh. The same ol’ stuff. Got it!

1 Like

Yep! It’s one of those types of conversations.

1 Like

OKAY HOLD UP!!! @DeSade-acolyte, @DanTheManOne1, @robbywoo1.69881, IS STARGIRL TO BE A CW SHOW??? I am terrified by this prospect. I love the Flash and Arrow, but I just can’t keep up with tv, and I can’t stand adds. Please, please, please tell me we get it here.

2 Likes

I’m not any of those names, but Stargirl will be on both DC Universe and the CW. On here, it will be commercial free and there’s a possibility that we’ll have additional minutes, since CW has to edit for commercials.

4 Likes

Yes. Thank you. I have been so confused lately. Glad to know what is happening. Thank you, RalphSix.
PS: Haven’t seen you in awhile. Is that because we haven’t crossed paths, or have you been offline?

2 Likes

I’ve been here and there, I think sometimes I go into lurker mode without meaning to. But I’m around!

2 Likes

Same.

2 Likes

Behemoth? I haven’t gone 10 hrs without seeing your lovely icon!! Whaddya mean, ‘same’?

There are times when I just go throughout the day liking stuff and don’t really say anything.

1 Like

Huh. Well, I don’t think I’ve gone more than 10 hrs without seeing you. That may or may not include notifications of likes.

1 Like

If DC Universe is sharing content with HBO Max, does that mean there’s any chance that Watchmen will make it to DC Universe?

Yeah except no. These show were created for DC Universe long before any Netflix deal, HBO max( not available yet) or CW deal were in place. The production company WB along with Berlanti Productions created most of the shows on here. So they existed before such deals were in place. I completely understand the reason by Netflix for foreign markets and CW makes sense too. The “Angst” comes from the fact that the things that are coming to DCU are going everywhere else, even free tv. This month we’re getting that DC All stars game show. We’re paying to watch a bunch of people play DC D&D. While the real reason we pay is going elsewhere. They could have made another animated show or shorts or had in depth coverage of that C2CE comic con. Sam Witwer is a great actor but he’s tapped to play DC&D. I’d be cool if DCU started adding commercials for extra revenue if it meant more content. There’s a huge difference between what’s coming and what’s going is all I’m saying

3 Likes

@mediaman73 welcome to the community. There is a possibility watchmen will come here. Anything can happen since they won’t be licensing out the content anymore. We just have to wait and see.

1 Like

I have had that thought too. Maybe the deal they got to share content (or at least that one content, not sure of the others) on HBO MAX could possibly go both ways. Maybe putting Watchman on DCU since the series seems to be over anyway. Or maybe they will put Batwoman on here too, have not said that wouldn’t potentially happen. Maybe some of the non DCEU older DC movies on there could be added to the rotation (some have been on here before, Superman I is still on here for the moment), maybe a DCEU movie for a short time with a bumber saying more DC movies on HBO MAX to promote it.

None of that kind of thing seems impossible. BUT I would personally not get my hopes up. Could very well be the deal they have will go one way. Would say at least a 50/50 chance if not higher DCU won’t benefit from it. But I also wouldn’t rule it out. If they run them both at the same time, which they have said they will do, they would want subscribers on both and while HBO MAX will clearly be the priority, doesn’t necessarily mean DCU will be ignored.

2 Likes

I don’t know about “we.” I’m paying for the comic books, everything else is just cake. Including the low budget RPG show, which was a lot of fun.

We also have HQ Season 2 and Bizarro TV on the horizon.

6 Likes

And season 2 of Doom Patrol, and Season 1 of Stargirl, and Season 3 of Titans, and Season 4 of Young Justice.

I mean DC Universe All Star Games is 5 weeks to fil a gap and was clearly done on a shoestring budget. Not like they could have spent the money making their own Green Lantern.

5 Likes

Well actually, Titans was a two season deal with Netflix before the first season even started. Yes, DC seed 100s of millions into original content, knowing that if a show did not get picked up by another money source, they would do 1 season of the stuff they announced and took the risk. They list a ton of money on Swamp Thing because it only got picked up for the UK well after the season has ended and it was the only live action show not produced by Berlanti

Bertlanti basically owns the DC CW space. Frankly I’m not surprised that (A) it got picked up by CW (being TV14 rated) and (B) Because of this I think their hope was always to testbed Stargirl on DCU hoping it would live to CW for mire seasons and larger production budgets. CW obviously liked the show so much that they figured they could use it for their late spring - early fall content. Doom Patrol was looking like a failed show, much like Swamp Thing until the HBOMAX deal was put in place. Literally, the Doom Patrol SDCC panel, people involved in the show and that it had been picked up for a second season found out either the night before or right before the panel.

This RPG show is just filler between HQ front half and back half. Filler shows happen in networks and even streaming services. So I’d this really a total surprise after a year and a half of almost non-stop new and original content that the service, which does not make enough revenue to produce shows like Titans, Doom Patrol, ST & Stargirl. How long do you expect WB/DC to spends 10s to 100’s of millions of dollars on experiments?

If the biggest grip about DCU programming is 5 weeks of filler over an 70 week span, IMO I’m surprised there hasn’t been more filler before this.

5 Likes