NYCC 2019: What's Coming for DC Universe

Best username. Big shout out from da suit.

Agreed! The Community is the real gem here.

3 Likes

For the record:

DC Universe: First year of streaming programming:
Titans (11 episodes for S1, plus a few for S2, depending on when you start counting)
Young Justice (26 episodes)
Doom Patrol (15 episodes)
Swamp Thing (10 episodes)
And hundreds of episodes of DC Daily

Marvel on Disney+ - first year of programming:
Falcon & Winter Soldier (6 episodes)

I know itā€™s frustrating when announcements are slow in coming. But so much about this industry is in constant flux, itā€™s hard to nail down dates for much of anything. Look at HBOā€™s Westworld Season 3, which was delayed because of wildfires. Or would you rather be disappointed when a show is pushed back, like the Disney+ She-Hulk, Moon Knight and Ms Marvel shows (originally dated for 2020) or cancelled, like Howard the Duck or Tigra/Dazzler?

Itā€™s not like we donā€™t know ANYthing. I mean, right now, we know that in 2020 weā€™re getting:
-The rest of Harleyā€™s first 13 (the next few weeks)
-Harleyā€™s back 13 (nebulous date)
-Stargirl (Announced for ā€˜Springā€™)
-Doom Patrol Season 2 (no date)
-Titans Season 3 (No date)
-DCYou (no date)
-Bizarro World (no date)

Again, if people donā€™t feel DCU is worth it, thatā€™s their prerogative. But as someone who was given Disney+ as a present for Christmas, I find that thereā€™s just not a lot going on over there. I end up here 95% of the time - and thatā€™s because thereā€™s so much more to DCU than streaming. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Well said Super Squirrel. Letā€™s deal in facts

5 Likes

And the movie that rotated out will come back.

AT&T has said that HBO Max strategy requires that Warner Brother assets will no longer be on completing streaming services to the degree possible by existing contracts.

It would be then possible for DC Universe to have all these videos rotated back in.

They might be on HBO MAX too but it would cost them little to let us have them.

They want DC Universe to survive and having these titles going exclusively to HBO MAX would be very detrimental to this service.

What happens with DC live action is another issue. It will be a big draw for them to be HBO Max exclusives

I hope they allow one of two titles to rotate in here for a limited period of time to be replaced by another title as the former titles rotated out. It would be good for our service and good publicity for HBO Max at little cost to them.

But who can say.

4 Likes

@Super-Squirrel and @TurokSonOfStone1950 Well said!

1 Like

Indeed. (emphasis mine)

Again well said.

2 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more. This service is way better than Disney+

2 Likes

I must say I was intrigued with the Mandalorian, but not enough to pay for a subscription for one thing. I only have a finite amount of money to spend on entertainment. Iā€™ve decided that DC/WB(/CW) was my ultimate choice, they were there when I first learned to read and for my first Saturday Morning Cartoons.
Before-Super-Friends

2 Likes

Honestly, I like the lineup of shows that are coming and donā€™t really have a huge issue with HBO Max doing their own shows, but I do wish there was a schedule so we knew when to expect the DCU ones. I loved the build up and anticipation that we all had for the first year of shows even though they ended up making some schedule changes.

Itā€™s weird that Harley is almost done and we donā€™t know what is coming next.

1 Like

I agree, but their scheduling is very difficult. People trying to cut their cable has led to a plethora of streaming services, which leads to a lot of competition for your buck.

At least the HBO Max announcement gives me time to shuffle my streaming services around to see who Iā€™m going to stick with and who Iā€™m going to drop. Hint - if they donā€™t have DC characters . . . youā€™re on the chopping block.

2 Likes

Since The Mandalorian season one ended and I rewatched all the Star Wars in preparation for Rise of Skywalker, Iā€™ve barely used our Disney+ subscription. However, our grandchildren watch movies on there regularly, so itā€™s definitely useful and appreciated for children (especially young children). There are some movies on there I havenā€™t seen that I have on my watchlist, so Iā€™ll get to them eventually.

Conversely, I watch DCU and visit this community and website every day and look forward to Fridays for new Harley Quinn episodes.

Could DCU add more new live action movies? Sure. This seems to be very important to a vocal subset of members. I think speaking up, constructive criticism, is healthy. Weā€™ll all find out what happens in May when HBO Max opens.

Iā€™d say that DCU is doing just fine from my perspective.

8 Likes

They shutting down mu? Why they just charge me for a years worth of service :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Itā€™s still there. Thereā€™s no news of it shutting down.

I knowā€¦ just pointing out how flase that statment was. I love both apps btw but this app is far superior and done in way less time. DCU fans should take a chil pill, i feel like we are super pandered to here but cry the most. I get there are issues and concerns but lets be patient and logical. No need to jump to conclusions. The youtube media dont know jack squat about whats really going on.

2 Likes

I subscribed for the original programming content. There seems to be nothing on the horizon, and Star Girl will be available elsewhere. They have cancelled the best show (Swamp Thing) and it looks like everything else is too distant. They have removed some of the movie content, like the 80ā€™s- 90ā€™s Batman and still havenā€™t added Smallville. I already own most of the other content in my DVD collection. I am likely to cancel after Harley Quinn is done and I will resubscribe if and when we get new quality programming

It was short sighted to not continue the constant flow of new serial material when there is so much competition. Between my regular cable TV, Disney Plus, Apple TV, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access and Netflix, I just canā€™t afford to keep paying a service that fails to provide constant new material.

I will say, until now, I have lived my subscription. But they need to keep up and pick up the pace.

Nothing on the horizon?
We have Stargirl coming up. Yes,
It will be on the CW, but we are getting it a day before unedited.
We have another season of Young Justice, Titans and Doom Patrol coming up. We also have more episodes of Harley Quinn coming out. Iā€™m not sure if the new episodes count as the other half of a season (a la Young Justice this year) or a separate season, but itā€™s new episodes. Oh, also that anthology Bizarro World thing.

Theyā€™ve been good keeping us informed of upcoming content.

4 Likes

@autumnsbane

If you discontinue

Please remember that the Community Forum is free to all whether subscriber or not

Watch the Watchtower for information on the great stuff coming.

Sounds like you have a huge streaming bill and not a huge comics fan.

Come May AT&T / Warner Brothers policy is not to allow other stteaming services to have video outside the company while still honoring existing contract. It was allowing other services to get these assets to increase revenue for the company. They will forego these revenues to bolster the exclusivity of the HBO Max brand

So when HBO Max comes on line in May, a few months from now, we will know what is on HBO Max and what is on DC Universe.

Management wants DC Universe to survive so I think at least we will get all the animation back and the older Batman.and Superman films.

HBO Max will have all the recent DCEU films plus Nolan.

I hope that HBO Max will share some of their exclusive content with us, maybe one or two of the above films for a short period of time, on a rotated basis.

It would help this service show good will to a fellow unit within the company as well as be a great advertisement for the full line of products at HBO max.

We will see around May

7 Likes

I think you should temper expectations. They cant just pump out shows, no new service does, its hard. If you want, stop the service and revisit in a few years to see where it is at.

3 Likes

For the record: new content was announced yesterday. It starts the Friday after Harley ends.

5 Likes