New vs older comics on DCU

For those of you who read comics on here, do you mostly read the “new” comics that come out on Tuesdays or do you read older ones from the archives. For myself approx 95 percent of what I read on here are the new comics on Tuesday and 5% is older stuff.

5 Likes

I mostly read the new comics except for when I’m reading storylines for the book clubs.

I mostly read the older stuff! I’m up to date on most current titles, so the “new stuff” are comics I read a year ago.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, they do add newer comics, don’t they? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I primarily read older comics- they’re harder to find copies of, and I like to be able to read a whole run without having to wait. Besides, a lot of the newer comics don’t appeal to me/don’t have characters I care about in. That said, there are a few new series I’m following.

6 Likes

Oh, older books all the way! There’s a few series here I’ve always wanted to read, but they were either not available as back issues at my local comic shops or they were never collected into trades. The fact that I can read them here and a lot of them are complete is amazing. I’ve got nothing against new comics, but a lot of them don’t grab me. I dunno, it feels like in the last three years I’ve been gravitating more towards older stuff than what’s currently being pumped out.

7 Likes

I’m reading the older comics. As a child of the Silver and Bronze Ages, I am getting a kick out seeing my favorite books larger than life–in “four color splendor”–on my big screen TV. Don’t take my world for it. Check out Batman #251, rendered by the master, Neal Adams, and see for yourself.

3 Likes

Mostly the older stuff. There were so many comics in the silver, bronze @ dark ages that I just didn’t have the money to buy. So now I get to at least read them. I don’t really follow anything that hasn’t been on the service for at least a year. That way if there is an arc, it’s usually resolved by what’s on the service currently.

I also do both classic and more modern when researching villains for the #psychologyofsupervillains club.

2 Likes

I read mostly older stuff,

New 52 and older.

Every so often I’ll check out some new one shots, but I tend to stay away from the month to month comics until they are complete. I hate to stop a story because there is no new material.

Except The Wildstorm, I’m reading that as soon as it comes out.

2 Likes

I mainly read older comics. A huge focus has been 90s and 00s.

1 Like

I read older comics mainly. I been out of comics so long I have a lot of catching up to do.

2 Likes

I’m mostly into older comics. I don’t know when exactly digital ink and paint became the standard (I would guess around 1997 or so, most comics I read are from before then. Whenever the pages went from mattle newsprint to glossy, I guess) but I prefer the older ones, as a rule.

Story arcs also didn’t get dragged out as long in older comics (I firmly dislike most “event” or “crisis” type comics). I stopped attempting to get into comics again around 2009-2010 due to being annoyed by this kind of thing being everywhere. Miniseries are fine but when I have to assemble issues of a half dozen titles like a puzzle you lose me.

3 Likes

I’m finding I like the older ones more. Good stories without ‘trying to hard’ so to speak.

2 Likes

All depends on the writer and artist i personally love everything by the Kubert Family.

2 Likes

I really like Golden and silver age comics. The story lines seem more interesting. Plus, there are a lot of odd characters that don’t get much credit. New comics can have amazing art, but many times the storyline is lacking or just plain boring. Or the cover art is fantastic and the interior art seems rushed. I do love Black Label DC, but it is $$$$

1 Like

I read a bit all over the place. I’ve been mostly reading older titles but when I read newer titles they are a lot faster to read. Currently I’m reading Detective Comics and Batman from the beginning. I’ve started an excel spreadsheet to see how many people Batman has actually killed so far. Right now I’m at 23 people killed by Batman and Robin has killed 2 as of Batman #1 and Detective #39.

3 Likes

90% f what I read are older comics/storylines. I have my pull list at my fav comic book store for the new stuff

3 Likes

Mostly the older books. The more obscured (to me) books I try to read.
And sometimes I do read the newer books too

4 Likes

Older books. Before DCU I only read a few DC collected volumes (Bats, all Bats), so I’m now catching up to a lot of stuff. Starting from late 90s and stopping once I get to new 52. After that, the idea is to do the same for n52, and at the end Rebirth. It will take me a while. :smiley:

3 Likes