[New to DCU] Nightwing: Night Terrors (Ric Grayson Nightwing Vol. 1)

Hey Everyone Click here for my Weekly Note!

Hey everyone! Welcome to our humble abode!! Thanks to everyone who joined us last week and anyone joining us for the first time this week! This club is for those who WANT to get into current comics that are just arriving on DCU. This month we will be playing catchup a little and reading two books a week instead of one. HOWEVER, I’ve chosen an A title and a B title so you can read whichever one you like more! The A title being the STRONG recommendation and the B being a less important one.

February/March Schedule

---------

Week 2
B: Nightwing: Night Terrors #1-6

Week 3
A: Crossover: Wonder Woman: Just War!
B: Justice League Odyssey: Ghost Sector #1-5

Week 4
A: Adventures of the Supersons Vol. 1!!
B: Deathstroke: Arkham

Week 5
A; Flash Force Quest #58-63
B: Green Arrow Finale

Week 6
A: Detective Comics #994-#1000

--------------

So let’s talk about Nightwing: Knight Terrors

Official Description

A young Dick Grayson hopes to escape the shadow of the Bat and earn the title of Nightwing, while an older Dick Grayson must deal with a blow he did not see coming. A common enemy unites the timelines: the Scarecrow! This story explores the mythology and nightmarish development of classic Batman villain Dr. Jonathan Crane! This great new jumping-on point is perfect for readers wanting to catch up with Dick Grayson! Collects issues #50-56.
Writer: Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell, Benjamin Percy
Artist: Christopher Mooneyham, Travis Moore, Garry Brown
Cover: Christopher Mooneyham

Our flair this week: image
:books: WHAT TO READ :books:

Nightwing #50-56

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Nightwing: Night Terrors?
  2. What was your favorite moment in the story?
  3. How did you feel about Ric Grayson (in the volume, not generally speaking)
  4. How do you feel about Ric Grayson generally speaking
  5. How do you feel about the new Nightwings
  6. How do you feel about the title: Knight Terrors
  7. Is Scarecrow compelling and/or used to good effect?
  8. Should we keep reading the series?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I would love to hear your general reactions to the story as well!

When: 2020-03-07T08:00:00Z2020-03-12T07:00:00Z

Primer: If you want one because you want to get more background context before you start, let me know!

Want to join the club for an exclusive ever-changing flair, notifications, AND early access to reading orders? Join the club by clicking this link: DC Universe

Want to chat on discord? Use this link to join over 200 fans! https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me on through messaging.

-----------------------

New to DCU Wiki

2 Likes

Oh, I’ll definitely be looking at this – time to see what all the fuss and wailing and gnashing of the teeth is about. :smiley:

3 Likes

This will be my first time reading this, as well, and I’m a little nervous!

Oh, well, here I go…

I actually think it’s relatively well written, it’s just not a Dick Grayson Story. It’s a story about cities when their hero is missing.

I’ve already read the first couple of issues and it’s not as bad as the reaction made it out to be. It’s still graphic literature done by true professional comic folk.

Maybe it just went on too long?

Yes

I liked the relationship building between Ric and his favorite bartender.

I was very amused by the Scarecrow not recognizing Ric because he smudged black stuff on his face.

He’s okay. I would find him more intriguing if he was a new character and we didn’t know anything about him. As it is, I kind of find myself just waiting for him to figure it all out.

This is the only volume I’ve read so far, so we’ll see how it goes. For now, see my answer above.

I thought they were a little lame for the most part. I did like the fire deputy guy, though.

I don’t have strong feelings either for or against. It’s about a Batfamily character and features the Scarecrow, so works for me.

Yes, I thought his role was interesting. Not sure what his overall plan was other than start some ■■■■, but I liked seeing him interact with “patients.”

I vote yes, I’m a completist and I want to see how the end of Ric and the return of Dick is pulled off.

1. this your first time reading Nightwing: Night Terrors?
    No

2. What was your favorite moment in the story?
    Scarecrow’s flashback to fighting Batman and Robin. I thought his view of Robin was different and intetesting.

3. How did you feel about Ric Grayson (in the volume, not generally speaking)
    Not very positive…

4. How do you feel about Ric Grayson generally speaking
    I think the amnesia plot is overused, but in concept I get why the nature vs nurture aspect of as character can be intriguing to explore. As the ‘heart’ of the Batfamily (for lack of a better term), seeing Dick stripped of his many loved ones is very sad for me. Seeing him actively reject trying to reconnect with them is even more upsetting. I don’t think this (or the subsequent arcs) does a good job of utilizing amnesia to highlight ones true self. There are fleeting moments, but too few and far between… and while recent events help explain why, they also make this whole experience feel like a character sidelining (from City of Bane and Heroes in Crisis events) rather than a character deep dive.

5. How do you feel about the new Nightwings
    Boring. Hutch is ok. I guess I feel bad for the younger brother (Zach?). If the ‘Nightwings’ were meant to highlight facets of Dick as Nightwing, I think they were handled rather poorly and not explored enough - although I’ll admit to being frustrated with the amount of page time they did get compared to Dick/Ric, whose book I actually wanted to read.

6. How do you feel about the title: Knight Terrors
    I like it.

7. Is Scarecrow compelling and/or used to good effect?
    I’m not exactly sure what I was expecting, but I was expecting more than we got…

8. Should we keep reading the series?
    No comment as I read these when they came out and have already read beyond this point.

1 Like

I kinda hate the Ric look, and that probably sours me to the story more than the actual plot does. Furthermore, this “amnesiac hero” territory had already been explored by Scott Snyder in the wake of “Endgame,” and I don’t think enough time had passed to go down this route again, even if it’s with Dick this time instead of Bruce.

1 Like