New Gods

I’m trying to figure out which New Gods/Darkseid stories to read that can be found on this service, as well as which order to read them in.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for the original New Gods stories by Jack Kirby, here they are:

1. Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen #133-148

2. The New Gods #1-11

3. The Forever People #1-11

4. Mister Miracle #1-18

5. New Gods Vol. 2 #6

Kirby was involved with Super Powers Vols. 1 & 2 and used the New Gods there, but those stories are based on the Super Friends animated franchise.

5 Likes

I’ve heard that the Jimmy Olson stuff isn’t exactly that essential to read the New Gods and are more for completionists. Would you say that’s accurate?

1 Like

I’m sure that’s just said by people who don’t like Jimmy Olsen and the Newsboy Legion. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Darkseid makes his first appearance in Jimmy Olsen. Comic book reading orders has a list for New Gods.

2 Likes

The New Gods are tricky because they were created by Jack the King Kirby but were astoundingly boring. So fans are obviously going to want to hang onto anything Kirby created but the New Gods are just a chore to read. Whatever you do, I would say stay away from Kirby’s original series except for the first issue and the fourth issue (issue 4 gives most of the original New Gods lore.)

1 Like

Darkseid War. Female Furies just dropped on here. Orion is great.

1 Like

Final Crisis too.

1 Like

Took the words from my mouth! Lol i was just about to say final crisis, thats what im currently reading.

1 Like

I think the best Darkseid story is the Legion of Superheroes run called The Great Darkness Saga. I recommend reading it, but doubt it’ll ever see a screen adaptation.

3 Likes

I wanna reread it so bad. I was thinking about doing it last night. I love it.

Gonna take that into consideration. Never read it.

2 Likes

That’s also amazing.

1 Like

Superman: Imperious Lex

Accept no substitutes for the original Kirby stuff. They’ve had other scattered series over the years and have been used in various events, though (if you must read a New Gods-focused event, go for Legends, not Final Crisis). I’m told the 2000 Orion series by Walt Simonson is one of the better ones.

2 Likes

It is! That Walt Simonson Orion series is amazing.

1 Like

Nobody beats Kirby.

1 Like

Just going to echo @BatJamags, but say that Final Crisis is something I thoroughly enjoyed, but also something that is rather divisive. People tend to really like it or really dislike it. I fall on the former side, but I don’t necessarily think the latter side is wrong.

1 Like

Final Crisis is my favorite event comic.

2 Likes

Kirby’s stuff is still the absolute best (no surprise really, it’s Kirby afterall), but some other New Gods/Fourth World reads of note are:

• The New Gods (from around 1995 or so)
  • Jack Kibry’s Fourth World (by John Byrne)
  • Orion (Walt Simonson kicked ass on this series)
  • Infinity Man and the Forever People (a New 52 gem)

Kirby’s Super Powers books are great too, in part because they tie into one of the best toy lines ever made, the Super Powers Collection. The third Super Powers series had nothing to do with Kirby, but it’s still a fun read too.