New 52 Superman Positivity Topic

I have just finished The Men of Tomorrow (Superman 32-39) by Geoff Johns with art by John Romita, Jr. The story was excellent but that art was amazing!!!

2 Likes

Superman #39 of that era is one of my favorite Superman stories ever!

4 Likes

That was a great story! It fit perfectly after Men of Tomorrow and it showed many of the reasons why I love Superman.

2 Likes

It was not an unworthy run,ā€¦ it just wasnā€™t the same Man Of Steel! ā€¦ like The New52 in whole ā€¦alienated older fans of the product which is why it was ultimately done away with

2 Likes

There was a quote from Superman in the first issue that has always stuck with me: ā€œI wonā€™t throw the first punchā€¦but I will throw the last.ā€ I always like that line, it feels both aspirational, but also still has a bit of that human, mid-west rugged farmer vibe that I think Clark should have.

3 Likes

Just poppinā€™ in to say I loved New 52 Supes! :blue_heart:

4 Likes

New 52 Superman helped restart my love for DC comics so I have only lots of love and good memories there! Plus Superman Unchained was amazing. Am I the only person that liked the Heā€™el stories?

2 Likes

I enjoyed Hā€™El stories. I think they would have been a bigger highlight if it werenā€™t for Men of Tomorrow and Final Days of Superman.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the Hā€™el stories too. He was an interesting villain.

2 Likes

Has Hā€™El returned since New 52?

2 Likes

I guess my paleolithic preferences of what a comic should be automatically tuned me out to much of the New 52. And this version of Supes tuned me out faster than a speeding bullet. ā€œBad assā€ Superman held no interest for me. When he was literally running around in a t-shirt and blue jeansā€“and beating up peopleā€“I stopped cold turkey after 50 years of reading the character. I returned for Rebirth, and was enjoying the runs by Tomasi and Jurgens, and then Bendis showed up. Uggh! He want from Super-Nazi to Super-Beta. Who respects a Man of Steel who can not hold his family together? What are John Byrne and Marv Wolfman doing these days?

Not that I recall.

Iā€™d be up for him coming back though, along with Ruin and Blackrock.

1 Like

I bought a TPB called Ruin Revealed but I think that is the final part of the story. I just need to figure out if the rest is on DCU! In the meantime, I have been reading Death of Superman which definitely hit the spot! Maybe this is the wrong topic for this but long live the Triangle Era!

1 Like

Thatā€™s from Ruckaā€™s run on Adventures, of which only the Sacrifice issue (#642) is digitally available.

In time, the rest of those issues will hopefully hit the digital scene.

1 Like

I will be keeping an eye for the other TPBs or loose floppies!

1 Like

Luckily, theyā€™re all pretty easy to find, especially the singles.

1 Like

If this is the story I am thinking of it has one of my favorite covers of all time!

1 Like

I unapologetically love New 52 Superman. Morrisonā€™s Action Comics is, in my opinion, the best in-continuity run on a Superman book in the last 40 years. I also loved Greg Pakā€™s Action Comics run, Gene Luen Yangā€™s Superman run, and Geoff Johns return to Superman near the end of New 52. I also loved the Wonder Woman relationship and the Superman/Wonder Woman book that came from it. Honestly, New 52 Superman is my second favorite version of the character only behind Silver Age Superman. I was actually pretty angry about Rebirth, butā€¦ whatā€™s done is doneā€¦

2 Likes

I had a feeling you might have liked this series. In a lot of ways they tried to bring him back to the science fiction stories that have sort of evaporated over the years.

2 Likes

Dudeā€¦ New 52 Superman became like a crusade for me. To me, this era represented a return to form for Superman from all the changes that were made to him by John Byrneā€™s Man of Steel Post-Crisis. I got into A LOT of Internet arguments about this version of the character.

You are absolutely right that the science fiction elements made a big return during the New 52. Also, Morrison and Pakā€™s runs brought him back to his Golden Age social crusader roots.

I was also really hopeful that, since Morrison was establishing Supermanā€™s origins in Action Comics, it would turn into the Superman 2000 run that we never got to see (I will NEVER forgive Mike Carlin for killing Superman 2000). And, yeah, maybe that was a bit naive and New 52 Superman wasnā€™t exactly that. However, it was still different and exciting.

It had itā€™s editorial problems and some less than stellar stories, yes. But, so did Post Crisis Superman. I maintain, to this day, that a lot of the criticisms against this era are unfair and are due to a lot of fans looking back at the Post-Crisis era with nostalgic, rose-tinted glasses.

So, yeah, much love New 52 Supes!

1 Like