Neal Adams, Comic Book Artist, Passes Away at 80

23 Likes

RIP to a Comics Legend.

He changed the industry in so many ways for the better.

16 Likes

First O’Neil, now Adams. The giants are laying down to rest.

F

14 Likes

He’s about two levels above legend, one of the all time greats. His work to get Siegel and Shuster proper credit for creating Superman may be his finest achievement of all.

15 Likes

He changed Batman

Fought for Sigel and Shuster

A DC Daily interview

16 Likes

He was such a talented artist, love his artstyle for Batman in the 70s along with the famous teamup with Green Lantern & Green Arrow.

:batman: :00_lc_green_lantern: :00_green_arrow:

14 Likes

https://twomorrows.com/kirby/articles/17adams.html

13 Likes

hangs head down, eyes closed, in silent honor of a Legend of Legends

14 Likes

Well, today has felt kind of weird because of work stuff but I wasn’t expecting this.

He was one of the great ones.

14 Likes

This makes me so sad. Neal Adams illustrated some of the first comic books I ever read (I was lucky enough to start reading not long after he and Denny O’Neil began work on Batman). When I picture Batman, Hal Jordan, or Green Arrow in my head, they are always drawn by Mr. Adams. Of course, he was also one of the strongest advocates for creator rights. He fought so hard for Siegel and Shuster.

14 Likes

First Denny O’Neil 2 years ago and now Neal Adams :cry:

14 Likes

He’d be an absolute legend just for his activism and fight for creator’s rights. Then on top of that he was one of the greatest artists in the medium. Condolences for his family and RIP to a life well lived.

And DC, would you mind replacing all those awful recolored versions of Adams’s comics with their original versions on your digital platforms? I know Adams did the recoloring himself but they look awful. Those books deserve to be properly archived.

13 Likes

I was saddened to hear of his passing. I had watched some of his live drawing sessions on Instagram and you could tell he loved the fans and being a comic book artist. I felt so lucky to receive advice from him when I entered a comment that I have been drawing for some time and wondered if he had advice for improving. He said copy copy copy the different art styles from artists you like and find your own way. He always seemed to have a kind word but also told it like it was. He will be missed.
Here is a drawing I did as part of theDC Fan Art challenge where I “copied” his style:

And the original cover for reference

Finally I was inspired to draw him as I remembered him tonight. I hope I would have made him proud.

19 Likes

RIP. :cry:

12 Likes

Wow, sad news.

I feel he truly elevated comics to a new level of respectability with the quality of his art at DC starting in the late 1960’s. From the Superman / Action comics covers to his Batman work, he brought excitement and maturity to the stories.

12 Likes

That’s sad. Rest In Peace.

11 Likes

I was lucky enough to meet Neal Adams at a Minneapolis Comic Con. He was so personable and upbeat and fun to chat with. A personal favorite artist of mine. I will miss him dearly.

Rest In Peace Neal. Prayers to you and your family.

16 Likes

Just heard the painful news about Neal Adams. Wow, that hurts. Like @TravisMorgan, I too had the pleasure of meeting the man. I was in New York, and had stopped in at Continuity Studios for some reason or other. Mr. Adams met with me, and resolved whatever issue had brought me there. By the time I left, I had an autographed poster of WARP. His first venture into the world of live theatre. It still hangs in my living room, to this day.

It’s always hard to say goodbye to one of your heroes. Especially when you’ve known them personally. Rest in Peace Neal. I know they’re already making space for you, in that big drawing room in the sky. My heart goes out to your family and friends.

11 Likes

:cry:

Easily one of the most influential artists of all time, not just in comics, but in the world of art itself. Were it not for Adams’ unforgettable pencil along with O’Neil’s deft hand at storytelling Batman would not be what he is today. Full stop.

OTC021

No other villain (save Harvey Dent) has captivated my imagination like R’as Al-Ghul. Adams crafted unforgettable imagery of his and O’Neil’s creation that will stand as a testament to their amazing skills as storytellers for generations to come.

So sad to see him go.

18 Likes

DC
Marvel
Writers
Artists
Note the passing of
Neal Adams

12 Likes